corner corner The Complete Essex County

The Complete Essex County
by Jeff Lemire | Graphic Novels
Registered by eicuthbertson of Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on 2/6/2011

status (set by monnibo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by eicuthbertson from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, February 06, 2011

One of the Canada Reads 2011 nominees.

Publisher's description:
Where does a young boy turn when his whole world suddenly disappears? What turns two brothers from an unstoppable team into a pair of bitterly estranged loners? How does the simple-hearted care of one middle-aged nurse reveal the scars of an entire community, and can anything heal the wounds caused by a century of deception? Award-winning cartoonist Jeff Lemire pays tribute to his roots with Essex County, an award-winning trilogy of graphic novels set in an imaginary version of his hometown, the eccentric farming community of Essex County, Ontario, Canada. In Essex County, Lemire crafts an intimate study of one community through the years, and a tender meditation on family, memory, grief, secrets, and reconciliation. With the lush, expressive inking of a young artist at the height of his powers, Lemire draws us in and sets us free. This new edition collects the complete, critically-acclaimed trilogy (Tales from the Farm, Ghost Stories, and The Country Nurse) in one deluxe volume! Also included are over 40-pages of previously unpublished material, including two new stories.

Journal Entry 2 by eicuthbertson at Rhizome Cafe in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, February 06, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (2/9/2011 UTC) at Rhizome Cafe in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Releasing at the Lower Mainland BookCrossing Meetup

When: Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:00 PM

Where:
Rhizome Cafe
317 East Broadway Vancouver, BC

Journal Entry 3 by breem42 at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 11, 2011

As comic books -- sorry 'graphic novels' -- go this is an really great book. But I kept feeling disappointed. The book could be contained in three well written short stories. I read the entire book in two sittings of perhaps three hours total. They are touching, meaningful stories, worthy of being read and savoured.

But this is not a novel. It did not deserve to be on 'Canada Reads', and it does not surprise me that it was the first book to be eliminated. It could win 'Canada's Best Graphic Novel' hands down.

Journal Entry 4 by monnibo at Word Vancouver (book & magazine festival) in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, September 26, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/27/2015 UTC) at Word Vancouver (book & magazine festival) in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

The Lower Mainland BookCrossing Meetup Group will be participating in Word Vancouver 2015

Date: Sunday, September 27, 2015.
Location: Library Square, 350 Georgia Street, Vancouver

The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group is a free gathering of book lovers. Join us at Word Vancouver 2015 - Table P16. Learn more about us at www.meetup.com/bcbooks and the festival at www.wordvancouver.ca