corner corner The Santaroga Barrier

The Santaroga Barrier
by Frank Herbert | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by caligula03 of Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

status (set by Thalasse): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Dune may be a great book but this is my favorite Herbert book. I have a first edition that I don't dare part with. I was thrilled to see that it's back in print. I've bought a new copy just for Book Crossing. :D

Join this book ray!

Those joined so far
  • kymberlie (Texas)
  • HikingReader (Wisconsin) (can mail internationally)
  • JuniperHill (UK) (can mail internationally)
  • tho (Portugal - can mail in Europe)<-- arrived and being read.
  • Sossap (Portugal - can mail in Europe)
  • Dani75 (Germany) (can mail internationally)
  • SallyLoganMilne - New Zealand (can ship internationally)
  • Tuz - Brazil (can ship internationally)
  • snowmyst -- WV - USA only

Journal Entry 2 by caligula03 at bookcrosser in Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, September 13, 2003

Released on Saturday, September 13, 2003 at bookcrosser in Houston, Texas USA.

The Santaroga Barrier perpetual ray begins!

Journal Entry 3 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Received today - thanks, caligula03! Going to start reading it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 4 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Thursday, October 09, 2003

This book had a very strong Twilight Zone feel to it, but I ultimately felt that it never really delivered on its promise of being a scary, intriguing sci-fi novel. It's not that it was bad, but it just wasn't as good as I had hoped. I felt that it lacked a strong resolution of what the mysterious Jaspers was and how it came to be in the town.

Also, the book was first written in 1968 and I felt that it seemed a little dated to me. Nothing huge, but some of the issues of race and the like didn't quite feel right. If you're a sci-fi fan, this one may still be up your alley, but I don't strongly recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Monday, October 13, 2003

Mailed to HikingReader today. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by HikingReader from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Saturday, October 18, 2003

Got the book in the mail today from Texas (thanks kymberlie!) and my hubby and I will start reading it right away. He likes for me to read to him on long car trips and we have one coming up next week. I will let you know what I think (and anything the Frank Herbert junkie-my hubby has to add!) Thanks for giving me the chance to read this!

Journal Entry 7 by HikingReader from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Saturday, November 22, 2003

This is a book for the true Frank Herbert fan. It deals with the key concepts of how the environment affects human development and the effects of consciousness-expanding substances on humanity. These are some of the foundation concepts behind the very successful Dune series. Thanks for passing it on...

Journal Entry 8 by JuniperHill from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 03, 2004

My first Herbert, it won't be the last!

Will post to tho early next week.

Journal Entry 9 by tho on Thursday, February 05, 2004

Received today !!
I've read all of the Dune series, including the latest prequels (these written by his son Brian and Kevin Anderson ...), and now I'm very curious to read this earlier work by Frank Herbert...

Journal Entry 10 by tho on Sunday, February 08, 2004

Well, I ended up reading it yesterday because I had planned to deliver this to Sossap later on, but as it happens we didn't meet so I'll have to find another way to pass it on ...
I agree with HikingReader that this earlier Herbert work does contain a few concepts that he later explores in more detail in the Dune series, but I was also a little frustrated because the mistery of Jaspers and what it really was is never explained. Like kymberlie said, reading this was like watching a Twilight zone episode, a bit scary sometimes, and with an equally disturbing ending.
I'll try to mail this out to Sossap this week, if we are unable to meet soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Sossap on Thursday, March 04, 2004

It arrive, tnks Tho.I'll be fast, I hope. Si'all latter...

Journal Entry 12 by Sossap on Thursday, July 15, 2004

Very good book. To the next person in line he goes... have a nice reading.

Journal Entry 13 by wingDani75wing from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Received today by mail - I´m looking forward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 14 by Tuz from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais Brazil on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

It arrived today, thanks a lot!

February 11, 2005

I enjoyed reading this book a lot ; I liked the style.

I'll be sending it to snowmyst as soon as I get her address.

February 5, 2009

Snowmist hasn't replied so I've decided to send it as a RABCK to hippolein.

February 10, 2009

Have a good trip, little book!

Journal Entry 15 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

thank you very much tuz for sending this book all the way to Finland.
Big fan of Frank Herbert here, so am sure will enjoy this book!
Thanks also to caligula03 for sending this book off as a ray to start with!

Journal Entry 16 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, March 30, 2009

managed to finish this book already a bit ago, but forgot completely to make the journal entry

Like all books by Frank Herbert, I knew to expect a wonderful time with this book, and it did keep all its promises. Have to agree that this has the potential you would expect in the books of Dune, it goes very far in bringing the persons to life and gives a very good story and a nice end too.
Was a joy reading this book, and I'm hoping to find another fan for it next.

