corner corner LORNA DOONE.

LORNA DOONE.
by R.D. Blackmore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 3/22/2011

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Product Description Amazon.co.uk
Set in the south west of England during the turbulent time of Monmouth's rebellion in 1685 and told through the life of young farmer, John Ridd, this is the moving love story of a man determined to right wrongs and win the heart and hand of Lorna Doone.

Abridged Version suitable for younger readers.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, March 28, 2011

I have read this novel before but as I found this abridged version sitting on our bookshelves decided that it would make a suitable read for The Victorian Literature Challenge that I am participating in this year.

This historical romance and adventure story is set in the late 17th century on the wild moors of Exmoor in Devon. The hero of the tale is John Ridd a young man whose father was murdered by a band of outlaws. The notorious Doones of Bagworthy who because of this evil deed John is obsessed with. His obsession leads him to meet and fall in love with the beautiful Lorna Doone. Lorna has been part of the outlaw band since childhood although it is not really where she belongs. John Ridd's rescue of Lorna and the terrible revenge of Carver Doone makes for a thrilling adventure story.

Personally I found this edition to be an excellent abridgment of what is to this day a tale worth reading.

Richard Doddridge Blackmore or R.D. Blackmore as he was more often known was born in Longworth, Berkshire now Oxfordshire, on the 7th of June 1825 and died in Teddington, Middlesex on the 20th January 1900.

Most people do not realise that he was actually one of the more famous English novelists of the second half of the nineteenth century with at least twenty published works. He was also a horticulturist which is probably one of the reasons his novels were widely acclaimed for there descriptions of the countryside. How sad then that the only surviving published work of a man so popular in his lifetime is Lorna Doone. Ironic in fact as this particular novel was not even a favourite of his. It has never been out of print since it’s original publication date.

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Released to a Bookmoocher in France, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/16/2011 UTC) at Released to a Bookmoocher in France, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases

En route to a Bookmoocher in France.
Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading