corner corner Talking to the Dead

Talking to the Dead
by Helen Dunmore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

status (set by tree-hugger): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Bridge cafe/drop-in centre in Gracious Street Methodist Church, Knaresborough, has a bookcase full of used books on sale for £1 each in aid of their ongoing building project. This is one of two novels I bought this morning while enjoying a hot chocolate and scone with a friend :-) I've been impressed with Helen Dunmores I've read previously so look forward to reading this - but with a very 'healthy' collection of books waiting to be read, I can't guess when this might find its way to the top of the piles ....

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 06, 2012

That was beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Beautiful story. Beautiful writing. Beautiful from the first page to the last. Just beautiful!
It's narrated by Nina who's staying with her sister Isabel who's unwell following the birth of her son Anthony. Central throughout the novel is their baby brother Colin a 3-month old cot death when Isabel was 7 and Nina was 4.
Also explored are the close relationships between Nina and her brother-in-law Richard and between Isabel and her gay friend Edward, all overseen by Susan the local girl who's helping with Anthony and her mother Margery.
Beautiful! I loved it! Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/9/2012 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To tree-hugger who first introduced me to the works of Helen Dunmore, thank you very much, and hasn't read this one yet

Journal Entry 4 by wingtree-huggerwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2012

Sounds great, thanks Nu-Knees.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtree-huggerwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 27, 2014

I'm afraid I wasn't particularly taken with this. It fell a bit flat for me. I didn't like any of the characters & didn't care much what happened to them. The finale was gripping, but it felt like a long time coming. I have loved some of Helen Dunmore's other books & disliked others. She is ever so prolific - I think the score for me is approx 5 hits 3 misses so far.