corner corner An Elegy for Easterly

An Elegy for Easterly
by Petina Gappah | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Vilda of Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on 12/10/2010

status (set by toukokuu): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Vilda from Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Friday, December 10, 2010

A rewiew from internet: Fiction rarely reveals the emotional realities behind the latest news headlines. But Petina Gappah’s An Elegy for Easterly does just that. The collection of 13 stories offers a moving and disturbing portrait of contemporary Zimbabwe. The difficulties of life under President Mugabe – insane inflation, cholera outbreaks, an Aids epidemic – are brought painfully to life. All of Gappah’s characters are caught up in politics – from the compromised widow in “At the Sound of the Last Post”, who has to be bribed to stand next to Mugabe at her husband’s funeral, to the insurance salesman turned trillion-dollar black market trader in “Midnight at the Hotel California”. Gappah’s tone is poignant and tender throughout. There are even flashes of wry humour, such as in “Something Nice from London”, when a young woman returning from the UK presents her struggling family with a tray decorated with English monarchs.

Journal Entry 2 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A wonderfull collection of short stories from Zimbabwe. I will definitely look out for other books by this author!

Journal Entry 3 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Sunday, February 20, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/21/2011 UTC) at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden

Thank you so much for hosting the All about Africa VBB! I am happy to send you this book as I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you do too!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Thanks very much, Vilda!

Eller tack så mycket! Jo, jag pratar nog svenska också :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Beautiful debut collection! As the name suggests, the tone is melancholy, but with glimpses of humour and optimism woven in. Gappah presents an interesting array of characters, too. Recommended reading!

Reserved for Tarna.

Journal Entry 6 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It looks so lovely, sounds interesting, and even the cover is just beautiful. I'm sure I'll love it. And the postcard... The little judge by Yoshimoto Nara looks like a Japanese version of Mafalda by Quino. Love this card too. Thank you so much, Annimanni!

Sept. 25, 2016. I just realized this book has been marked as travelling. It is not, can't be! (I'm not at home, I can't check my shelves right now but still... An Elegy for Easterly has to be in there.
I could, however, find out what kind f merit list the book has. I'm impressed:

2009 Guardian First Book Prize
2009 Art Seidenbaum First Book Award (shortlist)
2009 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award (shortlist)
2010 National Arts Merit Award for Literary Arts/Outstanding First Creative Published Work (Zimbabwe) (shortlist)
2010 Orwell Prize (shortlist)

Petina Gappah at Faber & Faber site
Petina Gappah at Wikipedia
Petina Gappah at The world according to Petina Gappah
An Elegy for Easterly at The world according to Petina Gappah

Journal Entry 7 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, January 30, 2017

If a book has colour, this one is blue. But beautiful. I liked it very much. My favourites are Something Nice From London and Aunt Juliana's Indian but I loved all the other stories, too.
Thank you so much for letting me have this debut collection, Annimanni. Soon the book will go on with its journey.

Journal Entry 8 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (1/31/2017 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

An Elegy for Easterly was one of the books in Palkintokaappi 5 (Trophy cabinet VBB) and it was picked up by Toukokuu. Finally, I've finished the book and mailed it.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 02, 2017

Received the book today. Somehow I clicked to this book journal just after Tarna had made a release note and noticed that it was mailed to me. I probably checked out an interesting book based on its cover and didn't even remember that I chose this one from VPK. Let's see how this works for me. Thank you everyone, Vilda, Annimanni and Tarna for sharing this book.