corner corner Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies
by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction
Registered by loveamystery of Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 14, 2011

status (set by ravencat): available

Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 14, 2011

A Pulitzer Prize winner.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, February 20, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/20/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sent as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Arrived today and I can't wait to read it! Thank-you so much for this RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Thursday, May 26, 2011

A very well written book of fictional short stories about Indian immigrants,their lives,friends, and cultural shock they experience in life. In each chapter the characters brought forth their own Indian customs which I really enjoyed learning about and kept me engaged throughout the whole book. My favorite was the last story 3rd and Final Continent which was a beautiful and moving story. This book is not to be missed and I would recommend it to anyone. Thank-you loveamystery for sharing this book with me.

Update: 31 May 2011- Intl Bookring

1. VictoriaWagtail (Sweden) Intl mail
8. ravencat
Back Home 29 May 2012

Journal Entry 5 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/31/2011 UTC) at Lancaster, New York USA

On its way to VictoriaWagtail in Sweden the first participant of this Intl Bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Thanks Ravencat for sending me this book, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 7 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, August 25, 2011

I really liked this collection of short stories and I'm glad I got the chance to read them. My favourite story of the book was the last one, "The Third and Final Continent". It summes the book upp pretty well. It's mainly about Indians travelling to the US ("the western world" to use a tired old expresion) and in different ways experiencing it as a foreign country and a foreign culture. And I think that is a perspective we who live in the western world need to remind our selves of, instead of taking our way of life as the only and/or best possible.

Journal Entry 8 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/25/2011 UTC) at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden

Sorry everyone for the delay and thanks for being patient. Now the book is moving again and on its way to Germany and Grovalskii. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 9 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, August 29, 2011

just received the book today. will probably read it while on a short vacation next weekend.

Journal Entry 10 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

great book! I really enjoyed the various short stories. can't tell which one is my favorite, I like them all.

I sent the next reader a PM to get their address. Will get the book moving as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 11 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/9/2011 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

The book will travel to the Netherlands tomorrow!

Journal Entry 12 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, September 16, 2011

Arrived today. I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 05, 2011

I have read it. I didn't found it that very special to win the Pulitzer price, but I have enjoyed it and it was a quick read. I didn´t really have a favourite story (To be true, I've already forgotten them.)

Journal Entry 14 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/5/2011 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Sending off to vassilka.

Journal Entry 15 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Received it a while ago along with a book from another bookring.I'm going to be too busy during the following weeks! Thanx dutch-book for sending it!

Journal Entry 16 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Thursday, December 01, 2011

I liked the writer's style. All the stories were about Indians and as I have huge respect for their culture I found them all interesting. The stories I liked the most were "When Mr. Pirzada came to dine", "Mrs. Sen's" and the last one, "The third and final continent". Thank you loveamystery for sharing this book with us!

Journal Entry 17 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Friday, December 02, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/2/2011 UTC) at Larisa, Larisa Greece

The book is off to Kelly93 in Canada. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 23, 2011

Book arrived today. Thanks vassilka for sending it to me and ravencat and loveamystery for sharing it.

Journal Entry 19 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 07, 2012

I finished this book last night. I really enjoyed these short stories. They kept me interested enough that once I started a story I didn't put the book down until I had finished it (even when it kept me up past midnight). My favourite was also the last one, like ravencat, VictoriaWagtail and vassilka. I really liked how the main character takes the time to sit with the 100 year old women whose house he is staying in. He even drives by her house when he is older and reminisces about his time with her and how she helped him to connect with his wife. Maybe, it's a cultural thing but it just seems that respect and appreciation for older people has been lost in the "western world". Once you are over 40 you might as well crawl away into a nursing home so you are no longer a nuisance to the "youth centered" culture. Or maybe it's just me feeling under appreciated by, and missing the company of, my two teenage children. Oh well, I guess I didn't want my mother around when I was a teenager either. LOL

Journal Entry 20 by Kally93 at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Monday, January 16, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/16/2012 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Book sent to biisbsw.

Journal Entry 21 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Monday, January 23, 2012

Just arrived today. Thanks kally93 for sending it and ravencat for including me in the ray! I had a small pile of book ray/ring books accumulate over the holidays and while I was away on vacation so I'm working on getting caught up. As this one doesn't seem to have any other readers signed up right yet I will set my prioritzes accordingly. Maybe someone else will sign up in the meantime. If not it will be on its way back to ravencat as soon as possible. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 22 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Friday, February 24, 2012

I absolutely loved this book. Each story was easy so easy to read and so compelling. I found I really felt for all of the characters plights and wanted to know about their lives. So very happy I had a chance to read this book! Thanks for including me. I have the next reader's address already and hope I can get this out this weekend.

Journal Entry 23 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/25/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Off to the post office to mail this one to the next reader valpete in California. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 24 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, March 02, 2012

Thanks for sending this. It will be a while before I get to it, but I do promise to read it and return it to ravencat when I'm done.

Journal Entry 25 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/21/2012 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I enjoyed this book very much. Thanks for your patience!

Journal Entry 26 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Arrived home today. Many thanks to all who participated in this bookring.