corner corner Catching Fire: The Second Book of The Hunger Games

Catching Fire: The Second Book of The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingMinerva101wing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

status (set by MoomaOma): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingMinerva101wing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Loved this one - my favorite in the whole series. Great characters, great action, great emotions - this series is loaded with good qualities. My teen son loved them all and my teen daughter has just started reading them.

Product Description
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won in defiance of the Capitol and its harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry -- and now it wants revenge. Full of plot twists, this riveting sequel to the New York Times bestseller is guaranteed to keep young readers on the edge of their seats!

Journal Entry 2 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, April 11, 2011

my choice from Minerva101's YA VBB and brought to the meeting for me on saturday!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Another thrilling part of the series - the social commentary was sharper in this book and the action more gut wrenching for having read the first book. Awesome all around!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/29/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passed to crossing guard.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Got this one with the other two books, can't wait to read them. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Wow, what an amazing book! Even better than the first one which I didn't think it could be. I agree with other readers that the social commentary was stronger and I just can't wait to see where the author takes the final book. I'm passing this one onto Fracula as she has the first one in the series. Good thing I have the third one waiting for me. Must resist, I have chores to do...

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 7 by stormarela at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Received at the Joshua Cafe Book Crossing coffee meeting.

Journal Entry 8 by stormarela at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/5/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I love this book and the whole series. Very quickly read, because I could not stop!

Released at Tim Hortons over coffee.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 07, 2012

I decided to pass this book to the next readers in line. Will take it to the April meet-up.

Journal Entry 10 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing at the April Meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 11 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Picked up at the meeting today. Looking forward to it

Journal Entry 12 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 26, 2012

OK - read this in the hospital, in bed, in the chair, or in the hall in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. This was hard to put down. Defintely kept my mind off the pain.

Journal Entry 13 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe to either pass on or leave on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 14 by BlackGryphon at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012

This was passed along to me from the Bookcrossing Calgary meeting on May 12. Just finished reading the Hunger Games, looking forward to getting into this one! Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 15 by BlackGryphon at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

This is the second book of the Hunger Game series. We follow the trials of Katniss and Peeta as they are tested by the Capitol for their rebellious act of surviving the Hunger Games together. I really liked the characters that Collins develops for the other Hunger Game victors, such as Finnick, Beetee and Wiress. There's lots of action and it was difficult to put down.

(Minor side-plot spoiler below...)
As a side note, I'm disappointed that Katniss doesn't develop her own "victor talent". In this story, all who survive the hunger games form their own mini elite class of victors who are taken care of by the Capitol, do PR stunts, and coach future tributes. To pass the time they are expected to take up a hobby of some kind. Peeta takes up painting and puts out some sick artwork. What does Katniss do? She is too distraught with life to play along and instead relies upon her awesome fashion designer, Cinna (who has already saved her life ten times over), to make up some stuff for her to pretend she designed. How lame is that? I get that she's mad at the Capitol and wishes she could go hunting again, but really, this is the time to dig deep and get it together! Honestly, how hard would it have been to take up knitting? But I digress...

Journal Entry 16 by BlackGryphon at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book is headed back to the BC Calgary meet-up to find another reader.

Journal Entry 17 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grabbed at BC get together - so excited!

Journal Entry 18 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 14, 2012

A very well written sequel! The decisions, miscalculations and consequences are somewhat predictable, but the action moves a lot faster than in the first book. I again loved the characterization, though for myself I didn't find any tear jerking moments.

Thanks for the fantastic read!!

Journal Entry 19 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together at the Joshua Tree cafe

Journal Entry 20 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Got this at the July BC meeting. Enjoyed the first book so looking forward to reading so looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 21 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2012

I liked this book even better then the first one and am looking forward to reading Mockingjay so I can find out how it all comes together.

I'm still surprised that I like this series as this is so not what I usually read.

Will be taking this to the next bookcrossing meeting at Joshua Tree Cafe to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Will take to the next book crossing meeting at Joshua Tree Cafe to pass on to the next reader.