corner corner Journal~Science Fiction Bookbox

Journal~Science Fiction Bookbox
by Various Bookcrossers | Other
Registered by wingErishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, March 20, 2011

status (set by mathgirl40): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingErishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, March 20, 2011

This is the place to let us know you've received the box and that you've passed it on. Please check the order here, in the event that it has changed. And please remember this box is Science Fiction ONLY.

SF bookbox shipping order:

affinity4books
hyphen8
k00kaburra
judygreeneyes
Erishkigal<<----here home again....for now....

and the box is now on round two~

Please journal in the book what you have taken out and put in. You may do that here as well, if you choose, then others before and after can follow the box.

delivery confirmation number: 0310 2640 0002 2044 3960

I hate to attach lots of rules, but I do ask that you please use delivery confirmation. And be considerate of your fellow bookcrossers. Thanks, and may everyone find books to love :)

Journal Entry 2 by TaleofGenji at North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Monday, March 28, 2011

Box has arrived. Had a bit of trouble journaling, the BCID in the journal is incorrect but I fixed it. :)

Will go through and make selections soon. Contacting next in line for their address.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 3 by TaleofGenji at North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 31, 2011

Taking out:

The Gods Themselves
  • The Hammer of God perryfran
  • 2061: Odyssey Three JudySlump612
  • Maxium Ride The Final Warning Minerva101

Should be able to get this out on Friday. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by TaleofGenji at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Friday, April 01, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/1/2011 UTC) at Montclair, New Jersey USA

On its way to 4thEstate. Thanks for sharing your books!

Journal Entry 5 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Box came in to land here on planet Montclair today. And looking at the address, I see it didn't have far to go. I'll make my selections and get in touch with the next person in line.

Journal Entry 6 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Took me long enough - that's the problem with life getting in the way. But anyways, I've made my picks:

Will pull:

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame - var. authors
    Branch Point - Mona Clee
    Rebel Moon - Bruce Bethke and Vox Day
    Polaris - Jack McDevitt

Journal Entry 7 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/2/2011 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Got the box out in the mail yesterday at last. I'd have gotten it out sooner, but between one thing and another I've had no time to get to the post office these days.

Journal Entry 8 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, May 06, 2011

The box has arrived here today, the day before my birthday! The photo shows it sitting on the leopold bench in my front yard, before I opened it.

After opening it, I was excited to see so many books in it. I counted through them, and found that I have previously read about half. But there are plenty of others to choose from, so this is definitely going to be fun.

Thanks to Erishkigal for launching, and to 4thEstate for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 9 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, May 27, 2011

While I had the box, I read two of the books and put them back:
    Dust, by Elizabeth Bear
    Callahan's Legacy, by Spider Robinson

I took out three books for future reading:
    Prelude to Foundation, by Isaac Asimov
    Branch Point, by Mona Clee
    Mind of My Mind, by Octavia Butler

I put in four books for some next reader:
    The Stars Like Dust, by Isaac Asimov
    Mindbridge, by Joe Haldeman
    Pebble In The Sky, by Isaac Asimov
    Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn

Journal Entry 10 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/28/2011 UTC) at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA

The box was sent this morning to judyslump612 in Minneapolis Minnesota, via media mail, from the Pewaukee Wisconsin post office. Delivery confirmation number 03103490000037430355.

The post office is only 6 miles from my house, and the bookbox did fit in one of my rear bags, so a small part of the box's journey was made under human power, as shown.

Journal Entry 11 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 02, 2011

Box arrived this afternoon, and this is only perfect! I'd been looking forward eagerly to getting this box, and just this morning I mailed off another box and a bookring, so I can get to this right away. Erishkigal, DrSlump will want to take a look at this too, if you don't mind.

Journal Entry 12 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 06, 2011

Very nice box indeed, Erishkigal! If you do another round, please sign me up again.

DrSlump chose:

- Dancer from Atlantis, Poul Anderson
    - Sundiver, David Brin
    - Best from F & SF, various

I contributed:
    - View from the Stars, Miller, Jr.
    - Thirteen, Morgan
    - Doomsday Book, Willis
    - Triplet, Zahn

Mathgirl40 has sent me her address, so this box will go to the PO right after lunch. She warned me that "Canada is under threat of a postal strike. At the moment, the union is just holding short-term localized rotating strikes throughout the country." So if there is a delay in her recording the box's arrival, you will all be aware that the fault is not hers.

