corner corner Max Perkins: Editor of Genius

Max Perkins: Editor of Genius
by A. Scott Berg | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by jwordsmith of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania USA on 8/14/2003

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by jwordsmith from Phoenixville, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 14, 2003

A National Book Award winner and best-seller, this book tells the story of legendary editor Max Perkins, who brought us the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Tom Wolfe, and more.

This book is cited by people in the publishing industry as how life *ought* to be. They give it to people as a gift, they wish their lives were like this.

Personally I find the style a little annoying. This is hagiography rather than biography (he is making Perkins into some kind of saint). Berg writes about private encounters as if he were there and is fulsome in his praise. It is clear that Berg admires Perkins enormously. I prefer a style that is a little more detached. But that's just me.

It is certainly an interesting history of an interesting period in publishing...if you can get past the congratulatory style and the self-importance of all the 'characters' depicted.

I couldn't and won't be buying Berg's new biography of Katherine Hepburn (I'd recommend her own, quirky autobiography, ME)

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, January 08, 2009