corner corner The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey

The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey
by Linda Greenlaw | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 2/14/2011

status (set by Knox9thFloor): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, February 14, 2011

I absolutely loved The Lobster Chronicles, Greenlaw's second book -- so full of interesting characters and humor -- that I could not resist this book about her 30 day swordfishing voyage.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, July 30, 2015

This is Greenlaw's first book, but the third that I have read.

Adding it to the Bio/Humor VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

An enjoyable read and a chance to get a real inside glimpse of the world of commercial fishing boats. I did find some of the technical language challenging, because I kept forgetting how she had explained terms in the previous chapter. I have always known I am not cut out for a life at sea, even though I don't get seasick, and the stories of fish guts and long nights and little sleep and limited hot water or time to myself reinforced that idea. I would prefer to just sit by the water and read books like this. I did appreciate the way she dealth with challenges that came up and her humorous stories of the clash of personalities in a small space. Anyone who reads this book and enjoys it would also like her other two books, The Lobster Chronicles and All Fishermen are Liars.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, May 14, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (5/19/2018 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

This book was unclaimed in the VBB after a few years and the VBB no longer exists, so it is fair game for another type of release.

This book is one of many being passed along to potential readers at the Gaithersburg Book Festival by members of BookCrossing in Washington DC (BCinDC).

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, May 21, 2018

This was one of about a hundred books left over at the end of the day in Gaithersburg. It came home with me for release elsewhere.

Journal Entry 6 by wingKnox9thFloorwing at US Patent & Trademark Off. - Knox Bldg in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, May 21, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (5/21/2018 UTC) at US Patent & Trademark Off. - Knox Bldg in Alexandria, Virginia USA

This book is available on the Book Exchange shelf in the pantry in room 9C68 of the Knox Building (USPTO employees and authorized visitors only - this area is not open to the general public).