Journal Entry 13 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 06, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/6/2011 UTC) at By mail, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Mailed this afternoon. Let's all cross our fingers for the Canadian postal workers!

Journal Entry 14 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The box arrived safely in Canada, and despite the rotating postal strikes, there didn't seem to be much of a delay! Thanks so very much, judyslump612, for sending this across the border so that we Canadians can play too. It is much appreciated. I am looking forward to spending some time with the contents of the box.

Journal Entry 15 by sharpquilter at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mathgirl40 let me have a peak into the bookbox. Wow, great assortment.

I took out one book:
    Dooms Day Book by Connie Willis

and added one:
    Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley

The box is safely with Mathgirl40 waiting the end of the postal strike.

Journal Entry 16 by AwesomeAud at New Dundee, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 22, 2011

MathGirl40 kindly let me have a peek in the book box. I took out two:
    Rebel Moon, by Bruce Bethke, Vox Day
    Lost in Translation, by Edward Willett

And put in three:
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner
    Vigilant, by James Alan Gardner
    Homefall (The Last Legion, Book 4), by Chris Bunch

The box is now awaiting the end of the postal strike so it can get on the road again.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 24, 2011

I really enjoyed going through the books and reading all the entries in the log book! I'm taking the following books out:
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner
    The Postman by David Brin
    The View from the Stars by Walter M. Miller

I'll be replacing these with:
    In the Ocean of the Night by Gregory Benford
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
    Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

The box is still with me, awaiting the end of the Canadian postal strike. Sounds like it will be resolved soon, so I'm hoping the box will be travelling again within a week or so.

Journal Entry 18 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 30, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/30/2011 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

The Canadian postal strike is over! The box is on its way to Minerva101.

Journal Entry 19 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 07, 2011

The box arrived today, safe and sound. I am so happy and excited to go through this journal and all the books in the box!
    I should have it back on the road within the next couple of weeks.

Soooooo excited!!!!
    :-D

Journal Entry 20 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 11, 2011

Very tough to decide what to take and what to add, but here it is......
    I have taken out:
    Darwin's Children by Greg Bear
    Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (for my kids)
    The Final Warning by James Patterson (also for my kids)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
    Turning Point by Lisanne Norman
    Telempath by Spider Robinson
    Assignment in Eternity by Robert A. Heinlein
    Destiny's Road by Larry Niven (AWESOME book!)
    Code Blue Emergency by James White
    All the Myriad Ways by Larry Niven

I had a lot of fun writing in the journal after I read all the previous entries - very fun to get to know you all better. And I packaged up the box in a new box with some fancy stickers on it.
    Off to perryfran!

Journal Entry 21 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/12/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I mailed the box to perryfran today.
    Expedited Post Tracking #CX 434 711 266 CA
    Enjoy!
    :-D

Journal Entry 22 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, July 18, 2011

Box arrived today - what a great selection to choose from! Thanks Erishkigal for starting this one and Minerva101 for mailing from Canada - looked to be a little expensive.. I have had some books set aside for this box so only problem will be deciding which ones to take out. I'll try to get this one traveling again in a few days.

Spent a couple of hours looking through the box and selected 10 books!:

7. Space Vampires - Colin Wilson
    8. Dare - Phil Farmer
    9. Hot Sky at Midnight - Silverberg
    10. Outpost - Mackay

I'll get this traveling again as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 23 by wingperryfranwing at Bryan, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/19/2011 UTC) at Bryan, Texas USA

Heading to affinity4books in Texas. Have fun!

USPS DC# 0310 1230 0000 5942 9234

Journal Entry 24 by wingaffinity4bookswing at Bryan, Texas USA on Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's here! I love the planet stickers on the outside- I could tell right away which box it was. I'm looking forward to reading the journal and perusing the books!

I selected:
    Outpost
    Ishmael
    Spin

and added:
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    Chaos come again by Baird
    Wyrms by Orson Scott Card

Journal Entry 25 by wingaffinity4bookswing at Bryan, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/10/2011 UTC) at Bryan, Texas USA

Mailing to Hawaii today! Hyphen8 said it may take up to 3 weeks to arrive. Thanks for letting me participate ! loved reading the journal too

Journal Entry 26 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, August 25, 2011

The box and its hot pink journal (I tried to adjust the color of the scan, but YMMV) arrived today. I had fun reading the entries by earlier box participants and looking through the selection in the box.

