corner corner La's Orchestra Saves the World

La's Orchestra Saves the World
by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 1/25/2011

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yipppeee!!I was happy to find this book from our main library's book trade shelf today. It's in perfect condition and McCall Smith is one of my favourite authors!

From the back cover:

'With a failed marriage behind her, La (short for Lavender) moves to the Suffolk countryside on the eve of the Second World War to nurse her broken heart. Lonely and at a loss, she decides to bring the villagers and men from the local airbase together by forming an amateur orchestra; one of the musician recruits is Feliks, a handsome but enigmatic Polish refugee. A friendship begins to blossom between the two, and La finds her feelings stirring back into life.'

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, July 31, 2011

I love the humanity of the books by McCall Smith, this was as warm-hearted as the others I've read by him. The historical aspects were something new in this book, I just wish I knew the background of the war better. McCall Smith describes the characters with such empathy, you feel you'll like them all :)

Journal Entry 3 by winglukutuoliwing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 08, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/9/2011 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I tagged Annimanni in the wishlist-tag-game of the Finnish BC forum (Hippa-ketju) with this book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thanks very much! I absolutely adore McCall Smith <3

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 25, 2013

This was quite different from McCall Smith's other works, melancholy and quiet in many ways. Not very deep, of course (you don't really expect depth from McCall Smith, do you?), but enjoyable bus reading nevertheless :)

Thanks for sharing, lukutuoli!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 11, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/12/2013 UTC) at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Will La find a new friend at the Helsinki meetup?

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Oh, this book tried to hide at the bottom of my rucksack.
Thank you for the book, kind Bookcrossers!