corner corner Lolita

Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction
Registered by imawinn2 of Neenah, Wisconsin USA on 1/19/2011

status (set by rem_KQI-811293): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Disturbing, entrancing and darkly humorous. Nabokov's Lolita is a book that when I started reading it, I felt, out of decency, I should put it down but it kept drawing me in. Lolita is a chilling account of the main character's, Humbert Humbert, relationship with his 12 year old step-daughter, Lolita. Humbert uses young Lolita as a physical and psychological way to replace an unfulfilled love during his youth. At first Humbert is portrayed as misguided intellectual with the desire for "nymphets" but as the story progresses, you begin to see inside the dark mind of a dangerous pedophile.

Journal Entry 2 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, January 20, 2011

I am offering this book as a bookring.

Bookring Rules:

1) When you receive the book, please journal it so that the group knows where it has landed.

2) Please take care of the book. Others want to read it and would be disappointed to receive a destroyed book. Take care of it as if it were your own.

3) Plan on keeping the book for no more than 30 days. If you think you might need more time, please make note as a journal entry. If you would like to participate in the ring but know that you can’t read it in the allotted time, I will gladly add you toward the end of the list.

Be considerate to the others in the bookring and do not stall the book.

4) When you’re ready to pass the book along, PM the next person on the list to get their address. Journal again when you've sent it on. Let everyone know what you thought of the book and where you’ve sent it. Set the book’s status code to “traveling”.

Reading Order:

**Reading order may change as others join. Always check before sending book to next participant

esq228 - New Jersey, U.S.A. - U.S.A. shipping
JudySlump612 - Minnesota, U.S.A. Ship anywhere
mepotter - California, U.S.A - ship anywhere
GronnLivsstil - Norway - prefers EUR. Shipping (asked to be skipped)
dutch-book - Netherlands - prefers EUR. Shipping
kalise - Austria - EUR. shipping
LiniP - Germany - Ship anywhere asked to be skipped
PussInBooks - United Kingdom - Ship anywhere
MKtiny - United Kingdom - Ship Anywhere (towards the end)
minesayn - Ohio, U.S.A. - Ship U.S.A./Canada
ealasaidmae - West Virginia - Ship Anywhere
Back to imawinn2 --- the book is here

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, January 31, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/31/2011 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Lolita is starting its journey. Like Lolita and Humphrey, it is traveling across the U.S.A. But, unlike the characters of this memorable story, the book is also traveling through Europe. Hope the journey is a success and that the readers see why Nabokov's book made such a sensation and landed on the "1001 Books You Must Read" list.

Journal Entry 4 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Saturday, February 05, 2011

Received yesterday. And starting today. Thanks for including me! I've been wanting to read this book ever since it was mentioned in a Police song ages and ages ago. :)

Journal Entry 5 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whew. Finally finished this one. It was tough to get through, but I also couldn't just walk away mid-story. I don't even know what to say. Imawinn22 describes it perfectly. I would add only that Nabakov's use of foreign and "foreign" (English words I need a dictionary for) words in Humbert's voice was brilliantly irritating. Soooo...thank you for including me. I'll pass this along as soon as I have somewhere to send it. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Arrived safely today. I'm pleased to see this ring has a good variety of readers, as I'm looking forward to reading peoples' reactions almost as much as I am to reading the book itself.

Journal Entry 7 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, April 11, 2011

Imawinn2, I love what you said about this book traveling across the USA like Lolita and Humbert. Those trips would be different today, when most long-distance driving is on the Interstate and the stops would probably be at national franchises. But if my memories are any good, this book is a perfect recapture of travel in the 1950's.

The first thing that always strikes me about the book is the brilliant writing. You might want to have a dictionary handy, but the language is so elegant and evocative it's worth it. For instance, just opened the book at random, and found this sentence:
> The words "novelties and souvenirs" simply entranced her by their trochaic lilt.<
Pure beauty!

For the actual story, first I have to say that the cover picture shown, and the cover of the copy we're sharing, as well as the first, Stanley Kubrick film version, all duck the core of the book: Lolita is only twelve years old, and almost completely vulnerable. Last year I read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi, which really opened my eyes to the theme of captivity. Because the story is told from Humbert's viewpoint, and because he is so entertaining a narrator, it can take a while to see the story as Lolita's experience.

