corner corner Stuart

Registered by worldbooknight on 2/25/2011

status (set by Soozreader): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by worldbooknight on Friday, February 25, 2011

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing and thanks for being a part of World Book Night 2011, the largest book giveaway in history. 1,000,000 specially printed copies of 25 different books changed hands on March 5th 2011 and began their journey from reader to reader. This book is one of them. World Book Night has joined with BookCrossing to help track these books as they travel. You can be a part of that journey by making a comment in the book's journal here on BookCrossing. Your journal entry can say how you got the book, what you thought of it, your plans for it or whatever else you might like to add.

On BookCrossing you may choose to remain anonymous or join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID). It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Thanks in advance for being part of World Book Night and BookCrossing. And happy reading and sharing.

Journal Entry 2 by worldbooknight at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/25/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This book is being released via BookCrossing on 5 March 2011 as part of the inaugural World Book Night. With the full support of the Publishers Association, the Booksellers Association, the Independent Publishers Guild, the Reading Agency with libraries, World Book Day and the BBC, one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland.

Read and release!

Journal Entry 3 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Thursday, March 03, 2011

Actually this is "Toast" by Nigel Slater.

Toast is my choice to give away to celebrate World Book Night 2011.
We love food, we love good books!

"Toast is Nigel Slater's truly extraordinary story of a childhood remembered through food. In each chapter, as he takes readers on a tour of the contents of his family's pantry—rice pudding, tinned ham, cream soda, mince pies, lemon drops, bourbon biscuits—we are transported....
His mother was a chops-and-peas sort of cook, exasperated by the highs and lows of a temperamental stove, a finicky little son, and the asthma that was to prove fatal. His father was a honey-and-crumpets man with an unpredictable temper. When Nigel's widowed father takes on a housekeeper with social aspirations and a talent in the kitchen, the following years become a heartbreaking cooking contest for his father's affections. But as he slowly loses the battle, Nigel finds a new outlet for his culinary talents, and we witness the birth of what was to become a lifelong passion for food. Nigel's likes and dislikes, aversions and sweet-toothed weaknesses, form a fascinating backdrop to this exceptionally moving memoir of childhood, adolescence, and sexual awakening.

A bestseller (more than 300,000 copies sold) and award-winner in the UK, Toast is sure to delight both foodies and memoir readers on this side of the pond—especially those who made such enormous successes of Ruth Reichl's Tender at the Bone and Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential."

I hope you enjoy reading Toast.
Please feel free to share what you think & your memories linked to food.

Happy World Book Night!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 3rd, 2012

it's great to see this book continues travelling! HOORAY

lils74, sorry I didn't realize you were wondering why this book is shown as "Stuart" on BC! I tell you why... :) When I sent my application to WBN, I asked Toast for my 1st and Stuart by Alexander Masters for my 2nd choice to give away. After eagerly-awaited few months, I was told that I was successful and chosen to be a giver. But at the same time I was told to be a giver for Stuart(my 2nd choice). On the day I had to collect my books from a bookstore I picked earlier, the bookstore staff were very confused. I asked for box of Stuart but they didn't receive it from WBN. They suggested me to take box of Toast instead because it has my name on it... I was totally confused, too. But Toast was my 1st choice, anyway, so it was a lucky mistake?? /accident??

WBN 2011 was a new event. A lot of books and lots of people involved to make it happen. I heard similar stories-different books delivered at the end or no books delivered at all for the WBN day- from other givers, but hey, it was fun and will be better next time, I am sure of it! Well, I applied again for WBN 2012 :)

Journal Entry 4 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/24/2011 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Thanks for waiting, hope you will enjoy x

Journal Entry 5 by Kate_and_Rob at Hessle, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Received in today's post. Cheered me right up (I'm suffering after yestersday gym sesh!) and really looking to reading it over the bank holiday weekend :)

Thank you very much Salvami, You're a star <3

Journal Entry 6 by Kate_and_Rob at Hessle, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/9/2011 UTC) at Hessle, East Yorkshire United Kingdom

Posted to Germany today, hope you enjoy it x

Journal Entry 7 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Saturday, August 13, 2011

toast arrived today along with a lovely post-card and toffees. It made me very happy. Thank you so much Kate.

Journal Entry 8 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Sunday, September 25, 2011

I love autobiographies so I was happy to read Toast by Nigel Slater. This was such a good book but so sad at times.

Journal Entry 9 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Friday, October 07, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/7/2011 UTC) at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany

Sent today by post to lils74.

Journal Entry 10 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Friday, October 21, 2011

This arrived safely today, along with the Greece map and the beautiful hand-made sea-shell card--thank you Ronsar! I am really interested in reading this book, as I love memoirs that relate to food. Also, after hearing so much about World Book Night books, it's great to finally get to see one. Still not sure why it says it's Stuart when it's Toast, though :)!
Will let you know my thoughts on the book when I'm done with it. Thanks again for this lovely RABCK!

Journal Entry 11 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, February 02, 2012

This is a great book, I love love love the way he writes. I had to copy out the first chapter for my book journal (it's short):

Toast 1
My mother is scraping a piece of burned toast out of the kitchen window, a crease of annoyance across her forehead. This is not an occasional occurrence, a one-in-a-while hiccup in a busy mother's day. My mother burns the toast as surely as the sun rises each morning. In fact, I doubt if she has ever made a round of toast in her life that failed to fill the kitchen with plumes of throat-catching smoke. I am nine now and have never seen butter without black bits in it.
It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you. People's failing, even major ones such as when they make you wear short trousers to school, fall into insignificance as your teeth break through the rough, toasted crust and sink into the doughy cushion of white bread underneath. Once the warm, salty butter has hit your tongue, you are smitten. Putty in their hands.

Spoilers ahead:
I liked this book a lot, though I liked the first half-ish more than the second.
There is a sort of beauty even in the train-crash inevitability of what’s happening. First with his mom’s impending death, and then his dad’s moves toward remarriage. You want to look away, yet Nigel Slater writes so well you have to keep reading. Beautiful in a bittersweet way. Also love the way he includes bits of quintessentially British foods and food brands into everything. So, SO well written.

I have tagged a BCer with this book in the wishlist tag game, so I can get it on its way soon.

Journal Entry 12 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/31/2012 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

Oops--I forgot to make release notes when I mailed this out last week. It's for the wishlist Tag Game--I hope you enjoy it. I sure did!

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Toast's with me now, thank you!

Journal Entry 14 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, May 06, 2012

What an absolute delight! Funny and touching, this tale of growing up in the 1960s Britain was a book I would've read in one go, had life permitted such indulgence :) It's incredible how much you can tell about life by focusing on mainly food.

Journal Entry 15 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thank you so much for this book! It'll be the 2nd of the World Book Night 2011 books that I'll be reading!:)