corner corner Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls Collection)

Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls Collection)
by Connie Porter | Children's Books
Registered by cordelia-anne of some place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 13, 2011

status (set by AnnaBoo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cordelia-anne from some place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dear Reader,

This is one of the early American Girl books, written by African American author Connie Porter before the enterprise was taken over by Matel. Addy was the first non-white American Girl character. The story of Addy's escape with her mother from a plantation in North Carolina is well-told and exciting. The date of the escape is 1864, one of the final years of the War Between the States. Before their escape, Addy's father and her brother Sam are sold. This promises an adventurous and suspenseful story line for the rest of the series.

Journal Entry 2 by cordelia-anne at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/16/2011 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

I found I had three books around that shared a theme of freedom so, I'm making a quick little package. This is a nice historical novel for Black History Month. It's time to let it fly out into bookcrossing to find more readers.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thank you so much, cordelia-anne! I'll see if I can send this one out again during Black History month. American Girl books are always popular.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Market Street in Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, February 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/27/2011 UTC) at Market Street in Charleston, South Carolina USA

Addy was released out in front of the American Doll store at 129 Market St by a surrogate releaser as I'm still housebound (hoping to get out today finally after a month of several illnesses, one after another. Themed release on the second to last day of Black History month.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us!

Journal Entry 5 by AnnaBoo at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, January 28, 2012

I really liked this book because I was interested in slavery.
I thought it was very exciting when Addy and her mother escaped from slavery.
I can't wait to read the next book!