corner corner Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
by Mark R. Levin | Nonfiction
Registered by EllyMae58 of San Diego, California USA on 12/11/2010

status (set by KatLady2-NH): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, December 11, 2010

Although Mark Levin is known as a constitutional lawyer and a nationally syndicated broadcaster, he is, first and foremost, a dog lover. In 1998, he and his family welcomed a half-Border Collie/half-Cocker Spaniel they named Pepsi into their lives. Six years later, his wife and son persuaded him to adopt a dog from the local shelter, a Spaniel mix. It turned out he was older than originally thought, and he was the most beautiful dog they'd ever seen. They named him Sprite. Their lives would never be the same.

Sprite and Pepsi became fast friends. They did everything together, from rummaging through the trash to loudly greeting the deliveryman. And the Levin family fell in love with him - with his gentle nature, beautiful face and soft, huggable fur. But on Halloween night, shortly after joining their family, Sprite suddenly collapsed and was rushed to the animal hospital. It was the first of many such visits, and the start of a long journey for the Levin family, filled with much joy and anguish.

During the next two years, Sprite and Pepsi were inseparable. And Sprite's bond with the Levin family deepened. Friends, neighbors, and even Mark's radio audience came to know and love Sprite. As Mark's daughter turned eighteen and graduated from high school and Mark's son turned fifteen, Sprite's health deteriorated - even as his spirits remained high and his beauty and grace continued to inspire. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2006, the Levin family said their emotional final goodbye. Crushed and consumed with grief, Mark turned to family, friends, and fans for help.

But new hope came when the Levins least expected it.

Rescuing Sprite is a stunningly intimate look at the love between a family and a dog, one that movingly shows, in Mark Levin's words, that "in the end, we humans are the lucky ones."

Journal Entry 2 by EllyMae58 at El Cajon, California USA on Saturday, December 11, 2010

Seemed to be more about his love and subsequent anguish than about the dog. However, it was a quick, light read and I enjoyed reading about Sprite. Obviously, the expected happened and I cried as I always do.

Marley and Me is a much better book, but any dog lover I think would still like this one. I think Sprite was very lucky to have found the Levins, and the Levins were very lucky to have found Sprite.

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 at Panera Bread, 401 Vista Village Dr. (OBCZ) in Vista, California USA on Friday, April 22, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/23/2011 UTC) at Panera Bread, 401 Vista Village Dr. (OBCZ) in Vista, California USA

Releasing to the OBCZ if not selected by a Bookcrosser at meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Sunday, April 24, 2011

Picked this book up today at the meetup. I'm sure it will make me cry too :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, July 08, 2011

What a sweet story! It was so sad also, of course, and made me cry just like my teenage son and I did when we saw the movie "Marley and Me". I'm a sucker for dogs. Sometimes I think that having our sweet dogs in the house has taught my youngest son especially a lot about love and about being able to express his feelings. It's much easier to tell a dog "I love you" than it is to another human sometimes. Thanks EllyMae58 for sharing :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in San Diego, California USA on Friday, July 08, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/8/2011 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in San Diego, California USA

This book is going travelling in the "Already Been Crossed" book box to meet new readers!

Journal Entry 7 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011

This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California, before continuing its travels in the ABC (Already Book Crossed) Bookbox!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 03, 2011

I am taking this out of the ABC Book box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, November 15, 2015

I appreciate that Mark Levin and his family loved their dog Sprite and suffered when the dog became ill and they made the decision to have him put to sleep.
As a book, it becomes somewhat repetitive as Mark tells us many times how much he loves Sprite and how he is suffering both the potential loss and then the actual loss, and how he second-guesses the decisions he made in regards to Sprite's health care and the decision to put the dog to sleep. Mark agonizes, I sympathize. That doesn't make it a great book. It is simplistic in its grammatical construction and short on substance. The substance is Mark Levin has a broken heart. As someone who has suffered a broken heart over the accidental death of one of my children, well I understand a broken heart and that it does not act logically nor respond to the dictates or logic of others. But there are only so many ways to say I am bereaved, and only so long that your heartbreak will hold the attention of the reader. So I sympathized but found my attention drifting as I wondered about his good friend Rush Limbaugh, and I pondered the ethical pros and cons of putting an animal to sleep.
I only caught a couple of Rush Limbaugh's shows back in the 1990's. I remember his slying saying that there was a new dog in the White House and up came a picture of Chelsea Clinton who must have been about 13 at the time. I thought that was so cruel that I never watched another of his shows and I haven't liked him since, although I read another book where a good friend of his talks about how kind and thoughtful Rush Limbaugh was to him in his time of need. I can't remember who that was now. No matter. So I am willing to concede that Rush Limbaugh can be a good friend, despite his cruelty to a young teenage girl on National Television.
i felt the pain and guilt of Mr. Levin in putting Sprite to sleep. How easy we use that euphemism, "put to sleep". i can't judge, but i hope that decision will not be mine to make, ever. I'm pretty sure I would not choose to put to sleep. When I was a young child our cat was nearly cut in half by the fan belt of our car. My dad was going to shoot him but we all screamed so much that my mom rushed him to the vet. Eight hours of surgery and weeks of recovery saved his life. He lived until I was in college when he finally died a natural death from cancer. i just don't know that we have the wisdom to know when life should be ended.
These were some of my thoughts while reading about dear Sprite, his good friend Pepsi, and the Levin family who loves their dogs.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I am listing this book in the non-fic VBB.

Journal Entry 11 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Not selected so will probably be wild released.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, May 05, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/4/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA

Left in the Little Free Library on 37th NE and 55th NE in Seattle.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, May 09, 2016

I went and took this back out of the Little Free Library! as I decided I needed it for the ABC VBB. But I replaced it with 2 books, 1 of them about dogs.
Listing in the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, July 18, 2016

Selected from the ABC VBB by Nancy Nova.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, July 18, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/18/2016 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Mailed to nancynova

Journal Entry 16 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 30, 2016

arrived in Pa, and added to the ABC Mt Toobie. Thanks!

Journal Entry 17 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Silly me. I read this before, although that didn't stop me from reading it again. As the others noted, it's more about the owner's anguish, and less about the dog, but enjoyable anyway.

Making available, likely for the "L" author bookring.

Journal Entry 18 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, June 12, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/12/2017 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

releasing into the "L" bookring

Journal Entry 19 by Dove-i-libri at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, July 01, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (6/30/2017 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Arrived with Iwillrejoice's ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter L (Link).

I won't be choosing this book, so I'm sending it along to the next participant - BookLovin Mama!

USPS Tracking Number - 9114 9014 9645 1300 0140 40

Thank you Iwillrejoice for hosting this bookring.

☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 20 by BookLovinMama at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, July 06, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (7/8/2017 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Authors) Book Rings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I received this as part of iwillrejoice's ABC Author Bookring – L Authors. I won't be keeping this book, so it will travel on to the next participant. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 21 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I picked this out of a bookring box but am going to release it in the wild as I am just not up to reading a book about the loss of a dog since my own is fading daily from heart disease and the sadness would be too much!!

Journal Entry 22 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (7/18/2017 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

will put this book on a table on the porch near the entrance to the bread store

Journal Entry 23 by KatLady2-NH at Kittery, Maine USA on Friday, August 04, 2017

I found it outside Pigs Can Fly Bakery in Maine.
I just finished reading the whole book including the acknowledgements! It was awesome. It made me cry in many places in the book.
I also would recommend - A Dog's Purpose. It was written from a dog's point of view. I loved it. I'm trying to find the sequel - A Dog's Journey. Has anyone seen it?