corner corner The Forgotten Garden: A Novel

The Forgotten Garden: A Novel
by Kate Morton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Kally93 of Brantford, Ontario Canada on 3/10/2011

status (set by OneMorePage): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Kally93 from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 25, 2011

Somewhat predictable but still a very fun read.

Journal Entry 2 by Kally93 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/29/2011 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

I sent this to a BCer as a RABCK. I hope they get it in time.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, April 15, 2011

Great, this was on my wishlist !
And I'm still speechless because of all the nice presents that were with it.
It was just ... too much ... and so so nice of you.
I am still smiling ! ! ! !
I received it friday, when I had to go on a businesstrip monday, so I couldn't make an entry earlier I am sooooo sorry, but then ... the package did come in extra handy, because I used the lunch bag for my trip as a make up bag, and the socks I took with me, and the almonds I ate at once (I 'm emigrating !, watch out, I'm coming :) ) and also the maple leaf syrup candy ... (i wouldn't make a long-lived squirrel ... first winter I'd starve with my fat summerbelly) ... and the icehocky guesttowel and ...

Journal Entry 4 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (12/27/2011 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

This book is absolutely fantastic. What a pageturner. I just couldn't put it donw. Lucky we have holidays right now, bit unfortunate of all the work i did not do because I had to read it till the end. I did 'get the picture' way before the end, which somewhat spoiled the plot for me, but her writing is sooooo good, I kept being totally hooked.
I'm now sending this to eponine because I tagged her with it in the taggame, and because I'm sending out my secret angel parcel in which it can easily hike along.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Thank you for this book from the wishlist-tag game. I can't wait to read it, especially based on your enthusiastic review!

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Loved this book! I did have some trouble keeping the characters (and the different time periods) straight at first, but after writing them down on a "cheat sheet" for myself it got easier. I liked the fact that the story was told from the perspective of different characters, and it was fun trying to piece together who knew what when. I didn't figure very much out ahead of being told, so it kept me guessing and was nearly impossible to put down - read it almost straight through.

I consider a book to be a gem when I really, really hate the bad characters - and a couple in this novel are pure evil :-)

Wish I'd read this much sooner - apparently I was intimidated by the book's length (549 pages), but I needn't have been because it sure did go quickly!

Thanks again for sharing this!

Edited 4/15/14 to add bookray information:
Shipping order:

Aberpeter (WA)
joan13 (WA)
valpete (CA) <----- Book is here 14 July 2014

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 31, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/1/2014 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to Aberpeter to kick off the ray. Safe travels!

Released for 2014 4 Elements challenge.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

the book is here! I will start it as soon as I finish the book I am currently reading

Journal Entry 9 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, April 18, 2014

What an excellent novel!

On Nell's 21st birthday her father confides in her she is not who she thought she was. When she was only 4 years old she was left abandoned on the docks at the shipping yard. With no identification and no one looking for her, Hugh brings her home for the night. Days turn into weeks, weeks into years and Nell is raised to believe Hugh and Lil are her birth parents. When Hugh passes away, Nell starts a journey to discover her past when her focus changes and she takes over raising her granddaughter, Cassandra. Upon Nell's death, Cassandra discovers there is more to her grandmother's past than she has been led to believe and picks up the pieces where Nell left off all those years ago and discovers what happened to Nell's birth parents and why she was left abandoned.

Kate Morton weaves the tale flawlessly through different time periods and characters over a span of 90 years. Although I had the ending figured out long before I reached it, I couldn't put the book down.

Journal Entry 10 by Aberpeter at Bothell, Washington USA on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/26/2014 UTC) at Bothell, Washington USA

meeting Joan13 at a nearby coffee shop to pass off the book rather than dropping the book in the mail.

Journal Entry 11 by joan13 at Bothell, Washington USA on Saturday, April 26, 2014

I got this book in Bothell, WA this morning as part of the bookring/bookray from Aberpeter. Thanks so much for passing this book on to me, for the latte and for taking the time to meet me in person. I look forward to reading it and then passing in on to the next reader on the ray/ring. Thanks eponine38 for making a bookring/ray after you read it. And, also thanks to Kally93 for starting this book's bookcrossing journey. Happy Reading everyone!
Update: I finally worked this one in!! It was an enjoyable read. Although I did figure out some of the secret(s) and plot twists before they were revealed, it was very well written. I enjoyed how the author tells the story from several time frames w/a variety of characters, spinning back & forth to reveal the entire picture. It will be off to Valpete as soon as I get her address. Thanks for including me for this book!

Journal Entry 12 by joan13 at Lynnwood, Washington USA on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/10/2014 UTC) at Lynnwood, Washington USA

Released via outbound mail to valpete in CA. Happy Reading! Enjoy.

Journal Entry 13 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, July 14, 2014

Thanks for sending this along. I have a few before it, but promise to read it and send it on its way.

Journal Entry 14 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, February 21, 2015

I now find that I have signed up for 2 Rays for this same book and the next one has arrived. So, I'll be sending this as a RABCK to someone with it on her Wishlist.

Journal Entry 15 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, February 21, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/21/2015 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by OneMorePage at Mission Viejo, California USA on Monday, April 27, 2015

Please do forgive me, BCers - this arrived ages ago, and has been unregistered on my nightstand ever since. I am so sorry for the delay. Eager to start this one - thanks for the RABCK, Valpete!