corner corner Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid

Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid
by Dr. Denis Leary | Humor
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 24, 2011

status (set by fracula): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 24, 2011

"A pissed off Leary is the best Leary," says one critic of the writer and comic. In Why We Suck, Dr. Denis Leary uses his common sense, and his biting and hilarious take on the world, to attack the politically correct, the hypocritical, the obese, the thin--basically everyone who takes themselves too seriously. He does so with the extra oomph of a doctorate bestowed upon him by his alma mater Emerson College. "Sure it's just a celebrity type of thing--they only gave it to me because I'm famous." Leary explains. "But it's legal and it means I get to say I'm a doctor--just like Dr. Phil."

In Why We Suck, Leary's famously smart style and sardonic wit have found their fullest and fiercest expression yet. Zeroing in on the ridiculous wherever he finds it, Leary unravels his Irish Catholic upbringing, the folly of celebrity, the pressures of family life, and the great hypocrisy of politics with the same bright, savage, and profane insight he brought to his critically acclaimed one-man shows No Cure for Cancer and Lock 'n Load, and his platinum-selling song, "Asshole."

Proudly Irish American, defiantly working class, with a reserve of compassion for the underdog and the overlooked, Leary delivers blistering diatribes that are penetrating social commentary with no holds barred. Leary's book will find wide appeal among people who want to laugh out loud or find a guide who matches their view of what's wrong in America and the world-at-large; and fans of his one-man shows, his many movies, and Rescue Me, Leary's Golden Globe and Emmy-nominated television show. Why We Suck is the latest salvo from one of America's most original and biting comic satirists.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/9/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book is being released at the April Meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, at the Joshua Tree Café. In honour of April Fools Day - we are sharing books of humour.

Journal Entry 3 by PanikKitty at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012

I forgot I had this one... Oops.

Journal Entry 4 by PanikKitty at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/18/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Left with fellow bookcrosser to pass on at next Calgary BC get together

Journal Entry 5 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Picked up at the April Calgary BC meeting.

Journal Entry 6 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Well... that was terrible.

The book was billed as a 'common-sense' based and fairly snarky self-help book. I've found similar things funny, so I thought I'd try it out. Unfortunately it turns out that 'common-sense' actually means bio-essentialist bullshit. If I had a dollar for every use of the phrase 'because women/men are just more/less whatever than men/women because hormones/genes/etc' I'd be much wealthier and no less annoyed.

If you want to write about biology, you do real research, from proper peer-reviewed sources and if you can't pull it off, either ask someone who knows what they're doing, or just don't.

Journal Entry 7 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Missed the bookcrossing meeting but my name was on the book so my daughter brought it home. Hmmm Why we suck?!

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

I found the way this book was written - lots of single lines and space really hard to get into. I thumbed my way through it and read a bit. Not really my cup of tea!

Journal Entry 10 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to Joshua tree cafe for monthly bookcrossing meeting to pass on to a new crosser.

Journal Entry 11 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ha ha ha... Well, not universally liked by my female friends! No surprise!

Back to me...

Journal Entry 12 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Giving to a visitor from Edmonton.
------------------------------------------------
DEAR FINDER,

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world.

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

1) You may continue as an Anonymous Finder. Or, Register as a member , then you too will receive future journal entries on this book and track its journey around the world! It's free and spam-free, as you are only known by your chosen nick name and no one is ever given your e-mail address. (If you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, Fracula, as your referring member.)

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

4) Ready to pass the book on? Click on "make release notes" to let us know where it's going! Leave the book in a public place or give it to a friend! It's good book karma!

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our Facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.