corner corner Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingvalpetewing of Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, February 18, 2011

status (set by rockyhorror1978): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, February 18, 2011

This was my favorite book of 2010! This was not a tale of medicine, though there was plenty of that. It was also not a tale of Ethiopia, although I learned a good deal about the history of this country. It was a complex story of relationships, choices, life events and their intertwining. I'm not one to cry while reading a book; however, this evoked much emotion along the way. A wonderful read! I highly recommend it!

Journal Entry 2 by jsara at Stratham, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

just received in the mail today. will start reading in a few days.
thanks!!

link to bookring forum post:

1. JSara
17 Penelopewanders
18 Bjorg
19 Kingfan30
20 Raluk68
21 Okyrhoe - REMOVED FROM LIST (received another copy already)
22 FeistyPom2Love

Journal Entry 3 by jsara at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/23/2011 UTC) at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sent to next on the list!

Journal Entry 4 by spuddossis at Garfield, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 31, 2011

Received this today...I'm in the middle of another Bookring book....will start this one next...looking forward to this read!! Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 5 by spuddossis at Garfield, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I totally agree with valpete's evaluation of this wonderful book! What a wonderful read! Thank you for including me in this bookring!! Will be contacting the next on the list..Cherryj for her address and will be sending it along as soon as I receive it. Cherryj...you are in for a treat!

Journal Entry 6 by wingcherryjwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book received! Can't wait to bite into this treat! ;)

Journal Entry 7 by wingcherryjwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, June 13, 2011

A very emotional read. I tend to tear up when I read books like this, so I had to take a few breathers! I loved that it was a story about choice and consequence; not only one's own choices but those of others. Some of the medical descriptions made my eyes glaze over, but all in all I'd recommend this book as well. Thanks for the wonderful read! I'm mailing the book out to the next reader tomorrow!

Edited June 15: Canada Post is on strike so no postal outlets are open. I will research different options but I'm concerned about the cost. The book is all packed and ready to go, so I hope the strike doesn't last too long. Apologies for the delay!

Journal Entry 8 by wingcherryjwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/29/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

The postal strike has ended so the book is now on its way to the next reader!

Journal Entry 9 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 10, 2011

Arrived yesterday! Thanks for passing it forward and the postcard!

Journal Entry 10 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Just finished this book. It was not what I expected and a bit dry in some places, like the long descriptions of the surgeries.
I like how Verghese intertwined the characters lives until the end. It tied the book together nicely. I also enjoyed the political backdrop of Ethiopia. I found this compelling and interesting since I know so little about the history of Ethiopia.

I have MmeClinton's address and will be posting it to her ASAP!
Thanks valpete for sharing this book!