corner corner Fear Nothing (Bookray)

Fear Nothing (Bookray)
by Dean R. Koontz | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by kymberlie of Spring, Texas USA on 8/19/2003

status (set by rem_PRM-849164): available

Journal Entry 1 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Great new series from Dean R. Koontz about Christopher Snow, a young man with a genetic disorder that makes light extremely hazardous to his health. Chris is forced to basically live his life in darkness. One night he witness a disturbing event that leads to discoveries he never could have expected.

It's been a while since I've read this book and its sequel, Seize the Night, but I remember being immediately drawn into Chris's world and loving both the story and the characters. I'm going to offer this as an international bookray, so feel free to PM me to join.

Journal Entry 2 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookring is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. A bookring book is never released into the wild since it should end up back with the person who registered it. A bookray works exactly like a bookring except the book is never returned to the original owner. Much like a paper ray of sunshine, the book travels forever.

To join this bookray (or any other bookring/ray of mine) please private message me and include your location and shipping preference (US only, international, etc.). I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case it's changed since you got the book.

Once you are a bookray member, you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please), and journal again with your thoughts, ideas, or opinions on it. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!) and make a release note so that we can track it. Then sit back and watch the journey continue!

The members are as follows (this is not final mailing order yet):

• roadrunner (Spring, Texas - US only)
  • phantomreader42 (Auburn, Alabama - international if needed)
  • WarEagle78 (Hoover, Alabama - international)
  • tsmith51632 (Clarinda, Iowa - US only) SKIPPED
  • wyldanthem (Alexandria, Virginia - US only)
  • arugh48187 (Apple Valley, Minnesota - US only)
  • gretamelina37 (Washington Court House, Ohio - US only; at least fourth or fifth on list) SKIPPED
  • Valkyrie119 (California - US only)
  • andersor (San Luis Obispo, California - international)
  • Jaremeister (Albuquerque, New Mexico - international)
  • orangekiss (Thunder Bay, Ontario - international; at least third on list)
  • Theresa-A (Nottingham, England - international)
  • ferengie (Lich, Germany - international)
  • menita (Amsterdam, The Netherlands - international)

Key
- Members who have finished the book and sent it on will be in red
- The member with the book will be in bold green

Journal Entry 3 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Monday, October 27, 2003

Mailed today to roadrunner. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by roadrunner from Spring, Texas USA on Thursday, October 30, 2003

I returned from a short vacation to find a pile of books waiting for me! Woo hoo! I'm in the middle of this month's book club read but I will get to this asap. Thanks kymberlie for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by roadrunner from Spring, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2003

This book is typical Koontz. It was good but just felt a bit formulaic. I recently read The Face by Koontz and was so blown away that any other Koontz will probably suffer by comparison. I picked up Seize the Night at a library booksale and will get around to it eventually. This book is off to Phantomreader42 - enjoy! Thanks Kymberlie for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Monday, November 17, 2003

I got this in the mail today. It's my birthday, so this feels like another present! Thanks. I'll start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 7 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2003

A great book. Suspenseful, frightening at the right times, and often funny.
The story of Christopher Snow, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder called xeroderma pigmentosum (XP for short, which strikes me as strangely funny, as I'm writing this on a laptop running Windows XP), which makes him dangerously vulnerable to light. He believes in miracles, because for him, even surviving 28 years is a miracle. He lives in the darkness, and knows the night world well. Some would think he has a hard life, but he enjoys his life as much as possible. He has a dog named Orson, a girlfriend named Sasha, and his best friend and surfing buddy Bobby.
Now Chris is venturing out in the day, for the first time in nine years, to visit his father in the hospital one last time. Steven Snow was a great man. He was humble, kind, gentle, full of laughter, faithful to his wife, and proud of his son. His love brightened their necessarily dim home. Now he is dying of cancer. HIs last words are Fear Nothing.
But Chris has plenty to fear. His father's body has been stolen for reasons he doesn't understand. The people around him are not what they seem. Even Orson is acting strangely. Something terrible is happening at Fort Wyvern, the supposedly abandoned military base. Chris hopes he can do something about it. Who better to battle the forces of darkness than one acquainted with the night?
Chris tends to anthropomorphize animals, perhaps because they have always accepted him for what he is. I really like one monologue he imagines coming from Orson:

Human suffering. Terrible. Terrible thing. Misery, death, despair. But nothing to be done, Nothing to be done about it. Just the way of the world, the nature of human existence. Terrible. Come smell the squirrels with me, Master Snow. You'll feel better.

Books by Dean Koontz:
One Door Away From Heaven (2 nd copy) (3rd copy)
Watchers (2nd copy) (3rd copy) (4th copy)
Strangers
Midnight

Authors Recommended by Dean Koontz:
Robert A. Heinlein
John D. MacDonald

Journal Entry 8 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Received in mail today from phantomreader42 in Auburn. Appreciate the postcard! Thanks to kymberlie for making this book available. I'll journal again when done.

Note: this in-state media rate had overnight delivery.

Journal Entry 9 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Friday, November 28, 2003

I have not read a great deal of Dean Koontz and am not sure this book will have me pawing through the used-book counter looking for more. Chris Snow and his friends are interesting people (or whatever) and they are very sympathetic. Koontz' descriptions of Chris' world as he copes with XP were haunting and memorable. And I was so impressed with Chris' spirit.

