corner corner Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest to Uncover the Books That Taste Forgot

Journal Entry 1 by KawasakiBabe from Littletown, Liversedge, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 10, 2010

Given to me by a new recruit to book-crossing: Hubby has stolen it and laughed his way through it. Can't wait to read it myself.
This must be the book crossing book of all time!
"Ince has rummaged through charity shops, jumble sales and even the occasional skip in his mission to compile the definitive collection of the world's most extraordinary - and inadvertently hilarious - books. read it and you'll qualify for membership of the Grand Order of Curator of Books that Should Never have Been."

Journal Entry 2 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 12, 2010

"This is so funny . . .it may not appeal to you because you like stories, but you must read it before you give it away!"
Well, that was hubby's opinion - couldn't get any more out of him than that. Suppose I've to read it for myself . . .

Journal Entry 3 by KawasakiBabe at Healey Wood Road in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 07, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/8/2012 UTC) at Healey Wood Road in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

I've been hanging on to this for ages - keep intending to read it, but other TBRs get it the way!
Time to move along . . .
Hope you enjoy it, Plum-crazy: maybe you'll tell me I've missed a treat!

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Well according to the book "Robin Ince smells of libraries & charity shops"....two of my favourite places! So I've gotta give him a read haven't I? lol

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Oh dear...sorry Mr KawasakiBabe this hasn't made me laugh, in fact am giving up on it :o(

Managed the first chapter "Sex (which has the subtitle "or the satisfaction of donkeys & other bucket- requiring acts", enough said. Personally I wouldn't have put this in as the first chapter!) & thought I'd give Chapter two a chance, the subject for this being poetry. Now I'm not a poetry fan but can overlook that but when it started on poems about Elvis Presley the line was drawn (you've guessed it, I'm not a fan of his either!)

Anyhow am abandoning this & will donate to a fund raising book sale....although I am just going to read a page or two from the "New Age" chapter as I want to see him take the mick out of Derek Acorah....

Journal Entry 6 by wingPlum-crazywing at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/27/2013 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released onto the buffet table at the BCUK Unconvention. If it's not picked up by a bookcrosser it will be released into the wild when we undertake our release walk......wherever you found it please let us know it's safe with you :o)

Released as part of the "YOU'RE SUCH AN ANIMAL" Challenge (#25)

Journal Entry 7 by TheGreenMan at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Picked up at the 2013 BCUK Uncon in Leeds.

Looks like it could be entertaining... !

Journal Entry 8 by TheGreenMan at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 22, 2014

An apology - I read this quite a while ago now... but forgot to journal it at the time... and my memory being what it is... :o/

From what I remember, bits of it are far stronger than others - the Autobiography section sticks in the mind particularly - though unfortunately some targets are really lamely dealt with (New Age, in particular, springs to mind - where Ince seems to little more than mock). The best - and most enjoyable - writing is to be found when the author actually demonstrates immense fondness for some particular quality of the books in question... despite their otherwise obvious rubbishness. This is the aspect that most interests me. Anyone can simply mock - its quite boring to do and even more boring to read. What is much more fun is searching for the curiously redeemable in amongst the dross - and enthusiastically sharing your finds. Ince does a reasonable amount of the latter, but nonetheless, still too much of the former - hence the slightly ambivalent rating here.

All in all, then - a really promising idea, but its execution falls well short of all that it could be. Perhaps Ince is simply the wrong man to write this book? Like Nick Hornby / Dave Gorman / other writers of that ilk - they come up with good ideas but then work them through far too unadventurously. As I often think in relation to them, I would like to see someome else run with the concept - someone more cutting edge like, say, I dunno... Will Self or Charlie Brooker perhaps? [/my$0.02]

Passed onto Chuggypig...

Journal Entry 9 by Chuggypig at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 23, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/24/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I.... didn't really like this book. Robin Ince is well funny and all... but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It seemed a bit mean-spirited and humourless. If it was a comedy book I didn't find it very funny, and if it was an informative book I didn't find it very interesting. Sorry.

To be released at the York monthly Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 10 by SavAged at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Caught at the June Meetup.
Ince's somewhat toothless savaging gets old quite quickly. He's nowhere near acid-tongued enough to really rip into Derek Acorah, who definitely deserves more vitriol.

Journal Entry 11 by SavAged at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/21/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at Brigantes.

Journal Entry 12 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Picked up at the York BookCrossing meetup. Aw, it looked pretty good, but nobody seems to like it...

Journal Entry 13 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 26, 2014

I can sort of see what everyone means about this book - it often crosses the very thin line between wit and snark, especially in the chapters about New Age and Self Help books (having said that, the description of the book of standard letters for any occasion is very funny). Some of the targets are really too easy as well - a book called The Secrets of Picking Up Sexy Girls doesn't really need to be mocked, since it mocks itself merely by existing, and who's going to read it now anyway?
It might reflect the nature of the sorts of books Ince has been picking up, but how many times does rape really have to be mentioned in a supposedly light-hearted comedy book?
I am also a bit baffled as to why Nancy Friday's Secret Garden, an acknowledged landmark in the study of human sexuality, was included, unless it was just an excuse to have an extended giggle at the donkey sex fantasy.
The only thing that saved this book from a lower rating was the fact that it did make me laugh quite a lot in the romance and horror chapters, as I've read some examples of these genres before and recognised the stock characters and plotlines all too well.

Journal Entry 14 by LouiseB79 at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/28/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at the York BookCrossing meetup

Journal Entry 15 by TheGreenMan at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Since this has been kicking around for a while now, in order to free up some space on the Brigantes OBCZ Bookshelf, I thought I'd move it on to the Ye Olde Starre Inne OBCZ Bookshelf - where hopefully it'll find some new readers...

Journal Entry 16 by TheGreenMan at Ye Olde Starre Inne OBCZ Bookshelf in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (12/22/2014 UTC) at Ye Olde Starre Inne OBCZ Bookshelf in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

releasing, as promised...

Journal Entry 17 by DSP at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 19, 2015

Picked up at the Olde Starre Inne today.

Journal Entry 18 by DSP at Trinity Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (3/28/2017 UTC) at Trinity Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

An interesting concept but rather dull I thought.