corner corner Talking to the Dead

Talking to the Dead
by Helen Dunmore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

status (set by ardachy): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Bridge cafe/drop-in centre in Gracious Street Methodist Church, Knaresborough, has a bookcase full of used books on sale for £1 each in aid of their ongoing building project. This is one of two novels I bought this morning while enjoying a hot chocolate and scone with a friend :-) I've been impressed with Helen Dunmores I've read previously so look forward to reading this - but with a very 'healthy' collection of books waiting to be read, I can't guess when this might find its way to the top of the piles ....

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 06, 2012

That was beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Beautiful story. Beautiful writing. Beautiful from the first page to the last. Just beautiful!
It's narrated by Nina who's staying with her sister Isabel who's unwell following the birth of her son Anthony. Central throughout the novel is their baby brother Colin a 3-month old cot death when Isabel was 7 and Nina was 4.
Also explored are the close relationships between Nina and her brother-in-law Richard and between Isabel and her gay friend Edward, all overseen by Susan the local girl who's helping with Anthony and her mother Margery.
Beautiful! I loved it! Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/9/2012 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To tree-hugger who first introduced me to the works of Helen Dunmore, thank you very much, and hasn't read this one yet

Journal Entry 4 by wingtree-huggerwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2012

Sounds great, thanks Nu-Knees.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtree-huggerwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 27, 2014

I'm afraid I wasn't particularly taken with this. It fell a bit flat for me. I didn't like any of the characters & didn't care much what happened to them. The finale was gripping, but it felt like a long time coming. I have loved some of Helen Dunmore's other books & disliked others. She is ever so prolific - I think the score for me is approx 5 hits 3 misses so far.

Journal Entry 6 by wingtree-huggerwing at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 21, 2014

Released 7 mos ago (4/21/2014 UTC) at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I'll be taking this book to the York bookcrossers meetup in The Graduate on Easter Monday.

If you've picked this book up and you're new to bookcrossing, welcome! Thanks for visiting the website. I'd love to hear your comments on this book, if you want to add them to this page. You can remain anonymous, but if you choose to register you'll get emails so you can track the progress of this book whenever it moves on from one reader to another.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSavAgedwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Picked up at the Ape-ril Meetup

Journal Entry 8 by wingSavAgedwing at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (5/10/2014 UTC) at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Hello new reader, hope you enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 9 by TheGreenMan at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Being moved to the bookshelf at the Brigantes Bar & Brasserie, the new York BookCrossing Meetup venue...

Journal Entry 10 by TheGreenMan at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (5/21/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

releasing, as promised...

Journal Entry 11 by wingardachywing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Picked up in a swap from the Official BookCrossing Zone at the Brigantes in York.

image

Journal Entry 12 by wingardachywing at Geocache - WW2 BRO Hideout Trinity Wood - Book Exchange Cache in Ashingdon, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Released 4 mos ago (7/2/2014 UTC) at Geocache - WW2 BRO Hideout Trinity Wood - Book Exchange Cache in Ashingdon, Essex United Kingdom

Released in the cache with three other books and a Smurf reading a book.

IMG_2404

For more information about bookcrossing in Essex please click here