Something I really noticed for the first time is how contemptuous Humbert is of virtually everyone around him. Could this be a case of protesting a little too much, to mask and compensate for his own insecurity? If so, it makes sense that the only person he could fall in love with is someone so young she has almost no resources, legal, financial, psychological, to challenge him.

Mepotter has already sent me his address, so the book will move on today. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do, and can't wait to read all the journal entries!

Journal Entry 8 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 11, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/11/2011 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today, DCN 0309 3220 0002 2673 4032

I used a BookCrossing reusable envelope, which appears quite sturdy, so I'm hoping future bookring members can peel off or cover up the old addresses and continue recycling it.

Journal Entry 9 by mepotter at Los Angeles, California USA on Friday, April 15, 2011

The book reached me this week, and I've only just started, but so far it's really marvelous.

Journal Entry 10 by mepotter at Los Angeles, California USA on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I finished reading and sent the book off to dutch-book this afternoon since GronnLivsstil asked to be passed up due to studies. I re-used Judy's Velcro-seal BookCrossing envelope.

Lolita was a really wonderful read. Despite the assertions of the main character, this is not an apology for pedophilia at all. Humbert seems quite aware of what he is doing though he believes he cannot control his impulses. Nabokov did a miraculous job of making an unsympathetic type of person into a sympathetic character. As Judy said, Lolita's viewpoint is in there, although it's underplayed as part of Humbert's experience.

Journal Entry 11 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Book arrived today! I'm really looking forward to it. As pedophilia is a subject I'm quite interested in. I want to know more about it. I've just read The 19th wife, which has a bit of pedophilia in it, although it is not really specified and/or named. But I guess, marrying, as an adult man, a 14-year-old girl and consuming this marriage is pedophilia too.
There is also a movie which I've seen and I would recommend: Hard candy. In which a girl decides to punish a pedophile. An at a certain point you even feel sorry for the pedophile, which was, in my case, a very mixed emotion. Anyway, this book is TBR.

Journal Entry 12 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 11, 2011

I finished the book today. Various emotions throughout the book. Don't know if I should feel sorry for Humbert or for Lolita or for both. I agreed with the afterword about the question often asked of writers: Why did you write the book? What was your purpose? And often I see this answer: I've wrote it without purpose, the story just kept bugging me and I had to write it off.
I'm now awaiting kalise's adress.

A note of importance to next readers and imawinn2: The book is getting old and needs to be read with care as it is falling apart. I'm going to tape the outside cover, as I'm afraid it will end up in two parts with the next reader. Read with care.

Journal Entry 13 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 11, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (7/11/2011 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Sent off to kalise.

Journal Entry 14 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Friday, July 15, 2011

Received this book today in the mail! Perfect timing! Am happy about being able to read this book now as I have also signed up for that other ring "Reading Lolita in Tehran". Thank you dutch book for sending!!!

Journal Entry 15 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Thursday, August 04, 2011

Entrancing prose, brilliant writing! I read this book with "detached fascination": honestly, I did not care much for the story itself. Nonetheless I continued reading because the lyrical writing completely captivated me, and it is fascinating to see how the narrator manipulates the reader's sympathies. Quite brilliant! All in all I am glad I read the book.

Thank you for sharing! The book is already on the way to PussInBooks in the UK.

Journal Entry 16 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Thursday, August 04, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (8/4/2011 UTC) at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria

Book is in the mail!

Journal Entry 17 by PussInBooks at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 12, 2011

Received in the post today, thanks!

Journal Entry 18 by PussInBooks at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I didn't really enjoy reading this - I found Humbert such a loathsome character that it actually made my skin crawl to read on at times. His delusion, his self-pity, his unwillingness to take responsibility for his actions, all made me want to see him come to a very unpleasant end. If Nabokov's aim was to disturbingly chronicle how manipulative and self-deluding paedophiles are, then he has certainly succeeded with this book. However, although he says that asking 'why write about this?' is an irrelevant question, I disagree. What did Nabokov really want to achieve through this deeply unsettling book? There are times when the writing veers dangerously close to glorifying paedophilia, and although you'd hope that the affect on most readers would be one of disgust, I can't help thinking that some might find titillation in Humbert's accounts of how he repeatedly rapes and molests a child. The overblown prose just seems to try to paint a sadistic criminal as some kind of romantic poet, and if Humbert referred to himself as 'tender-hearted' one more time I was tempted to smash something!
Uncomfortable reading. Wouldn't recommend, and wouldn't want to read it again. But, it's a book I've heard a lot about and now I can say my curiosity is satisfied!
PMing MKtiny now....

