corner corner Sorrows of Young Werther (Dover Thrift Editions)

Sorrows of Young Werther (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Simson-Shilitoe of Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, January 24, 2011

status (set by Tubereader): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Simson-Shilitoe from Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, January 24, 2011

The Sorrows of Young Werther (Die Leiden des jungen Werthers) is an epistolary and loosely autobiographical novel by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, first published in 1774; a revised edition of the novel was published in 1787. Werther was an important novel of the Sturm und Drang period in German literature, and influenced the later Romantic literary movement.

The book made Goethe one of the first international literary celebrities. Toward the end of his life, a personal visit to Weimar became crucial to any young man's tour of Europe.

Plot Summary:
Honorable and sensitive young Werther literally perishes from a love that can never be, a love for a married young woman, and writes his agonized letter diary to a friend, describing in tragic emotional detail his experiences.

Journal Entry 2 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, January 24, 2011

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:
Goethe (28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832) was a German writer and polymath. Goethe is considered the supreme genius of modern German literature. Goethe's works span the fields of poetry, drama, literature, philosophy, and science. His "Faust" has been called the greatest long poem of modern European literature.

Goethe was one of the key figures of German literature and the movement of Weimar Classicism in the late 18th and early 19th centuries; this movement coincides with Enlightenment, Sentimentality (Empfindsamkeit), Sturm und Drang and Romanticism. The author of the scientific text "Theory of Colours", his influential ideas on plant and animal morphology and homology were extended and developed by 19th century naturalists including Charles Darwin.

Goethe's influence spread across Europe, and for the next century his works were a major source of inspiration in music, drama, poetry and philosophy.

Goethe's Literary work:
The most important of Goethe's works produced before he went to Weimar were his tragedys "Götz von Berlichingen" (1773), which was the first work to bring him recognition, and the novel "The Sorrows of Young Werther" (called "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" in German) (1774), which gained him enormous fame as a writer in the "Sturm und Drang" period which marked the early phase of "Romanticism" – indeed the book is often considered to be the "spark" which ignited the movement, and can arguably be called the world's first "best-seller". (For the entirety of his life this was the work with which the vast majority of Goethe's contemporaries associated him).

During the years at Weimar before he met Schiller he began "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship", wrote the dramas "Iphigenie auf Tauris" ("Iphigenia in Tauris"), "Egmont", "Torquato Tasso", and the fable "Reineke Fuchs".

To the period of his friendship with Friedrich Schiller belong "Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years "(the continuation of "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship"), the idyll of "Hermann and Dorothea", the "Roman Elegies" and the verse drama "The Natural Daughter".

In the last period, between Schiller's death, in 1805, and his own, appeared "Faust Part One", "Elective Affinities", the "West-Eastern Divan" (a collection of poems in the Persian style, influenced by the work of Hafez), his autobiographical "Aus meinem Leben: Dichtung und Wahrheit" ("From My Life: Poetry and Truth") which covers his early life and ends with his departure for Weimar, his Italian Journey, and a series of treatises on art. His writings were immediately influential in literary and artistic circles.

"Faust Part Two" was only finished in the year of his death, and was published posthumously.

Journal Entry 3 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, January 24, 2011

Bookray order so far (can be changed):

1. Shovelmonkey1, United Kingdom, UK or EU
7. Chiboiler, USA, intl
8. ealasaidmae, USA, intl
9. Tubereader, Belgium, EU

10. ..... you

Journal Entry 4 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, February 07, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/7/2011 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Posted the book to the UK in the late afternoon. I hope you all enjoy this book and thank you very much for joining.

PS to Shovelmonkey1: I hope you will like both Werther`s?! (lol)

Journal Entry 5 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ah simson your wit has cheered me up very much this evening after a very tiring and difficult day at work and the double Werther's delivery is genius!! If you want a brief synopsis about my day at work it is as follows: I am working on a site with a lot of tunnels running underneath it but many are unmapped and unknown. It rained a lot over the weekend and as a result of construction work and disturbance to the ground a big sink hole opened in the middle of site and now we have to engineer around a yawning chasm in the ground in order to put the building up. arrrgh!
I might have to pop a werthers (sweet not goethe book) in my mouth to stop me from gnashing my teeth and moaning about work... job done!

Journal Entry 6 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Started reading this today - it's a very small book so it won't be long before it's on the move again.

Journal Entry 7 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh Werther, Werther, Werther. Someone got a little bit fixated didn't they? Taking a leaf straight out of Shakespeare's lover-lorn rule book (see Ophelia as example number one of a tragedy waiting to happen) Werther turns loving friendship to a full blown stalker obsession.
Here's a handy Werther style guide to obsession;
1. Meet a friendly young lady.
2. Be forewarned that she is already betrothed to another, and then pay no heed.
3. Write, think and talk about nothing else apart from the object of your amour.
4. Consider murdering your loved ones fiance
5. Find a shady corner to carry out further obsessing
6. Run away to join the army (unsuccessfully)
7. Make dramatic overtures about ending it all

I suspect Werther is a curiously individual example of amorous obsession for the late 18th century, mainly because he is a man. At this time women were generally supposed to be more inclined to this kind of romantic pining. Men on the other hand were billed as stoic, detatched and generally got whichever girl they wanted. When women were thought to be driven mad for "wont of love", much like Werther in this book, it was thought to be some kind of brain fever brought on by an excess of emotion. In reality most of them were driven mad by the sexual frustration caused by the rules set in place by society at the time. So I guess the question is, was Werther really such an ardent romantic or do his letters just express pent up sexual frustration couched in more socially acceptable terms?