Journal Entry 17 by winghippoleinwing at At a meet-up, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/10/2009 UTC) at At a meet-up, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Kesätyhjennys
--------------------------
Kiitos avustasi, toivottavasti kirjat tuovat lukuiloa!

Journal Entry 18 by wingerpaxwing on Saturday, September 12, 2009

Many thanks to hippolein's family! This book sounds interesting.

Journal Entry 19 by wingerpaxwing on Sunday, November 01, 2009

This book is reserved for MiuM. Still have some pages to read but will send it forward soon.

Edit (November 2nd, 2009):
Although having read only a little by Frank Herbert, I already had quite strong vision of the contents of the Santaroga barrier in my mind. Luckily, part of this vision turned out to be very limited since I found this book better than I expected on the basis of that sequel of Dune I’ve read. On the other hand, it was a bit disappointing that the Santaroga valley in which everything was set, was located in sunny California on Earth, and not in some distant, mysterious, and cold planet. But after all, this ordinary setting worked quite brilliantly, and supported in a way all the frightening elements, such as enlarged consciousness and group mind. It was somehow bizarre that Jaspers, a kind of food additive, reminded me of all the superfood bars and powder I was offered during my trip to California just a month ago...

Thanks hippolein and everyone else in this chain as well.

Journal Entry 20 by wingerpaxwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 02, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/3/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Hope You'll enjoy this book, MiuM!

Journal Entry 21 by wingMiuMwing from Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Thank you!
This book sounds a bit mysterious and because of that interesting.
I haven't read Dune, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Picture: Cathedral of Turku, Finland

Journal Entry 22 by wingMiuMwing from Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, February 12, 2010

This was quite intriguing and sinister a book. Although the psychoanalysis and race issues were a product of their time. I was hoping for a better and more full explanation for the conditions in town. What was that Jaspers (quite an odd name)? I felt all the time I was reading that the Jaspers had its own will and that it was controlling people somehow, like it was somekind of collective alien being that used humans. I guess I was wrong, and it was just the collectiveness of human beings and the unconscious after all. Another thing that bothered me was the clear suggestion that drugs are great mindopening tools. And I wish there had been a better explanation of the "schools" that the children were put in. What was that about?

Still, this was a fascinating and different book. Good for someone who likes odd mysteries.

Journal Entry 23 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, February 26, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/27/2010 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland

I'm taking this book with me to BC-meeting in Turku, Finland.
If no one is interested, I'll take the book back home. I hope it finds a reader though.

Journal Entry 24 by wingMiuMwing from Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Saturday, February 27, 2010

No one wanted the book so it stays with me until I find an interested reader for it.
30.6.2010 I'll offer the book on "hep" thread of the Finnish forum.

Journal Entry 25 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, July 02, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (7/5/2010 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland

The book travels to Halonhakkaaja, either as soon as I get her address or as soon as I get someone to deliver the book.

Good reading!

Journal Entry 26 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo Finland on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The book came by mail today, thanks a lot MiuM!!! Looks really interesting :)

Journal Entry 27 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo Finland on Sunday, September 19, 2010

My husband read first this book and now I have also read it. It was an interesting story. It's so long time, I've read the Dune-series, that I don't remember much else than I really liked them. This book was more realistic, but that didn't bother me. After finishing this book I started a new book, but I had for a long time odd feeling that I'm still reading this book.

Journal Entry 28 by halonhakkaaja at Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo Finland on Saturday, July 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/2/2011 UTC) at Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo Finland

Finnish bookcrossers had summer happening this year in Pieksämäki. I took this book with me there and somebody took the book.

Journal Entry 29 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, July 03, 2011

I took the book at the big summer meeting at Pieksämäki. I've read Dune, and I was intrigued.

Journal Entry 30 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, July 21, 2011

It was a very weird book, and I have to say I found it boring because I sort of guessed right away what the story was about and the plot progressed so slowly. Written in late 60's, this was a very "hippie" novel exploring the inner space of the human consciousness (that kind of stuff was "in" back then). Like MiuM, I was bothered by the pro-drug message. Not exactly my cup of tea!

Anyway, the story reminded me of the novel "Rising the Stones" by Sheri S. Tepper - in it there's this mysterious alien fungus that affects human consciousness and helps humanity rise from barbarism.

Journal Entry 31 by Thalasse at Puolalanpuisto / Puolala Park in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/24/2011 UTC) at Puolalanpuisto / Puolala Park in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland

The book was released in he Puolalanpuisto park. Happy reading!