I have a bunch of books set aside as potential tenants of this box, so I'll have to make up my mind what I'm taking out and putting in.

Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 27 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Here's what I'm putting in - I've read almost all of these; only a couple are TBRs that I have more than one copy of.

Callahan's Key (read)
    Requiem (TBR)
    Logan's Run (read)
    Lunar Descent (TBR)
    Mortals and Monsters (read)
    Raft (read?)
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Galaxy (read)
    Jumper (read)
    Other Worlds of Clifford Simak (read)
    Fuzzy Sapiens (read)

The Outcasts of Heaven Belt
    A Talent for War
    Ender's Game
    The Space Vampires
    Glory Road (want to re-read this one)
    Tunnel in the Sky (want to re-read this one)
    All the Myriad Ways (want to re-read this one)
    Venus
    Chaos Come Again
    Homefall
    Dare

I have k00kaburra's address and the box should go out tomorrow; I'll post the DC number here once I have it.

Journal Entry 28 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Thanks for including me in this box, and happy reading to all!

Delivery Confirmation: 0310 0480 0000 6914 3911

Edit: I was surprised to see that the receipt said expected delivery was September 6 - it usually takes significantly longer...but on 9/6 the status was still "acceptance" - as in it hadn't gotten anywhere else yet (I'm guessing it was on a boat). At least it seems to have eventually arrived.

Journal Entry 29 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 15, 2011

The SciFi Bookbox is here :)

Journal Entry 30 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sending a second PM to judygreeneyes; the first PM, sent Sept. 15th, has not been replied to.

Journal Entry 31 by wingk00kaburrawing at BOOKBOX, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/26/2011 UTC) at BOOKBOX, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sending on to judygreeneyes! :)

Journal Entry 32 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, September 30, 2011

The book box arrived in beautiful San Diego today!! I'm so excited -- I'll make my selection and additions and pass it forward again. Thanks all!

BTW -- hyphen8 -- I loved A Talent For War!

Journal Entry 33 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Book box is now ready to go travelling again, back home to Erishkigal. Will add delivery confirmation when I get it.

Journal Entry 34 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, November 19, 2011

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

The box has arrived home! It came just before I went in to the theater last night, and so when I made it home, I enjoyed reading the journal while I drank tea and unwound (that was in in the wee hours of this morning. What fun to read and get to know a little about each of you! Tom, several have already asked about a second round, so we'll give it a few months then go again, and then you will be able to read all those that wrote after you ;-)

The books look to be quite the collection. As judygreeneyes mentioned, there are mostly older books, which means I've read quite a few of them. But there are old ones I've never heard of ~and hope turn out to be undiscovered gems!~~ and some that made me smile when I saw them, that I will definitely reread, despite my towering tbr (The Martian Chronicles!!!). And then there is the delighted surprise of books like John Varley's "Mammoth." I've loved his writing since Titan began the Gaian Trilogy, and this is totally unknown to me :-)

Life is a bit frantic here (the only night we're not doing the show, I'm going to an inipi), so I may not get a chance to start journaling individual books till next weekend.

And thanks to whoever included the BOOK in many languages bookmark~~perfect!

Journal Entry 35 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

and here is what arrived in the box when it came back to Utah

Old Man's War by John Scalzi
    Matrix by Douglas R Mason
    Other Worlds of Clifford Simak
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Galaxy by Keith Laumer
    and a F&SF :)

Journal Entry 36 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hi,

this is to give you a heads-up, there will be a second round for this box, starting in April or May. I've decided to limit the time-frame this round to 1990-2012. Although I'm reading books in this time-frame by authors I know I like, I'm also reading a lot of new-to-me authors~it's taking me awhile to work up a good varied selection to start with.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Journal Entry 37 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, July 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/5/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Finally in the mail! I'm leaving tomorrow to attend a ceremony on "the Big Rez," and was determined it would be moving by the time I leave.

I think it's a really good, diverse selection, and I hope you do too.

If there are changes in the shipping order, I will post them here. A couple of reminders~~please use delivery confirmation/tracking, and try to move the box along in a couple of weeks or so (per person, not per city). Just let me know if you need longer, or are coming up on your summer vacation when the box is due, or otherwise need to switch order.

