corner corner House Rules

House Rules
by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 12/25/2010

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, December 25, 2010

From the Alexandra Rotary booksale.

=+=

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

It's been a while since I've read a completely un-put-downable book. Read this one in two (very late night) sittings, only putting it down the first night because my eyes wouldn't stay open any longer.

An amazing story about a forensics-obsessed teenager with Aspergers who is accused of the murder of his social skills tutor. His mother and his lawyer are fighting to save him, but untangling the truth from the complex literality of an Aspergers mind is no easy task, especially when it might be a truth they don't want to hear.

The "twist" wasn't all that twisty (I'd guessed what it would be from very early on in the story), but that didn't really matter - the quality of the writing more than made up for any lack of surprise. Picoult used a real teenager with Aspergers as one of her advisors on this novel, and it shows - the depiction of what it's like to be an alien in an empathic world is one of the best I've read by a "neurotypical" author.

I think this may well be my favourite Jodi Picoult to date.

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/29/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at this afternoon's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 4 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Picked up at todays lunchtime meetup.

Left on the bookshelf at Arthurs at the Wellington UnConvention, November 2011.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, November 18, 2011

I have actually read this, but I've taken it to release on the walk tomorrow.

Here's what I wrote about it when I read it:

"A workmate lent me this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it frustrated me that we didn't find out if he did it or not until the last possible moment (literally on the second to last page of the book). I think if they ever do a movie of this book that it would be interesting, some of the character traits that Jacob exhibits would translate themselves better to that form of media than writing does at times.

Interesting reading about IEP's from the perspective of the parent, rather than the teacher.

Glad I read it :-)"

Edited to add: I didn't get in quick enough to make release notes before it was picked up! I left it on the bus to the release walk on Saturday because it was just slightly too big to fit in my bag so I could comfortably close it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 20, 2011

I picked this book up on the bus yesterday, and funnily enough it's perfect timing because I'm about to go on holiday in Niue Island for a month, so next Saturday the book will be flying over with me to the South Pacific!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Alofi, Niue Niue on Thursday, January 05, 2012

the book was brought to Niue Island by a family member on 26 November 2011 and to be returned to NZ 7 January 2012...only 2 readers managed to get their hands on it since it's here..

one of Picoult's best yet..