corner corner The Full Cupboard of Life: Winner of the Saga award for Wit (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by disneyfreaksam of Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on 1/14/2011

status (set by bookowl1000): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by disneyfreaksam from Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 14, 2011

Mma Ramotswe, who became engaged to Mr JLB Matekoni remains unmarried. She wonders when a day for the wedding will be named, but is anxious to avoid putting too much pressure on her fiance. For indeed he has other things on his mind - notably a frightening request made of him by Mma Potokwani, pushy matron of the Orphan Farm. Mma Ramotswe herself has weighty matters to consider. She has been approached by a wealthy lady - whose fortune comes from successful hair-braiding salons - and has been asked to investigate several suitors. Are these men just interested in her money? This may be difficult to find out, but Mma Ramotswe is, of course, a very intuitive lady ...

Journal Entry 2 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 29, 2011

Lovely book. What lovely characters with such nice and admirable morals and ethics. If there were more people like this around, the world would be a nicer place.

Journal Entry 3 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 30, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/30/2011 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

RABCK. Enjoy xx

Journal Entry 4 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 05, 2011

Thanks very much for the rabck.

I was hosting a book spiral when it got put on hold at this book by a 'missing' person. I forgot that I had put it on my wishlist. I am now going to see if there is any interest in restating the spiral.

Thanks again.

The missing book

Journal Entry 5 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2011

Books in the spiral:

I have decided to share these books as a book spiral as I consider it a shame that such a delightful series just sits on my shelf unread by others.

1. The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
11. The Double Comfort Safari Club
12. The Saturday Big Tent Party
13. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

They are all paperbacks of the same size: 12.5cm x 19.5cm x 1.5cm, 231g

Journal Entry 6 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2011

I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

This book spiral is in the process of being organised and is open to new members.

1. When you receive the book please make a journal entry to let everyone know that it has arrived safely.

2. Read the book as quick as you can (within 4 weeks if possible). Please put it ahead of any other books, except other bookrings/rays that arrived first. A person who holds up a book may be left out for the remaining books.

3. Please make a journal entry to let everyone know what you thought of the book.

4. When you are nearing the end of the book, pm the next person on the list for their address. Please do not send the book unless he/she has passed on the previous book. Ideally, no one person should be in possession of more than one book at a time.

5. Make a journal entry when you have posted the book to show that it is travelling.

Participants so far: The order may change as new members join.

So far it is looking like this:

27 May 2011: New ring soon to start:
NMReader US (US only)
sunfi US (Itnl)
Jonniboi - UK (UK)
wal-89 UK (UK/EUR)
Appelsiini Finland (Itnl)
lunatum Finland (Itnl)
greenbadger UK (Itnl)

Journal Entry 7 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/3/2011 UTC) at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom

Being posted to NMReader who is joining the spiral with this book.

The next person has to catch up with books 3 and 4 before receiving this one so you have the opportunity to take your time and enjoy the book. It is a bit of a strange ordering but was done to respect peoples postal preferences.

I will have the next book ready to go for when you have finished.

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I received this from my neighbor tonight. I'll try to read it as soon as I finish my present read.

Journal Entry 9 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 11, 2011

I started the book today. So far it is as good as all the previous books in the series.

Quick update for the day: I am over half way through the book and am hoping to finish the book tonight or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Another delightful tale about old friends.

there were definitely a few twits and turns but the ending was good.

Thanks for sharing. I have sunfi's address and hope to mail tomorrow or Thursday

Journal Entry 11 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/14/2011 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I dropped at the PO over lunch today.

The delivery Confirmation number is 0309 1140 0001 4003 3694

Thanks for including me and I hope the other readers enjoy

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

This probably arrived a couple weeks ago and has been safely sitting in the front office of my apt building. I've rescued it and will start it after I finish the two preceding this one in the series.

Update: 17 Oct 11, I tried getting into this one but I've been unsuccessful. I'll contact the next reader for their address so I don't hold up this spiral any longer.

Journal Entry 13 by sunfi at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/20/2011 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

This is on its way to the UK, it should arrive in the next 7 - 10 days. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

WOW, it's been so long since I read the Kalahari Typing School for Men, but I've finally got the next installment, and I can't wait to read it.

Thank you so much for introducing me to this great author!

Journal Entry 15 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

amazing amazing amazing, sorry it took me a while to read it, but once I started it I didn't want it to end. I don't know why these books are so addicting, they really shouldn't be but they have nothing else going for them, they lack some of the really good qualities in other books, but I have no idea why I marvel at these books, and I just cannot wait for the next book in line.

This one was a liottle risky, and towards the end I got annoyed at Mma Holonga, for the most obvious reason at the end of the book. I feel like I'm missing the detectiveness side of things, I loved it in the first few books and trying to work everything out myself, but it feels like we've come more indepth into the lives of the Mma Ramotswe and Mr J.L.B. Matekoni and Mma Makutsi and even Mma Potokwani, and as much as I like it, I just want an active detective narrative to form somewhere, I hope that it appears in the next book (fingers crossed).

Will send off soon (and if not might wait for January so the Christmas rush is out the way (since parcels tend to get lost during that time) hopefully I can do it sooner rather than later).

Journal Entry 16 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, February 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/6/2012 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent this book off, it's now in the post! I'm soo sorry it's taken me so long to send to Wal-89, but it's off on it's way now :)

Journal Entry 17 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2012

This book arrived at the weekend :o) I am currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire so may be a while before I get to this book. I am enjoying the series so far, so hope it continues with this book :) Thanks for sending and including me!

Journal Entry 18 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 26, 2012

Started and finished this book this weekend. I enjoy reading these books as they are such easy reads. I agree with Jonniboi's comments that they are less detective-y and more about the lives of the main characters, which is nice to find out about but would still prefer a bit more of the detective novel part (like in the first few books). I have the next book to read so will send off together. Thanks for including me in the ring, I am enjoying it so far.

Journal Entry 19 by wal-89 at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/9/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted with the other book today, should reach the next participant early next week :) Hope you enjoy.

p.s. So sorry! Didn't realise I had had this book so long!

Journal Entry 20 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This one arrived today with vol. 6! Thanks for sending! :)

Journal Entry 21 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, May 28, 2012

Ah, this was a good read too! I really like that Botswana life style, everything is so simple! We Westerns really should get some life style coaches from Africa! :D Like others, I'm also missed the detective part of the previous books and this time the detective story was a bit lame. Maybe there's something bigger in the next book? But anyway, thanks for sharing this great book! :)

I'm attending into "Erilaiset kulttuurit" reading challenge with this book.

Journal Entry 22 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, June 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/1/2012 UTC) at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

On its way to Northern Finland! :)

Journal Entry 23 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, June 07, 2012

The book arrived today. I have two ring books ahead of this.

Journal Entry 24 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lovely book. Also I missed the detective side of the books.

Thanks for sharing the book with us!

Journal Entry 25 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Friday, June 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/29/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland

I sent this forward to next reader..

Journal Entry 26 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Sent to me as part of a book ring, thank you!

A warm and funny story, with very likeable characters. I always enjoy reading about Mma Ramotswe. In this story she investigates suitors for a wealthy lady looking to marry, but while she looks into the wedding plans of others will she ever get married herself? It seems her fiance Mr J.L.B. Matekoni is too preoccupied worrying about the actions of bad mechanics and about the parachute jump he's been asked to do.

Journal Entry 27 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/30/2012 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Posted back to bookowl1000 in China. Thank you very much for organising this ring!

Journal Entry 28 by bookowl1000 at Foshan, Guangdong China on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The book has arrived back in China..glad that everyone has been enjoying the series.