I am thrilled we have so much great bxing cooperation in shared mailing! But I must admit, because of that I did put in a few more books than I had planned; it's started with 26 books. Still, if it's too much when it crosses borders, feel free to take out extras. Or choose the heavy books first :P

ENJOY!!
    Find Great Books~~Add Great Books!!!

shipping order:

judygreeneyes (CA)
    JudySlump/DrSlump (MN)
    quietorchid (MN)
    boojum (MN)
    ?t-bonham? (MN)
    the MN contingent will then share shipping to
    Minerva101 (Can)
    perryfran (UT)
    hyphen8 (Hawaii)<---here
    TomHl (WI)
    kyoteefoxx (PA)
    who will send it home to me

Journal Entry 38 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, July 12, 2012

The book box is now safely in San Diego. I took a quick look through it last night, there are lots of great books. Now to decide....

Journal Entry 39 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, August 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/1/2012 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Off by mail to JudySlump/DrSlump (MN)
    Delivery Confirmation Number: 0311 2550 0001 1863 1476

"Saturn's Children" by Charles Stross
    "The Illegal Rebirth of Billy the Kid" by Rebecca Ore
    "The Changed Man" by Orson Scott Card
    "Eternity Road" by Jack McDevitt

If you are interested in reading Nekropolis, Vitals, or Passage, let me know and I'll send them to you when I am finished reading.

Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 40 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

The box is here! And the Twin Cities meetup isn't until Aug. 19, so if I abandon all responsibility I can indulge myself in a HUMONGOUS reading orgy, starting...right...now!

Journal Entry 41 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

OK, everything is finally straightened out. Here's what the Twin Cities group took:

DrSlump & JudySlump:

- Illegal Rebirth of Billy the Kid, Ore
    - Nation, Pratchett

T-Bonham:
    - Alien Sex, Datlow, Ed.

And here's what we put back in:
    Slumps:

- Marque and Reprisal, Moon
    - Once a Hero, Moon

T-Bonham
    - Bolos, various

Box mailed off to the True North this afternoon!

Journal Entry 42 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 31, 2012

Squeeeeeeee!!!!!! The box arrived!! And can you tell how happy I am????

Just at a quick glance, this looks like the most amazing sci-fi box yet! I will be taking my time to go through it all and will get it back on the road on Sept 14th, which is my next payday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Erishkigal, for organizing another quality round of the sci-fi box and many more thank you's to JudySlump612 for being so amazing and shipping to Canada!

Journal Entry 43 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 07, 2012

I am soooooo thankful for the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada to get caught up on my bookcrossing backlog that has stacked up over the past month of chaos and insanity.....
    Whew!
    So, I had a completely therapeutic afternoon going through this box over and over to try to decide what to take out and what to add.

I have decided to take out 7 books:

Mindscan by Robert J. Sawyer
    Marseguro by Edward Willet
    Terra Insegura by Edward Willet
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan

Thank you for another stellar Sci-Fi Bookbox Eishkigal! I will be looking forward to making my through these great selections as time permits.
    I will release this box as soon as I get a mailing address from Mathgirl40 and her gang in Ontario and will include the tracking number in the release notes.

P.S I LOVED the initial journal entry for this round by Erishkigal in the pink journal accompanying the bookbox - the little cutout pictures of the books are awesome! And thank you to JudySlump612 for the complete list of books in the box! You gals are fabulous!

Jan 11/13 - I am editting this entry to mention that AwesomeAud in Ontario took out and journalled Hammerjack even though she did not make an entry into the Bookbox Journal.

Journal Entry 44 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/20/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I FINALLY got to the post office with this Bookbox! Sooooooooo sorry for the delay! Life took over in a big way........
    Anyways, fabulous Bookbox and it is now on its way to mathgirl40 - Canada Post tracking number is 0056 4800 0098 5405
    I was quoted 5-6 business days for delivery and was pleasantly surprised that the shipping on this great big box was only around $23!!!! Wow!
    Hope all the Ontario Bookcrossers enjoy this Bookbox as much as I did and yet another thank you to Erishkigal for organizing this :)
    Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 45 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 26, 2012

The bookbox has arrived in Kitchener-Waterloo! I had to rush off to work so didn't get a chance to go through it carefully, but at first glance, it looks like a fantastic and diverse collection of books. I hope to get together with the other KW-area BookCrossers soon so that we can make our exchanges. Thanks, Erishkigal, for initiating this second round, and thanks, Minerva101, for sending the box across the country!

