corner corner Spilt Milk

Spilt Milk
by Kopano Matlwa | Literature & Fiction
Registered by klaradyn of Praha, Praha Czech Republic on 1/7/2011

status (set by Nokkosperhonen): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Friday, January 07, 2011

From amazon.co.uk:
Spilt Milk is a story of two passionate people who share a shameful past and a tenuous present. Mohumagadi, headmistress of the elite Sekolo sa Ditlhora school for talented black children, and disgraced preacher Father Bill are brought together again decades after a childhood love affair that expelled them from their communities. Much to the dismay of her students, Mohumagadi takes Father Bill in as a teacher, resulting in a battle of wills and wits for the hearts and minds of the students living in the shadow of revolution and change.

Reserved for the All About Africa VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, January 21, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

On the way to Tarna, who chose it from the All About Africa VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 11, 2011

Thanks, klaradyn! Spilt Milk arrived yesterday and looks yummy. It's cover is as sweet, white, bright and sunny as today. But not as cold. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, July 21, 2011

Loved it. I so like the way Kopano Matlwa writes, it's beautiful.
I was happy to meet all the six main characters. Mohumagadi, Father Bill and the four then-year-old children — Moya, Ndudumo, Mlilo, and Zulwini — in his detention class. I liked them all, and I think I learned something important from every one of them.
The book is great. I didn't think it would or even could be as beautiful as its cover, but it is. it really is. Thank you so much, klaradyn!

PS. The book is reserved.

Journal Entry 5 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (7/23/2011 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Received with warm thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 09, 2015

The story was engaging enough and I enjoyed Matlwa's writing style, but I would've liked to get to know the characters a lot better, particularly Mohumagadi and Father Bill. I was left wanting for something more I guess.

Reserved for sakirmo.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, December 13, 2015

The book is with me now, many thanks!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, January 26, 2016

This was one of those books where nothing much happens most of the time but it's still a joy to read. I didn't expect to enjoy a book about kids in detension class quite this much but this really was a well-written, interesting piece of work. Glad to have made acquaintance with this author and have now added her first book on my wishlist as well :)

(Helmet-lukuhaaste # 27: afrikkalaisen kirjailijan kirjoittama kirja)

Journal Entry 10 by wingsakirmowing at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, February 27, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/27/2016 UTC) at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Taking this to the local meet-up with me

Journal Entry 11 by Nokkosperhonen at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, February 27, 2016

Thank you for the book! I took it at the meet-up because it seemed to be suitable for the Finnish Helmet reading challenge. I also have to admit that I have not read too many books by African writers.