corner corner Crewel World (Needlecraft Mystery)

Crewel World (Needlecraft Mystery)
by Monica Ferris | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Chania of Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on 2/10/2011

status (set by Nataliec7): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, February 10, 2011

"Margot Berglund owns a needlework and wool store called Crewel World. She's fifty-three, a widow and an expert in her field. Her store does very well for a small town, and she is able to support two part time staff as well as other casual workers. Her husband Aaron had been a wealthy man but despite this she lives a simple life, causing speculation among the town's people. Margot's older sister, Betsy, comes to live with her. In the idyllic world of Margot there are some problems. Her landlord wants her building so he can build something new and charge more, but Margot has a cheap lease that is good for another four years. So Joe sues Margot regularly and threatens her too, but she has a good lawyer to protect her. She also has a "Wanta be" successor who wants to run her own needlework store in a town that cannot support two.
A few nights after her arrival, Betsy comes home and finds Crewel World trashed and Margot murdered. The mystery begins and Betsy takes it into her own hands when she thinks the police aren't doing enough. "

Journal Entry 2 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Very nice - a "classical cozy mystery", in my opinion. The characters seem interesting and even if the book wasn't particularly exciting, it made me want to read more of this series.

Sending this next to Annelis with another book from the series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 03, 2011

Thank you again, Chania!
I think I never heard of this series before even if this book was first printed twelve years ago. The book seems to be just right for a friend of cozy mysteries.
If I remember right, Annimanni was interested too.

HAHA! It looks like I wished for this book so many years ago that I forgot that the book existed.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 08, 2011

This book is so cozy and nice as the people in it - with some exceptions - that it is hard to believe it is a detective novel at all. I have some other book in the series that Annimanni is waiting for. I must ask her if she wants this one too.
This book goes for F in the alphabet challence.
Thank you very much, Chania!

Sirah was interested in reading the book, too.

This is my # 84 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2011" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Got this at the Helsinki meetup tonight. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 31, 2013

This was a disappointment I must say. Badly written, it would have benefitted from a good dose of editing. I feel this is just riding on the cozy mystery wave. Too bad.

***

Next off to kirjakko as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 7 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hmm, this book is dividing opinions. Looking forward to try it out miself.

Journal Entry 8 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, December 16, 2013

Making more than mental notes: disneyfreaksome has this on her wishlist, birthday in April.

Journal Entry 9 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 07, 2014

I'm half-way through now and so far I've liked the book. An observant reader might notice that it is September and disneyfreaksome's birthday was in April... I thought I had looked everywhere for the book, but it had hidden under the dog's bed!! Should I hoover more often? The dog hates it...

Journal Entry 10 by kirjakko at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 11, 2014

It got better towards the end and kept me guessing, but my old nose was on the right trail. Finally disneyfreaksome will get her long-delayed birthday present!

Journal Entry 11 by kirjakko at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 12, 2014

Can't believe it, this is no longer on disneyfreaksome's wishlist!
Let's see who wins the next Tea & Mystery Sweeps, perhaps the winner has not read this yet.

Journal Entry 12 by kirjakko at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/17/2014 UTC) at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom

Off to the winner of Tea & Mystery Sweeps. Sorry I forgot to write a note to congratulate you, I was busy bagging the tea and closing the envelope...
I hope it's not too early for Christmas Tea, but Santa will be shortly around if autumn goes as quickly as this summer went. Enjoy the book and put the kettle on!

Journal Entry 13 by Nataliec7 at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Received as I won the mystery and tea sweeps. Thanks so much Kirjakko for this book and amazing smelling tea! I have yet to taste it however, it has made the kitchen smell absolutely wonderful.
Many thanks.