corner corner The Hound of the Baskervilles: Complete and Unabridged (Puffin Classics)

The Hound of the Baskervilles: Complete and Unabridged (Puffin Classics)
by Arthur Conan Doyle | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 06, 2011

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 06, 2011

Picked up at The Book Thing in Baltimore, MD.

I read another copy of this a while back, and this is what I had to say then:

I’ve read a fair number of Sherlock Holmes mysteries, but this was the first novel-length one I’ve picked up. Holmes is called in to get to the bottom of the death of a man connected to a family legend of a hellhound. Holmes and Watson of course do not believe in the supernatural, and their methodical tying up of all the loose threads is fascinating, particularly considering this was written in a time before fingerprinting and DNA evidence. I suppose there are those who do not enjoy having every single minute detail explained, but to me that’s what delights me most about Holmes stories: he loves to explain how he came to every single one of his seemingly random deductions. I especially like Holmes’s childlike enthusiasm when faced with a challenge: the more difficult it is, the more he enjoys himself. Perhaps the most memorable aspect of this story, however, is how much of it is solved by Watson on his own. Evidently his many years as Holmes’s companion have rubbed off on him. My husband has a huge tome o’ Holmes on our bookshelf; I may have to read more of it.

Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 13, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/13/2011 UTC) at Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Releasing during the Old Town Alexandria release walk with BCinDC.

Join me April 15-17 for the 2011 BookCrossing Convention in Washington, D.C.!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 20, 2011

What a nice surprise to find this book! My husband is a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, and he is currently deployed overseas. The book ended up keeping me company for a nice lunch in Old Town, and made me feel a little closer to him. I was getting ready to set the book free again before finishing it, but the review below convinced me I should keep reading before sending it along. Thanks!