Journal Entry 46 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 11, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/11/2012 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

I brought this to a meeting of the Kitchener-Waterloo BookCrossers and we had an excellent time looking through the box, followed by lunch at the Princess Cafe! There was a nice, diverse selection of books and it was tough to choose, but in the end, I took the following out:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
    Mindscan by Robert Sawyer
    A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold

and I put the following in:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
    The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi
    Brasyl by Ian Mcdonald

I really enjoyed reading the journal entries and seeing the postcards and other inserts. I've passed the box onto AwesomeAud who will be sending it off to the next recipient in the next few days.

Journal Entry 47 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Hello Everyone!

I joined the Kitchener-Waterloo group to take part in the bookbox. We had a wonderful lunch together and then I was invited to sit in on a Women's Sci-fi book club, which (even though I hadn't read the book) was a fun discussion.

The books I took from the box were:
    The Family Tree by Sheri S. Tepper
    Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
    Marseguro and Terra Insegura by Edward Willet
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

At this point I can't remember what I added but I know it was five books. As soon as I figure it out I will edit this entry.

Journal Entry 48 by sharpquilter at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 09, 2012

It was a fun visit with the book box and my fellow bookcrossers. I took one book from the box and have already read and journaled it. I added a tiny little book about Scotch. I know it didn;t fit the sci-fi theme, but I thought it might find a willing reader.

Journal Entry 49 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Arrived in the mail today from Ontario - thank you!

Journal Entry 50 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 25, 2013

Okay, I've made my choices.

Will pull:

SpaceCops: Mindblast - Diane Duane and Peter Norwood
    Trading in Danger - Elizabeth Moon
    Stardoc - S. J. Viehl
    Sisters of the Raven - Barbara Hambly

Will get the box back out on the road ASAP. Thanks!

Journal Entry 51 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (2/2/2013 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Got the box off into the mail. It's now on its way to affinity4books out in Texas.

Journal Entry 52 by wingaffinity4bookswing at Bryan, Texas USA on Friday, February 08, 2013

It's here! Great selection of old friends and new-to-me titles. Looking forward to reading the journal too.

Journal Entry 53 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, February 25, 2013

The postman brought this to my door this morning. This is my second go round for this box - looks like a lot of good selections. I have some books set aside for this so I should be able to move it on soon.

Journal Entry 54 by wingperryfranwing at Erishkigal's Science Fiction Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (2/27/2013 UTC) at Erishkigal's Science Fiction Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I removed 6 books from the box and added 8 (these are detailed in the physical journal). Thanks again Erishkigal for organizing this great box. I will get it in the mail to hyphen8 soon.

USPS DC# 9549010636733058512649

Journal Entry 55 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, March 14, 2013

The hot pink journal is here! Boy, I was sure long-winded last time. :p

Including the journal, the box has 32 books in it - I'm trying to think of something nice I can do for my mail carrier to say thank you for lugging all the bookboxes I've been getting recently!

Thanks for including me - it looks like I'm going to have to make some tough decisions since there are lots of goodies in there. I'll get the box moving again as soon as I can.

Almost forgot: here's a picture of the cute bookmarks that were included in the box - I love the superpower version.

Journal Entry 56 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Box mailed to Wisconsin: DC #9549 0104 7916 3081 3655 04
    12 lbs, 10.8 oz

Since the box had grown a bit, Erishkigal gave me permission to take 6 extra books for our May giveaway at the Hawaii Book & Music Festival

Put in 10:
    (asterisk means I read a copy at some point)

Aggressor Six

Midshipman's Hope
    Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
    A Scientific Romance
    Spin
    Stardoc - doesn't seem to be registered?
    Thirteen
    Trading in Danger
    Utopia

If the person who put the Stardoc in the box wants to register it and send me the BCID, I'll add it to the book.

Thank you for including me!

Journal Entry 57 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

After nearly two years of travel, this bookbox has returned to me for its second visit. Here is a photo of the 25 SF books plus 1 hot pink journal on the same leopold bench as last time. Clearly, from the background, you can know that they are no longer in Hawaii.

