corner corner Little Women (Puffin Classics)

Little Women (Puffin Classics)
by Louisa M. Alcott | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 1/31/2011

status (set by LindyLouMac): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 31, 2011

Re reading at the moment for a Victorian Literature Challenge I am taking part in.

Product Description Amazon .co.uk
The good-natured March girls - Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy - manage to lead interesting lives despite their father's absence at war and the family's lack of money. Whether they're making plans for putting on a play or forming a secret society, their enthusiasm is infectious.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, February 14, 2011

Little Women is one of my favourite classics from my childhood. While I rarely re-read novels I decided to make an exception for this. It was after reading March by Geraldine Brooks last year I felt that I wanted to renew my acquaintance with Meg, Jo Beth and Amy.
Using the character of John March, Geraldine Brooks created a touching well written story which is in my opinion a decent read but nothing more. It seems I may well be in the minority holding this opinion as I learnt that the novel won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2006. This award is presented to a 'distinguished' work of fiction by an American author, preferably dealing with American life. This last paragraph is taken from my original review where you can read more of my thoughts concerning this sequel.

My interest in reading Little Women again made it the perfect choice for a reading challenge I have signed up for. The Victorian Literature Challenge

Although originally published in 1868 I think the March girls still have a message to give us, which is probably why it has been a favourite of so many generations of young girls. A heart rending story of a family that despite times of poverty and despair, discover that love and hope can overcome. It is the little things in life that are important and the love of family and friends. We see Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy progress from little girls into young women with growing maturity as they deal with the problems they encounter. Whilst some of these issues may seem out-dated to the modern reader, many are still relevant to a 21st century generation that will read and enjoy Little Women
I must warn you though that there is a lot of moralizing and Louisa M Alcott’s style of writing is rather cloying, but remember this was written in 1867 when life was very different and it is also a semi autobiographical novel. Overcome this and it is worth reading if you have never done so.

More author details in post at LindyLoumac's Book Reviews