corner corner Villains by Necessity

Villains by Necessity
by Eve Forward | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by phantomreader42 of Warner Robins, Georgia USA on 8/20/2003

status (set by N8an): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2003

The War against Evil has been won.
After many years and many grueling battles, the forces of Light have triumphed over those of Darkness.
The forces of Darkness have been driven back through the Dark Gate, which was sealed behind them.
Goodness and Light reign supreme.
All is peaceful.
All is pure.
All is beautiful.
All is...

BORING!

And now the world of Chiaroscuro (if you've studied art you'll know what that means) is in peril, though its rulers won't admit it. For the struggle between Light and Darkness is what makes life possible so long as neither side wins completely. If the Darkness gets too strong, everything will die, rotting in its own filth. If the Light is too strong, "the world would be sublimated in a dazzling brilliance." Sometimes the world gets too corrupt, and needs to be purified. Now, it's too pure, and needs to be corrupted.
So a Small but Brave Band of Adventurers (no, that's not it).
A Fellowship of Heroes (still not quite right).
A motley crew of villains an ne'er-do-wells (okay, that'll work) must go on a quest to recover the Spectrum Key, reopen the DarkGate, and restore balance to the world.

An often hilarious and thought-provoking fantasy that carries the underlying premise that Evil is as necessary as good, and that free will is meaningless without the freedom to do the wrong thing occasionally.

Books by Eve Forward:
Animist
Villains By Necessity

Journal Entry 2 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Thursday, August 21, 2003

I'm starting a bookray for this book, and another for Dragon's Egg by Eve's father, Dr. Robert L. Forward. The following people have asked to sign up:

Mailing order subject to change.
Maurean (would rather not ship internationally)
caligula03 (would rather not ship internationally)
GoryDetails
Eskielover (willing to ship internationally)
ciaracat (willing to ship internationally)
N8an (in Canada, willing to ship internationally)
starbytes (in Malaysia, willing to ship internationally, but would prefer to limit to Asia/Australia)
Fire-Dragon (in Australia, willing to ship internationally)
BookFrog (in Australia)
(still time for more people to sign up)

Journal Entry 3 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Mailed to Maurean to start off the bookray. The package can be tracked here, using Delivery Confirmation Number 03030830000082640795.

Journal Entry 4 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Thursday, August 28, 2003

If you like this book, Mandali is doing a bookray for Eve Forward's second book, Animist.

Journal Entry 5 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Friday, August 29, 2003

Got this in the mail today. Will read and journal as soon as I've finished!

Journal Entry 6 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Thursday, September 11, 2003

This was an interesting twist on the good vs. evil theme. Rooting for an assassin, a thief, a Druid, a sorceress and a "Black" knight to overcome the powers of Good and Light, and put things "right"....who'da thunk it?? With dragons, wizards, elves and unicorns to keep things entertaining, this was a fun-filled "adventure" into the world of the "Six Lands"...

Thanks for sharing it, phantomreader! I will mail this off to Caligula03 on Friday, 9/12.

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, September 23, 2003

This book arrived today. I will get to it as soon as I can. You can track my progress on my profile. :)

Journal Entry 8 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The book did not captivate me as much as Animist did (Eve Forward's second book). It felt rather derivative of other fantasy/adventure books. Animist works well because of all the biology mixing with the sorcery but this book doesn't have that. It really doesn't have anything beyond the premise of what if evil is necessary and that alone isn't enough to keep the plot going through 500+ pages.

Journal Entry 9 by caligula03 at Another BookCrossing Member in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Release planned for Thursday, November 06, 2003 at Another BookCrossing Member in Nashua, New Hampshire USA.

Will mail to GoryDetails tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 15, 2003

The book arrived safely in today's mail; will start reading it this weekend!

Journal Entry 11 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Entertaining read - not quite as much fun as it could have been, but I enjoyed it. The whole good/evil question is considerably more profound than one might guess from the way it's handled here, but then this isn't meant to be a deep philosophical work; still, I thought it could have done more with the premise. I noted that the "bad guys" have their limits; there are a few crimes too horrible even for them - including one or two things that the "good guys" have been doing - which makes me think the author's pulling some punches, and turning the "forces of Darkness" into your basic rogues-with-hearts-of-slightly-tarnished-gold...

Anyway - the story's a straightforward quest/adventure, with references and homages to everything from Pratchett to Knights of the Dinner Table (that's a reference for the D&D gamer-geeks {grin}). I liked it best when it was dealing out snarky humor: "Mizzamir caught Sam looking at him and gave him that high-huff yet kindly and infinitely patronizing look that Elves were so good at..." Or the mage's duel where the equally-powerful mages find themselves with nothing left but a couple of harmless spells - er, well, I'll leave the details to the readers, but it was very cute, and a perfect D&D moment. ;-)

I was less pleased with the - to me, excessive - foreshadowing; a hint or two can be lots of fun, but in this case they seemed heavy-handed and I guessed some of the big revelations very early on. Still... the characters were likeable; I've always had a soft spot for a dashing assassin, the timid centaur Robin was quite appealling (although he didn't get as much story time as I'd have liked), and the interactions between the motley crew were entertaining. The story also put more emphasis on the difficulties of true balance/neutrality as a Druidic attribute; it's not as easy as it looks...

Thanks for sharing this, phantomreader! I'll be putting it in the mail to Eskielover today.

Journal Entry 12 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Arrived in the mail today with one other bookring and 2 other books for an M-Bag for a bookcrosser in Malaysia. My cup runneth over! Thanks for sending it.

Journal Entry 13 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Monday, December 15, 2003

I got about 100 pages into this book and had to give it up. It's just not my type of book and I have to many others to read to continue to try and read a book I'm not enjoying. As soon as I get a mailing address, I'll send it on.

Journal Entry 14 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I sent this book on to ciracat today.

Journal Entry 15 by ciaracat from Sugar Land, Texas USA on Thursday, March 11, 2004

Received awhile back; sorry for taking so long to make a journal entry! To be read! :)

What a BEAUTIFUL bookmark! Did you make it yourself?

Journal Entry 16 by ciaracat from Sugar Land, Texas USA on Monday, March 15, 2004

Well.. I read the back, I read the first page, and I'm thinking this isn't for me to read right now. I'm really in need of .. oh .. the opposite of celebrating the balance evil brings. :) Maybe I'll catch it the next time someone sends it around! Thanks! :) (Will be mailing soon, hopefully tomorrow!)

Journal Entry 17 by ciaracat at Bookring/ray in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Released on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at Bookring/ray in USPS, postal release USA.

Finally sending this on.. Sorry for the delay! :)

Journal Entry 18 by N8an from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 31, 2004

I had completely forgotten about this! It will leap to the front of the 'to-be-read' line, and thereby after I shall mail it on its way. Thank you ever so for not forgetting me. ;)

Sidenote: the bookmark is beautiful!