corner corner The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
by Junot Díaz | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 2/3/2011

status (set by Chania): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 03, 2011

From the flea market.

www.barnesandnoble.com:

"Things have never been easy for Oscar, a sweet but disastrously overweight, lovesick Dominican ghetto nerd. From his home in New Jersey, where he lives with his old-world mother and rebellious sister, Oscar dreams of becoming the Dominican J. R. R. Tolkien and, most of all, of finding love. But he may never get what he wants, thanks to the fukú – the curse that has haunted the Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic accidents, and, above all, ill-starred love. Oscar, still waiting for his first kiss, is just its most recent victim.

Diaz immerses us in the tumultuous life of Oscar and the history of the family at large, rendering with genuine warmth and dazzling energy, humor, and insight the Dominican–American experience, and, ultimately, the endless human capacity to persevere in the face of heartbreak and loss. A true literary triumph, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao confirms Junot Diaz as one of the best and most exciting voices of our time."

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 02, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (9/2/2011 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I'm overloaded with TBR books so I decided to skip this one. I hope Annimanni will have time to read it , travels to her as a part of the wishlist-tag-game of the Finnish BC forum (Hippa-ketju).

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Arrived safely, thank you!

ETA 21.9.2014
Reserved for Tarna's Trophy Cabinet.
Winner of the Pulitzer Price for Fiction 2008
Winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction 2007

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I wasn't crazy about this book. Parts of it where great, hilarious, touching, but other parts boring. I hope Chania will enjoy it more!

Journal Entry 5 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Thank you so much, I look forward to read this!

Journal Entry 6 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, October 28, 2016

I agree with Annimanni - and for me especially the long footnotes were something that I could not really concentrate. But a good story, even if I'd liked a bit more happiness in it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingChaniawing at Kokkolan Prisma in Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, February 09, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (2/9/2017 UTC) at Kokkolan Prisma in Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland

Enjoy!