corner corner Banned Books

Banned Books
by Anne Lyon Haight | Journals
Registered by wingmojosmomwing of Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

status (set by mojosmom): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingmojosmomwing from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Subtitled: Informal Notes on Some Books Banned for Various Reasons at Various Times and in Various Places.

Originally published in 1935, this is the 2nd edition, "Revised and Enlarged", published in 1955. It is basically a listing of books that have been banned, with the dates, locations and reasons for the bans. With appendices on "Trends in Censorship", "Statements on Freedom of the Press" and "Excerpts from Important Court Decisions".

Someone has tucked in a newspaper clipping headed "ACLU Charges Censorship by Catholic Decency Group", dated 5/6/57, as well as an article titled "The Banned Paintings of D.H. Lawrence". Unfortunately, there is no indication where the article is from.

This is a somewhat battered paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmojosmomwing from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003

In honor of Banned Books Week, I have set up a Book Ring for this book. The order is as follows:

jmg49 (Ontario)
Janaqq (Texas)
dreissM (Texas)
mssaver (Illinois)
mojosmom (Illinois)

Journal Entry 3 by wingmojosmomwing from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003

The bookring has begun! Banned Books is on its way to jmg49.

Journal Entry 4 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 11, 2003

Thanks mojosmom. I'll read it and pass it on.

Journal Entry 5 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 12, 2003

I just finished this book this morning. It is very interesting to note that in almost every instance of cencorship the underlying fears of those doing the cencoring are those of either losing authority or maintaining the status quo. The narrow-mindedness of some bureaucrats and politicians is appalling.
I found the book informative.
When I get a chance to go to the post office, either today or tomorrow, I will send the book on to "fruitbat" in Oregon.
Thanks "mojosmom" for giving me an oportunity at this book.

Journal Entry 6 by fruitbat from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Monday, September 22, 2003

received today from jmg49! Will read & send out to andycap14 by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 7 by fruitbat from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003

What a great book -- not just in content but also in form... the smell & feel of old books is something special. Thanks so much for sharing it with us, mojosmom! I was amazed at the variety of surpressed books over the years. Sent this morning to Andycap14.

Journal Entry 8 by fruitbat at on Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Released on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at bookring in postal release, postal release USA.

to andycap14

Journal Entry 9 by Bibliotender from Fontana, California USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Recieved yesterday. I love the look and feel of this book.

Journal Entry 10 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Saturday, October 04, 2003

Alrighty! This book just arrived today and I'm in BookRing Hell. I will read it as quickly as I can and pass it along. I currently have 5 books ahead of this one, but I think I can do this. Thanks for sharing Mojo.

Journal Entry 11 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Okay, I finally mailed this book to Malaysia today. Sorry for the delay. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 12 by starbytes from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Just received the book! Thanks, palmerspal! Will read and journal soon!

Journal Entry 13 by starbytes at on Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Release planned for Wednesday, February 04, 2004 at To a fellow bookcrosser in Espinho, Portugal Controlled Releases.

I've decided to mail this book along to witchie as I have too many bookrings to read as the moment and won't be able to find time to read this anytime soon. Hope she enjoys it!

Journal Entry 14 by Witchie from Espinho, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I got this on the mail last week! Thanks starbytes, for sending it! And thanks for the lovely postcard, I loved it!
I'll read it as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 15 by Witchie from Espinho, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I found this to be a very interesting book! I was always curious about banned books and the reasons they had been banned! With this book I learned a lot and add several books to my wish list! They were banned, I want to read them to find out why!

The book is now back on the road, on its way to meet fingerart, in the UK!

Journal Entry 16 by fingerart from Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 19, 2004

I received this book a while ago but forgot to register it. Sorry. It was an interesting book. Many of the titles and authors I hadn't heard of but it's made me want to read them now. Passing it onto Kernow8.

Journal Entry 17 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 04, 2004

Banned Books has made the 10-mile or so journey down the road from Romsey to my village. I have to agree with the previous journallers who have commented on the smell, feel and appearance of the book - for a 50 year old paperback it's in fantastic condition. The pages are a wonderful colour! And I'd love to know what created those little holes.

I'll be reading this alongside whatever novel I happen to be reading at the time - it should be on the road again within the next month.

Journal Entry 18 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 22, 2004

Finished reading last night, and made a list of 20 or so must-read controversial classics. I read a lot of Hemingway, Steinbeck & DH Lawrence when I was a teenager as that was what was on my parents' bookshelves, but I am sadly ignorant of a lot of the content of works featured in "Banned Books", so I found it hard to work out why the books had been banned, burned or otherwise removed from circulation. I would have appreciated a quick summary of the features of the books that had them labelled obscene or politically dangerous. But I suppose if the author had done that she would have risked having her own book banned!

The trends in censorship were very interesting - I'd love to read about how these have changed in the 50 years since that edition.

Finally, I loved the tautology of the postal service policy notes. I've already sent the book on so I can't quote exactly, but the string of adjectives that read something like "obscene, lewd, lascivious or filthy" looked as though it had been lifted straight out of a thesaurus.

Thanks mojosmom - sorry I held onto it so long. It's now on its way to janaqq.

Journal Entry 19 by janaqq from Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, December 04, 2004

This sure is a nifty book, thanks for sharing it. I will read it and then pass it along. It sure is in good shape for how old it is.

Journal Entry 20 by janaqq from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Thanks for sharing this neat little book. It sure has seen many days. It just amazes me that books can be banned.

Journal Entry 21 by DreissM from Houston, Texas USA on Thursday, January 27, 2005

This book looks fascinating and scary at the same time. Already browsed through it a bit [very very carefully as I can't believe the date of the book] and will definitely start my own list of banned books to be read. Really glad I joined this bookring. Thanks to mojosmom for starting the bookring.

Journal Entry 22 by DreissM at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (2/22/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

Finally getting this off to you - sorry for the delay. This was a hard one to put down. Hope you enjoy it!!

Journal Entry 23 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, February 28, 2005

Hot...uh...diggety! (Wouldn't want this journal entry to be banned.) Looks like an interesting book, but I'm a little scared of it. Several previous journalers have commented on what good shape it's in. I've just started on it, but it seems that the first few times I open it, no matter how careful I was, a page came loose. Maybe I'm getting the hang of it, though, and I promise to be as careful with it as I can.
P.S. Thanks for the pictures, DreissM, and of course for sending it on!

Journal Entry 24 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Interesting book. I guess I'll have to add several more books to my TBR list. (And this doesn't even include any banned books from the past 50 years!) The book will soon be coming home to momma--mojosmom, that is.

Journal Entry 25 by wingmojosmomwing from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig! Yay! My book is back, safe and sound (which, considering its delicate condition when I sent it off, is pretty amazing). Mssaver brought it to the Meet-Up tonight to put it directly into its mom's hands. Thanks to everyone who participated in this book ring for taking good care of it. I hope someday to visit the places my book has been!