Yet despite Snowman's well-crafted character, I was not completely gripped by this book. I can't pinpoint why it did not work that well for me. Oh well.

The book will be in the mail as soon as I hear back from tsmith51632.

Happy Holidays!

Journal Entry 10 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, December 06, 2003

In mail to wyldanthem in Virginia - 12/6/03

Journal Entry 11 by wyldanthem from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Well, I guess tsmith51632 asked to be bumped down the list. That actually works perfectly for me, as I just finished another bookray book and was wondering what I should read next! I've been a Dean Koontz fan since way back (before he lost the "R" and "Hideaway" was ruined by Alicia Silverstone), so I hope his latest lives up to his previous works!

Journal Entry 12 by wyldanthem from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Wow. The first Dean (R.) Koontz book I read was The Bad Place, and the title said it all. I finished the book in one sitting at my local library, returned the book to the shelf, and immediately checked out Hideaway, Mr. Murder, and The Key to Midnight. By the end of the month, I’d gone through every Koontz book the place had. College put a damper on my recreational reading, and so I haven’t read any of his newer stories in a while –- I think the last one I read was Icebound -- and now I realize that I have a lot of catching up to do!

This story reminds me of Stephen King’s “The Mist,” a short story that appeared in Skeleton Crew. I have often wished King would expand it into a full-length novel, as it was an extremely interesting and terrifying tale, but Fear Nothing gives me a similar story through the narrative of Christopher Snow.

Snow wasn’t a character I feel in love with immediately, but his sense of humor won me over after a few chapters. I could’ve done without his surfer-dude alter ego (that only comes out when he hangs in the presence of the righteously gnarly Bobby Halloway, another character who had to grow on me), but that’s a minor point. I enjoyed the mystery and action of Snow’s story, picking up pieces of the puzzle as Snow and Orson travel through Midnight Bay, and I look forward to revisiting these characters in Seize the Night, which I will hopefully be able to pick up tonight before Barnes and Nobles closes.

Journal Entry 13 by wyldanthem from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, December 26, 2003

Mailed today to arugh48187. Sorry for the delay -- it's been a hectic holiday season! Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 14 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Received this one in my mailbox today. I have only read one other book by Koontz, but really liked it. I am looking forward to delving into this one.

Journal Entry 15 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, March 17, 2004

It took me a little bit to get into this book, but once I did, it was as good as any other Dean Koontz novel. I had heard that Watchers was his best book, but I thought this one compared well with it. I particularly liked the fact that the entire story took place in about 36 hours. Pretty hard to keep suspense that long, but Dean has managed it.

*Note: This book traveled to India with me as I intended to read it there. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and so it was brought back to the US and read.

Journal Entry 16 by arugh48187 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota USA on Monday, March 29, 2004

Released on Monday, March 29, 2004 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, MN, postal release USA.

Couldn't get gretamelina37 to respond with an address, so this one is going to Valkyrie119.

Journal Entry 17 by Valkyrie119 from Oceanside, California USA on Thursday, April 22, 2004

Thanks!
Im getting started on it right away

Journal Entry 18 by Valkyrie119 from Oceanside, California USA on Saturday, April 24, 2004

This is one of the better Dean Koontz's book I've read in a while, the story was interesting and well paced.

Waiting for the next person's address.

Journal Entry 19 by Valkyrie119 from Oceanside, California USA on Monday, April 26, 2004

Mailed to Andersor today.

Journal Entry 20 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Monday, May 10, 2004

Just received. Will finish and get out to next person asap. Thanks for sharing!!

Journal Entry 21 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Saturday, May 22, 2004

Not what I expected, but an intriguing book. Will send off to Jaremeister on Monday.

Journal Entry 22 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Thursday, May 27, 2004

This came in the mail today. Now to be honest, I have over a dozen of Koontz's books in one of my TBR book-cases but have never read a single one. This is going to be my first experience, looking forward to it. Reading one book now and this will be next in line!

Journal Entry 23 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this book. I have been struggling with it for too long now, 200 pages in and I still can't get into the story. I think it's the main character and the voice it's written in, I just can't get into this guy. It's quite rare that I don't finish a book, but this will be one of those situations. PM'ing the next in line now, hope everyone else enjoys this more than I have.

Journal Entry 24 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Thursday, September 09, 2004

Both orangekiss and Therese-A have asked to be skipped, so I will be sending this to ferengie tomorrow! Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by ferengie from Dülmen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 18, 2004

Fear Nothing arrived yesterday at the place I'm vacationing at right as I finished another one, so I started on it already and so far I really like it... more when I'm thru

Journal Entry 26 by ferengie from Dülmen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, November 09, 2004

This was my second Christopher Snow book and where the first one couldn't capture my mind, this one absolutely did...I started it right away when it arrived, but then got interrupted and had to start again when I was at home again....wow, typically Dean Koontz!!

Journal Entry 27 by rem_PRM-849164 on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Found this one in my mailbox after I returned from a holiday: together with one new-born card the only nice mail I received! I'll start with this one after I finish my current read, thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 28 by rem_PRM-849164 on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I couldn't get a grip on it either.
It was not until the mystery gained it's presence
that the story and Chris both had my full attention.
Nice story, really creepy!
I'm now searching BX for 'seize the night', the sequel.