Journal Entry 58 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, March 30, 2013

While I had the box, I read one of the books and put it back:
    Jumper, by Steven Gould

I took out two books for future reading:
    Steel Beach, by John Varley
    The Jericho Iteration, by Allen Steele

I put in two books for some next reader:
    Branch Point, by Mona Clee
    Mindkiller, by Spider Robinson

Journal Entry 59 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/10/2013 UTC) at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA

The box was sent this morning to kiyoteefoxx in Littlestown Pennsylvania, via media mail, from the Pewaukee Wisconsin post office. Delivery confirmation number 9552110921213100418250.

Note added 17-May-2013: For the past month, whenever entering that tracking number at usps.com, I get the message "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office. ", which I do not find informative. So, today I took my receipt to the post office where the bookbox was mailed on 10-Apr-2013, and they looked it up in their system. They told me the box was delivered on 15-Apr-2013 at 1:15pm.

Journal Entry 60 by kiyoteefoxx at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

sorry the bookbox stalled on me, at least I was at the end of the line :) Life has been in a serious upheaval and am now only getting it straightened out.

Its here, its intact and will be heading home tomorrow morning.

I wont bore you with details but I do apologize for the stall.

Journal Entry 61 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, August 16, 2013

The HOT Pink journal is home again! Thank you all for participating :)

On first quick perusal of the box, I expect to be passing more on than keeping and reading~~Largely both because I'm so far behind, and because In 3-4 months I shall be downsizing from a 5 bedroom house to a 1or two bedroom place, which means that tons of accumulated stuff has got to go. Including books :( So if it doesn't jump out as one I've got to read....

I'll try to get the books all journalled this weekend. If one of yours is still here, and it's one you think i won't want to miss, let me know . And if there are booksin the box, on my shelf that you'd like to read, let me know that, too. As I cut back on books in my possession, I'll send as many as I can afford to to other bookcrossers.

And lastly, since this box last went to Canada, US rates to there have doubled, making mailing a box nigh impossible. So I'm asking how to make this work in the future~~ ideas?
    Does it have to go entirely vbb? Or since within US a box is wayyy less to mail than all the books individually, is there some way we can work a combination?

Please post your thoughts!

Journal Entry 62 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, August 16, 2013

arriving in Utah:

Young Miles/ Bujold
    Hero/ Moon
    Double Contact/ White
    Marseguro/Willett

Journal Entry 63 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, August 16, 2013

OK, I'll jump in.

First, thank you for starting this off. You put a lot of very good books in; it was easily one of the best boxes I've ever gotten. Being specific about no fantasy, and a time frame that encouraged newer books worked beautifully. If you don't want to invest the time or work to do it again, we'll understand. But I have a sneaky hope that you do. Perhaps a shrinking box will help you clear off your shelves?

Second, the two books I'd recommend are 'Altered Carbon' and 'Young Miles.' You can see from the JE's that Minerva 101, Hyphen8 and I all liked Altered Carbon, and I first discovered it on the NPR Top 100 list. Lois McMaster Bjuold has won four Hugos (and is up for another one this year), two of them for the novellas included in Young Miles. So I think they're both worth your attention.

Finally, I really want to continue including Canada. Luckily I live in an area with many other SF fans who may chip in to help with postage, but even if not, the Canadians are such a super group, I'm willing to pay whatever it takes. They always put in excellent books, often by authors that are new to me. So if you decide to do another round, and if the Canadians are still interested, please consider that problem solved.

Journal Entry 64 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 16, 2013

I will jump in, too.
    First - I LOVE THIS BOX :) It is the one box I look forward to so much every year
    Second - I would prefer a physical box - VBB's just aren't as exciting or fun - I love physically opening the box and sifting through the contents
    Third - I LOVE JUDYSLUMP612 - if she is willing to continue to send it north, then I am happy to send it south again
    Last - I LOVE ERISHKIGAL AND SCI-FI

And I LOVE Bookcrossing
    Have a happy day everyone!

Journal Entry 65 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 16, 2013

We in the Southwestern Ontario area love the Sci-Fi bookbox too! I'm very grateful that you've all been willing to share the box with us the past two rounds, though I'll understand completely if you feel postage is prohibitive. Thank you, JudySlump612, for your kind words about Canadian BookCrossers. As for Minerva101's comments, I can only say, "Ditto!" Normally, a few of us here are willing to share postage so the cost is not an issue, but even if the others are not interested in future rounds, I'd be happy to send the box back to the US myself.