corner corner Howards End is on the Landing: A year of reading from home

Howards End is on the Landing: A year of reading from home
by Susan Hill | Nonfiction
Registered by NICNIC2 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/15/2011

status (set by NICNIC2): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by NICNIC2 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I read this on one winter day when the snow kept me home. Nothing beats a pot of coffee and a good book. I really enjoyed reading this and it inspired me to read some of the works discussed in the book. Great read - I'm going to offer this as a bookring.

This book is travelling in a bookring!
Here are some gentle rules for my bookrings/rays:

1. Please don't feel under pressure to read the book at break-neck speed but do try to finish it within a month (if you need longer than this then add a journal entry to let us know :) )
2. Don't panic if the book dies while you have it, just PM me so I can get a replacement up and running.
3. Please journal when you receive the book, then edit that journal entry or add a new one to let us all know what you thought.
4. Make release notes when you have sent the book on to the next member.

I hope everyone enjoys reading the book. I'm looking forward to reading all of your comments.

Bookring participants (in order of shipping - please check back as this can change!!):

CountofMonte (UK)
madmadge (UK)
Originalmulli (UK)<--here
AngelChild (UK)
akosikulot (Phillipines)
NICNIC2 (UK)

Journal Entry 2 by NICNIC2 at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/22/2011 UTC) at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to CountofMonte in the first leg of our bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by countofmonte at Heanor, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 24, 2011

Received this morning. Thank you. It looks wonderful and I have started it already!

Journal Entry 4 by countofmonte at Heanor, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 27, 2011

Finished this last night. It was a luxurious romp through Susan Hill's personal library, evaluating her favourites, her dislikes, her "impossibles" and her yet-to-reads, culminating in her much-mused-over top 40 books.
She also talked about the people and places in her past.
Very enlightening and inspiring.
Thank you very much for the chance to read this NicNic2.

It will be off to Madmadge in the morning.

Journal Entry 5 by countofmonte at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, March 27, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/28/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Posting on to the next reader in this bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This book was waiting for me when I got home on a rainy morning and it cheered me up to find it. I'm looking forward to reading this one and will soon be finishing a book so that this one can replace it.

Thank you NICNIC for including me and Countof for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 7 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, April 07, 2011

I enjoyed this book in which Susan Hill takes us on a journey through her numerous books and talks about how they have shaped her life or not, as the case may be. She also relates her encounters with numerous very famous authors. The one I found most touching was her last meeting with Iris Murdoch when she was in the grips of Alzheimer's Disease. It moved me to tears.

Will PM the next in line but it won't be travelling until I come back from my holiday in Cornwall next week.

Journal Entry 8 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/20/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Posting this off to Originalmulli tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011

Received this yesterday, thank you very much madmadge for sending it on.

I've just dipped into the first couple of pages so far and it's already inspiring me to do a similar thing with my own book collection! .....although that would mean not signing up for any more rings for a while, so maybe not. :) Can't wait to get into it properly in a few days time.

Journal Entry 10 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2011

I enjoyed this, because it's made me want to read loads of the books Susan Hill talks about - my wish list has quadrupled in size this evening!! However, it doesn't make me want to read anything else by Susan Hill; I found this a bit of a tedious read towards the end. It's feels like just a collection of notes with no particular reason for the order of the chapters and no structure or progression through the year that I could discern. I'm glad to have read it though, just because of the new authors it's inspired me to try. Plus I will tackle my own collection of never-read books! Thanks for sharing, I have PMed for the next address so hopefully it will be on its way shortly.

Journal Entry 11 by Originalmulli at Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/24/2011 UTC) at Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom

Angelchild asked to be skipped, and it proved impossible to contact akosokulot, so I have posted this book home to NICNIC2.

Journal Entry 12 by NICNIC2 at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Arrived home to me a while back - forgot to journal!!

Will be releasing in the wild soon :)

Journal Entry 13 by NICNIC2 at Largo Cemetery in Upper Largo, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (8/9/2011 UTC) at Largo Cemetery in Upper Largo, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at the foot of a beautiful tree in Largo cemetery.

If you're new to BookCrossing - welcome! I hope you will enjoy the site as much as I have. BookCrossing is about spreading literature around the world for free. Please make a journal entry for the book you have found so we can see where it travels to next. You can do this anonymously if you like but if you decide to join (its free!!) please consider entering me (NICNIC2) as your referring member. I don't receive anything for this but I like knowing that I've encouraged someone else to catch the BookCrossing bug! Happy reading!!

This book has been released as part of BC Monopoly 2011 for Team Battleship's tree-themed release!