corner corner The Whaleboat House

The Whaleboat House
by Mark Mills | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on 1/18/2011

status (set by schwester): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Amazon Editorial Review
An enthralling crime novel set in post World War II Long Island. Long Island, 1947 The men of Long Island have fished the wild Atlantic waters over the centuries. For Conrad Labarde, recently returned from the Second World War, the nets hold a sinister catch -- the body of Lillian Wallace, a beautiful New York socialite. Is it an accident or murder? Police chief Tom Hollis is convinced the roots of the tragedy lie in the twisted histories of local families. But the enigmatic Labarde insists on pursuing his own investigation. It seems the fisherman may have powerful reasons for wanting answers to the questions surrounding her death. And in this strange place where tradition meets power and riches, the truth is a rare thing indeed!

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/19/2011 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the winner of a sweep.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another new author for me, but it is an impressing looking book. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes it's hard not to! Thanks for sending this to me, keeta! Kisses from Belgium.
Oh, and before I forget: Thanks for the nifty, magnetic bookmark. That will come to good use!

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, February 19, 2012

I was a tad bit reluctant to start this book, because I didn't really know what to think of it. But I liked it in the end anyway. The story builds up very slowly, but that didn't annoy me at all. Actually it kind of reminded me of the old Inspector Frost series that I used to watch together with my grandmother. Once I had passed the halfway mark of the book I did start to want a bit more information about the crime, of which you don't even know it is a crime just yet. I liked it, though I didn't love it. It was a pleasurable book and that's just fine with me. Thanks again for sending it my way, keeta. I already know where it is going next!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/1/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to the winner of a sweepstake. You had to wait for it for quite a while, so I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Monday, March 05, 2012

Thank you! Looks really interesting and don´t worry: I got a few books, so I had something to read :-)

Vienna, June 2012: I´m not interested in fishing, so some parts were rather hard for me, but I started to like it a lot. It´s not only a crime story but much more around it, and that´s the way I like crime stories.... I even got a used German copy (as they are no longer available new) for father´s day as my father just visited Long Island and will also like the style I think.

Journal Entry 7 by wingschwesterwing at Porgy in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria on Friday, June 15, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/14/2012 UTC) at Porgy in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria

im Porgy & Bess, die Ebene von der Galerie, auf einem Tisch im Vorraum