Journal Entry 19 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 16, 2011

Met up with PussInBoots in Milton Keynes to pick up the book. It's a bit thicker than I thought and I've got a couple of books to read before I get to this one.

Journal Entry 20 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 24, 2011

To call this book a 'masterpiece' is not an overstatement and its reputation is well deserved. The quality of the writing is unquestionble.

Humbert Humbert is a complex character, expertly drawn - a disturbing combination of human and monster. The book is written from Humbert's point of view and he often gives himself preditory animal characteristics, for example as having 'claws' or 'tentacles'. There are numerous chilling passages in the book, but one that stands out to me is where he's sitting in a rocking chair on the patio like a spider in the heart of his web, pulling on invisible sensory threads trying to work out which room in the house Lolita is in.

JudySlump612 is right about trying to see Lolita's point of view. It's hard to see beyond Humbert's warped vision of her, but there are glimpses that reveal the effects of her captivity and lost childhood. I'm sure if I read it again I would see more.

It is a book that requires much rereading to appreciate the layers of meaning and I have to admit I lost the thread a bit towards the end with the significance of Quilty.

The humour is very black, but it adds to the shock value for the reader. The effect of toilets flushing and indigestion help make your hair stand on end in one particular scene!

This book is a 'must read' and you won't forget it in a hurry.

On it's way to minesayn in the USA.

Journal Entry 21 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Received today in the mail from Mktiny. Have heard so much about this novel, and Raluk68 told me it was a "must-read". Will get on it right away, and keep it moving. Thanks imawinn2 for opportunity to read this classic.

Journal Entry 22 by wingminesaynwing at Saint Albans, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/10/2012 UTC) at Saint Albans, West Virginia USA

Sending via media mail to the next member in the ring...I still have to finish it (will get a copy from the library), but will be away for several weeks and didn't want to hold up the ring any longer or risk misplacing by taking it with me.
So far, finding it interesting, but not as compelling as I thought. Humbert is a bit self-justifying as well as creepy (but then the novel is supposed to be from his point of view of his obsession with Lolita and other nymphets). Not as graphic as it could be...regardless, really want to finish it when I return.
Thanks for allowing me to participate in the ring, and will add more thoughts about the novel when I finish.

Journal Entry 23 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Sunday, January 15, 2012

The book arrived yesterday - thanks, minesayn! I'm reading another ring book now but I'll jump into this one next.

Journal Entry 24 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Thursday, February 02, 2012

This isn't what I was expecting at all. The language was really beautiful and made it a joy to read. The view into Humbert's mind is fascinating. It's such an uncomfortable dichotomy, knowing that what he's doing is wrong but trying so desperately to justify it to himself and everyone else as pure and noble love. Poor Lolita hardly gets any real time in the book at all. She's both the title character and a background player. The dynamic that Nabokov has set up here is really interesting. I wish that I could read Russian now! Imagine what Nabokov must be able to do in his native language.

Journal Entry 25 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Friday, February 03, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/3/2012 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

Lolita's on her way home

Journal Entry 26 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Lolita made it back home. Thanks so much, everybody, for making this bookring a success! It was wonderful to see all your responses and thoughts on Nobokov's writing and subject matter. I'm thinking I'm going to scrounge up a movie version of Lolita just for comparison. I'm also deciding whether I will re-read this book, now that the "shock" has worn off. ;-) Or... I may just send it out on another journey. In any case, you'll all agree that Lolita won't leave our minds too quickly.

Journal Entry 27 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/12/2012 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Placing this book in TaleofGenji's The Fairy Godmother Fiction Bookbox. At the time of this posting, this book had 35 Wishes in the U.S.A. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 28 by rem_KQI-811293 at Yuma, Arizona USA on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Taking from the Fairy Godmother Bookbox

Journal Entry 29 by rem_KQI-811293 at Post Office (4th Ave & 20th St) in Yuma, Arizona USA on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/20/2012 UTC) at Post Office (4th Ave & 20th St) in Yuma, Arizona USA

Left on the self-service machine in the lobby. Decided it would take me too long to get to it, so it needed to be freed.