corner corner Up the Down Staircase

Up the Down Staircase
by Bel Kaufman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by eastbaybookmisr of Oakland, California USA on 3/3/2011

status (set by catsalive): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by eastbaybookmisr from Oakland, California USA on Thursday, March 03, 2011

1966 Avon paperback, with a 95 cents cover price, of the 1964 #1 bestseller and Selection of Book-of-the-Month Club and Reader's Digest Condensed Book Club. This was on my list of best past popular novels to read when I bought this copy yesterday for 10 cents from the sale shelf of Dimond Library.

Edit December 18, 2011: This was pretty good, amusing and a bit touching. Told almost entirely through a series of memos and such, this is a tale of a fresh young NYC high school teacher in the mid '60s. I expected it to be dated by now, but NYC was a rough crowd, so it seems relevant with today's wild youth still.

Journal Entry 2 by eastbaybookmisr at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/18/2011 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

... will be sending as a wishlist package.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thank you, eastbaybookmisr, for this book. I am a little late at coming to read it, but I am sure it will be enjoyable. I usually enjoy teacher books.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Picking it up to begin reading tomorrow.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Really enjoyed the people. It seems that not a whole lot has changed education. Teacher still have more paperwork to do than there is time allotted for, lack of supplies, and students not really desiring to learn when they walk the doors. I was surprised that the book wasn't dated. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher I could relate to all that she was writing about. The list of debits and credits page 254 could have been written today with just a few minor changes. Don't know why this took me so long to get to but thank you for sharing it with me; it was a very enjoyable read

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, January 06, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/6/2014 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! To Tabby-cat-owner for the ABC VBB -- This is a Keep Them Moving book.

Journal Entry 7 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I received this in the mail from booklady331 of Cape Coral, Florida. I selected this book from the Already Been Crossed VBB (abc vbb).

Thanks so much for this book, booklady331. I remember seeing the movie many years ago and look forward to reading the book.

Journal Entry 8 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, May 19, 2015

At first, it seemed rather cumbersome to read all the memos, notes and letters that make up this story, but it got more interesting and was quite a good book, very amusing at times, but also somewhat sad to read about the lack of advantages available to the inner-city school students. This book was dated but it was interesting to read about high school life in the 1960s. The feelings and struggles experienced by the teachers and students back then are similar to those experienced by teachers and students today. That is what makes this book timeless.

Journal Entry 9 by tabby-cat-owner at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 23, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/23/2015 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book has been sent to J4Shaw of Kiribati. I tagged her with this book in a wishlist tag game.

I hope you enjoy this book, J4Shaw.

Journal Entry 10 by J4shaw at Tarawa Island, -- Not a city, Geographical features, etc. -- Kiribati on Tuesday, July 07, 2015

This little book arrived safely in Tarawa yesterday.
Thank you tabby-cat-owner for sending this Wishlist Book from the Wish List Tag Game - Parallel Thread
I love the bookmark you included too, thank you.

Journal Entry 11 by J4shaw at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 23, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (7/23/2017 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Going in the 3kg satchel as part of the big moving overseas book cull.
I've purchased this as an eBook, so will add my review when I've read it.
Off to Catsalive

Journal Entry 12 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Thanks for tagging me, J4Shaw.