Journal Entry 8 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, February 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/28/2011 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

This book is now travelling on to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Book has arrived safe and sound, it will be next on the list, thanks for sharing.

6 March 11 - well I guessed by the title of this book that it was not going to be a happy read and what a good guess! It took me a few pages to get used to the writing style (in fact I had to do a restart as nothing sunk in the first attemp), once he met Charlotte I found the reading easier. For such a small book this crams a hell of lot in as described by shovelmonkey1 above. Predictable ending but glad I have read it. I have the address of Caroley so will get this in the post next week.

Journal Entry 10 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 07, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/7/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On its way to Caroley

Journal Entry 11 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Received today thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2011

This was ok. I quite liked the writing style but I'm afraid I got quite irritated with Werther. He was a bit of a drama queen, wasn't he?

Journal Entry 13 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/13/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posting to Brunton11

Journal Entry 14 by wingbrunton11wing at Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Arrived today - Thanks all for sharing. I'll make a start on this one once I've read my current book.

Journal Entry 15 by wingbrunton11wing at Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, March 21, 2011

I quite liked this one - One of the better 1001BTRBYD I've read recently.

Sending on to lamelemon today.

Journal Entry 16 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Thursday, April 07, 2011

Thanks for letting me be a part of this book's journey. It arrived perfectly after a tiring exam, so I'll get right into it some time this weekend. I'm very anxious to read such a famous and appreciated book. Seeming such a light one (in length, not in meanings :) I expect it'll be travelling again by the end of next week.

Journal Entry 17 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, April 16, 2011

I guess it's one of those books you expect too much of before reading it. It was entertaining and I found no difficulties to get through it. However, I secretly hoped Werther were more of an idealist and less of a love fool. In other words, I wished him dead with world-changing ideas and not an unfulfilled passion. This is probably my literature teacher's fault, as he always pointed "The Sorrows.." as a life-changing experience for youths and as a book to start a massive wave of (idealist) suicides when it first went out. Now I simply can't picture someone being influenced by Werther's lamentations. Of course it is a great work and I'm glad I checked this one out of my TBR list. But nonetheless I expected more pure philosophy out of it.

Journal Entry 18 by lamelemon at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (4/19/2011 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Young Werther is on the road again, now travelling towards Tsjara in the Netherlands.
Happy reading everyone, and thanks for making me a part of this book's journey!

Journal Entry 19 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 23, 2011

That was quick! Yay, my first package (and stamps) from Romania ^_^ Thanks lamelemon (and for the BC stickers too)! Hmm..the cover looks faintly familiar..a bit like that painting by Caspar David Friedrich, something with a monk? :p
I do have a couple bookrings in front of this one, but since this is a small book it won't take too long (I hope ;p). Thanks for sharing Simson-Shilitoe!

Journal Entry 20 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I finished reading this some days ago, and I quite enjoyed it. At first I found it a little hard to get into, as it just jumps right into the story, which left me a bit confused about what was going on. Werther did seem a bit arrogant sometimes, and rather dramatic.. (maybe an emo, if he had lived in the 21th century.. :p). Though I like the philosophical bits thrown in. And sometimes I could relate to him, the way he sees his surroundings, the beauty of nature, and wanting to capture that.. (I always wonder, when I'm sitting in the train or bus, why people are so absorbed in their i-pod/phone or some other device while there are much more beautiful/interesting things outside to look at :p). Hmm.. he was a bit obsessed about Charlotte, even though he knew she was already taken.. maybe a bit self-destructive?

Journal Entry 21 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (5/25/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Mailed it to Chiboiler today (sorry for the delay).
Safe travels little book :)

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 22 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Received this one in the mail and started reading it this morning on the bus. Thanks for passing it on!

Journal Entry 23 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, June 18, 2011

Finished this short book off the 1001 list. It took longer for me to read this than it should have, Young Werther was a bit hard to take at times. Thanks for passing this one on. I am pm'ing the next reader to get this moving again.

Journal Entry 24 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Saturday, July 02, 2011

arrived yesterday

Journal Entry 25 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grand language, isn't it? I thunk that's what I enjoy most about reading Goethe. He's just so pretty. That said, I believe Werther could have benefited greatly from a firm slap to the head. I like the Romantics for their language and poetry but all of the whining irks me. Am I the only one who thinks Charlotte wasn't really that nice of a person? She knew what was happening and instead of trying to gently detach Werther she just basked in his attention. Albert was a bit oblivious as well. But this book was a good way to spend an afternoon - I read it with a thunderstorm raging outside, dark, swirling clouds and lightning, and it all felt so right. I've PM'd Tubereader and will get this out as soon as I hear back.

Journal Entry 26 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2011 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

Werther's on his way

Journal Entry 27 by Tubereader at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Monday, August 01, 2011

The book has arrived safely! Thank you for sharing it! I have been away for a couple of weeks but it was a nice thing to come back to from holidays! Will start reading ASAP (size is good for commuting reading!).

Journal Entry 28 by Tubereader at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Monday, August 29, 2011

I finished the book a couple of weeks ago but I have been travelling quite a lot since then, so haven't had a chance to write the journal entry.

I share the views of most of the previous reviewers. I thought the writing was beautiful (although it took me longer than expected to get into the book) and the story tragic... I can kind of understand how he falls in love with Charlotte (even knowing she is already taken), but I really cannot understand how he can go as far as taking his own life on this account...

Thanks for sharing, Simson-Shilitoe, I am reserving this book for a 1001 books bookbox that I hope to set up very soon!