corner corner Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -- Case Closed (Bookring)

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -- Case Closed (Bookring)
by Patricia Cornwell | Nonfiction
Registered by kymberlie of Spring, Texas USA on 8/18/2003

status (set by jasontromm): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Monday, August 18, 2003

I started out this book really excited about what I was going to read. For about the first half of the book, I still felt that excitement, but it steadily began to wane. By the end of the book, I was just ready for it to end.

Cornwell presented some strong evidence against Walter Sickert, the man she claims was Jack the Ripper. She shows remarkable similarities in phrases that both men used, in handwriting and drawing styles, and in paper and envelopes used in the infamous Ripper letters to the police. Most importantly, she shows a link in mitochondrial DNA between an envelope mailed by the Ripper and two used by Sickert.

In reality, the book really does boil down to mostly circumstantial evidence since these crimes occured over 120 years ago and all “real” evidence has long been destroyed. I think if the book would have been shorter and more tightly written I wouldn’t have thought over and over again, “When is this damn thing going to end?”

I am releasing this as a bookring, so please PM me if you're interested in joining. Also, include your location and shipping preference (US only, international, etc.).

Journal Entry 2 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Monday, August 18, 2003

What’s a bookring and how does it work?

A bookring is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. A bookring book is never released into the wild since it should end up back with the person who registered it.

To join this bookring (or any other bookring of mine) please private message me and include your location and shipping preference (US only, international, etc.). I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case it's changed since you got the book.

Once you are a bookring member, you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please), and journal again with your thoughts, ideas, or opinions on it. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!) and make a release note so that we can track it. Then sit back and watch the journey continue!

The members are as follows (mailing order will change as new participants are added):

• fly46 (Kingsville, Ohio - US only)
  • jasontromm (Greenville, South Carolina - US only)
  • kellyhp (San Antonio, Texas - US preferred, international if needed)
  • needmorezoloft (Paris, Texas - US only)
  • WarEagle78 (Hoover, Alabama - international)
  • jkate (Pleasant Hill, California - US only)
  • Andycap14 (Glendora, California - US only)
  • 16stepper (Gilbert, Arizona - international)
  • fanclub (Ignoreland, Hawaii - international)
  • TigerLily4 (Lincoln, Nebraska - international)
  • dawnmomoffour (Owen Sound, Canada - US only)
  • mmz18407 (Towson, Maryland - US only)
  • moonglow18 (Rainsville, Alabama - US only)
  • mysteryfan03 (Moberly, Missouri - international)
  • Semioticghost (London, England - Europe only)
  • perfect-circle (Newcastle upon Tyne, England - Europe only)
  • BreakEveryRule (Manchester, England - international)
  • Theresa-A (Nottingham, England - international)
  • LG27 (Trimdon, England - international)
  • SBG2201 (Watford, England - international)
  • rahar109 (Farnborough Hants, Englad - international)
  • YowlYY (London, England - international; near bottom)
  • lady-g (Lyon, France - Europe only)
  • Guillaume (Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Europe only)
  • Witchie (Espinho, Portugal - international)
  • kalahari (Lisboa, Portugal - international)
  • MSO (Loures, Portugal - international)
  • starbytes (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - international, Asia/Australia if possible)
  • felicia-fairy (Mackay, Australia - Australia only)
  • Gilli (Perth, Australia - international)
  • spark (San Francisco, California - international, no Australia or NZ; near bottom)

Key
- Members who have finished the book and sent it on will be in red
- The member with the book will be in bold green

Journal Entry 3 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Monday, August 25, 2003

Mailed today to fly46 via media mail. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by fly46 from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003

Yes, Kymberlie, I got the book! lol.

I must be on a jack the ripper thing, because I just got Donald Rumbelow's Complete Casebook... Same trip to the PO as this book... Can't wait to get into this one.

Okay, I read part of the book and couldn't bring myself to finish it because, well, it was bad. I understand what the writer was thinking when she did the book, but... I guess to me in order to justify why this guy was the killer, I need to hear why the other people weren't and I read 1/4-1/3 of it and she never said that.. Maybe she did later but I never heard it.

Sending it in a box to nyisutter, who graciously offered to send all the rings I was keeping safe to their next readers...

Journal Entry 5 by nyisutter from St. Charles, Missouri USA on Thursday, June 10, 2004

Received in a box of books I am helping Fly46 move on. Will contact next member and get this back on the road.

Journal Entry 6 by jasontromm from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 25, 2004

Just started reading. This book will be sent along to the next person in the bookring when I'm finished.