corner corner Book Of Air And Shadows

Book Of Air And Shadows
by Michael Gruber | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wandering-B of Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Thursday, February 10, 2011

status (set by tobysrus): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Thursday, February 10, 2011

From the cover:

"Tap-tapping the keys and out come the words on this little screen, and who will read them I hardly know. I could be dead by the time anyone actually gets to read them, as dead as, say Tolstoy. Or Shakespeare . . .

These are the words of Jake Mishkin, whose job as an intellectual property lawyer has put him at the centre of a deadly chase to find the world's greatest treasure, Shakespeare's last, lost play.

In a frantic race from New York to England and Switzerland, Jake finds himself matching wits with a shadowy figure who seems to anticipate his every move. What at first seems like a thrilling puzzle waiting to be deciphered soon turns into a dangerous game in which no one - family, friends, lovers - is to be trusted."

Journal Entry 2 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yet, another wishlist book! Thank you so very much for sending it to me. I'm sure I'm going to really enjoy it. And thanks for including the little fun items, like the bear wirework bookmark, special BC bookmarks and a lovely cat calendar!!! Big hugs from Belgium.

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm afraid that this book was a bit of a disappointement to me. Even though 'on paper' it seemed to hold all of my favourite things to read about. Shakespeare, an old mysterious manuscript, the treasure hunt, the different characters and different stories that all came together in the end. But there were many things that bugged me about this book.
This book could have been much better if it had been about half its current size. I don't mind large books if they have something to say, but most of the rambling seemed to be a character sketch of Jake Mishkin. I after a while you really get tired of his ramblings about how deprived he really is and how many women he slept with.
The other main character Crosetti is also not entirely likeable. With his constant talk about the movies ... He makes you feel like you've seen this book before in movie form, but were to stupid to remember it. (The way he constantly keeps predicting what is going to happen, because it's all happened before in the movies.)
I did like the ending however and wished that the entire book had the speed and the momentum of the last chapters, but sadly it doesn't. I really thought this would be my kind of book, but it turned out completely different.

Edit 27/01/2012: Reserved for the winner of the January Inernational Sweepstake.

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to the winner of the sweepstake. I hope you'll enjoy it. I tried to pick something that I thought you might like, but if I chose wrong ... please feel free to do with it as you wish! ;)

Journal Entry 5 by pam99 at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Thank you very much - this arrived yesterday! I think I must have read a review of this book as I've definitely heard of it, but haven't read it. Looking forward to this one!

Journal Entry 6 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I thought I'd enjoy this book but I have to agree with previous journallers, it was overly long and in parts repetitive. The basic storyline was very good, I think I just don't like Gruber's style - not an author I'll look for in future I'm afraid.

This book has had quite a journey around the world already, and I see several bookcrossers have wished for it - I've contacted one of them in the US, and if he/she still wants the book I'll RABCK it on.

Journal Entry 7 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom

forgot to make release notes for this - posted it to another bookcrosser a few days ago!

Journal Entry 8 by wingtobysruswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 30, 2012

Woo hoo! A RABCK from my wishlist!! Thanks pam99! I look forward to reading it! Happy reading.....