corner corner Don't Sleep, There are Snakes

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes
by Daniel Everett | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 12/13/2010

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010

From the free book table outside the university's English department.

=+=

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Daniel Everett went to the Amazon in 1977 as a missionary, intending to learn the language of the Pirahã tribe in order to translate the Bible for them. But instead the language and its cultural expression absorbed him, and rather than him converting the Pirahã, they (inadvertently) converted him.

I'm not sure that I'm convinced that his discoveries completely discredit Chomsky's Universal Grammar as he claims, nor that the culture-grammar causality necessarily flows in the direction he assumes, but there's certainly a lot to be learnt from Pirahã and its seemingly unique characteristics. I'd like to read more about it, and the logic he has used to reach his conclusions (pity he doesn't include a bibliography).

Still, a really interesting book, if a bit disjointed at times (it veers between memoir, travelogue, and scientific treatise without fully achieving any of them).

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Browser's Cafe, Riccarton Road in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/29/2011 UTC) at Browser's Cafe, Riccarton Road in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

v

P.S. If you live in the Christchurch area, you might like to join us at our monthly bookcrossing meetups. For details, see the BCNZ Yahoo Group