corner corner The Tudor Secret (The Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles)

The Tudor Secret (The Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles)
by C. W. Gortner | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

status (set by bluezwuzl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Saturday, January 08, 2011

Rec'd via Amazon.com's Vine Program.
PAPERBACK ARC.

Product Description

The era of the Tudors was one of danger, intrigue, conspiracy, and, above all, spies.

Summer 1553: A time of danger and deceit. Brendan Prescott, an orphan, is reared in the household of the powerful Dudley family. Brought to court, Prescott finds himself sent on an illicit mission to the king’s brilliant but enigmatic sister, Princess Elizabeth. But Brendan is soon compelled to work as a double agent by Elizabeth’s protector, William Cecil, who promises in exchange to help him unravel the secret of his own mysterious past.

A dark plot swirls around Elizabeth’s quest to unravel the truth about the ominous disappearance of her seriously ill brother, King Edward VI. With only a bold stable boy and an audacious lady-in-waiting at his side, Brendan plunges into a ruthless gambit of half-truths, lies, and murder. Filled with the intrigue and pageantry of Tudor England, The Tudor Secret is the first book in The Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles.
About the Author

C. W. Gortner is the author of the acclaimed historical novels The Last Queen and The Confessions of Catherine de Medici. He holds an MFA in writing with an emphasis on Renaissance studies from the New College of California. In his extensive travels to research his books, he has danced a galliard in a Tudor great hall and experienced life in a Spanish castle. He is also a dedicated advocate for animal rights and environmental issues. Half Spanish by birth, he lives in Northern California. Readers can visit him online at www.cwgortner.com.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Started reading on Monday.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Finished day before yesterday.

Brendan Prescott, a foundling raised in the Duke of Northumberland’s household, has just been sent to London to join the service of Robert Dudley. Bullied by the Dudley sons as a child, Brendan doesn’t relish the appointment, but he cannot turn his back on the family that raised him. Almost immediately upon his arrival, Brendan is swept up in intrigue when Robert Dudley sends him to carry a ring to the Lady Elizabeth Tudor. He catches the eye of William Cecil, Elizabeth’s trusted protector, and he approaches Brendan with a tantalizing offer. If he will spy for Cecil, Cecil will use his intelligence network to unravel the mystery of Brendan’s parentage. As if the flirtation between Elizabeth and Robert isn’t risky enough, the situation at court has become increasingly tumultuous. The King of England is deathly ill, and his succession is uncertain. As Edward VI lies dying – only fifteen years old – three women are raised as potential heirs: Mary, Henry VIII’s eldest daughter; Elizabeth, who follows her father’s Protestant faith, and Jane Grey, a Tudor cousin with the backing of several powerful families. Brendan is constantly thrust into life-or-death situations as the battle for the crown threatens to tear the country apart.

Most of the novels I’ve read set in this time period have been written from a woman’s perspective. This is understandable. Three strong claims for the throne – and all women! It’s certainly an unusual situation in English history. But I’m glad C. W. Gortner went with a male lead, since guys could find many opportunities for trouble unavailable to women.

Brendan is a likeable hero, so reading about him was delightful. He’s intelligent and observant, but naïve and pretty inept at navigating the etiquette and machinations of court. He’s constantly being bailed out of trouble by a plucky stable boy named Peregrin, who latches onto Brendan early on. Brendan is also mad about one of Elizabeth’s ladies, a fellow spy called Kate. Their romance seems sudden and out of place – they go from despising each other to passionate love in a few pages – but I suppose that’s how love goes, sometimes.

Exciting and action-packed, The Tudor Secret is a spy novel rich in detail. There are tons of twists and turns in the plot (many of which are predictable if you’re familiar with history of the time period) that kept me turning the pages, eager to see what happened next. It’s a great, entertaining book for fans of historical fiction.

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, February 27, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/27/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Medieval & Renaissance Bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012

Picked from the Medieval/Renaissance bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by ravencat at Hendersonville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, January 27, 2013

This was a great historical fiction book about young Brendan Prescott an orphan who was raised in the Dudley household and then brought to court which sends him into a world of danger and plots that unravel into the secret of his true identity. This book was a page turner and kept my interest from start to finish. Being a big fan of anything Tudor, I usually read Philippa Gregory and when I chose this book from the Medieval/Renaissance Bookbox I figured it was time to try a different author and am very glad I did so.

Journal Entry 7 by ravencat at Hendersonville, Tennessee USA on Monday, March 11, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/11/2013 UTC) at Hendersonville, Tennessee USA

March 11, 2013 Now traveling bookray. Here is the list so far:

1. Icila/France/Intl ship

2. Froggie66/Canada/Int ship

3.penelopewanders/Switz/EU ship

4. dutch-book/Netherlands/EU ship

5. Originalmullli/UK/Intl ship

6. Bluezwuzl/Germany/Eu ship

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Arrived yesterday along with The Daughter of Time. Thanks a lot !

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, April 14, 2013

A man's perspective. I wasn't aware of the author's sex when I began but it jumped on my mind when reading.
I'm fond of Philippa Gregory but this author gives a stride to the story .
Thanks for introducing me to him.
Sure I'm looking forward to reading his other books.

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/23/2013 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Canada.

Journal Entry 11 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 06, 2013

Received a couple days ago before the weekend and was super busy this weekend so only getting time to log it in now. On the top of my tbr pile.

Journal Entry 12 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 16, 2013

I really liked this book. This must be a popular story in history that all the historians like. I read this really fast. I will wait to mail this to PenelopeWanders with the other book as soon as Frogladyreader1 is finished. :) Thanks for sending this one to me.

Journal Entry 13 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/15/2013 UTC) at Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Mailed off to penelopewanders a while ago by sea. Could take up to 6 weeks to get there.

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, August 10, 2013

This has arrived just as I'm about to go off on the second part of my holiday- lots of rings and rays came in while I was away - we'll see if I can squeeze this into my bag or not. Thanks so much for sending!

Journal Entry 15 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Oh dear, I see this has been with me longer than I thought!
Surprisingly fast-paced for a novel set in Elizabethan times, this was an enjoyable read.
I see it's the first in a series... I wonder if the others will also be available as rings (spiral). It would have been interesting to read how Elizabeth would react to Brendan's true identity. Likewise I wonder if his father's identity will be confirmed in the next in the series. Glad to have had the opportunity to join the ring.
I've PMed the next in line and hopefully will get the next address soon so I can send it on. Thanks for making it available, and sorry it's been with me so long.

Journal Entry 16 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (10/3/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Now making its way from the Alps up to the Lowlands. Thank you so much for making this available - sorry again for keeping it so long.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (10/3/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, October 07, 2013

Arrived here today! Looks good!

Journal Entry 19 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

By request of ravencat a quick journal entry to let you all know that the book is still here and currently being read. Sorry for holding up the book. I will have sent this on by the end of January at it's latest.

February 3d: Originalmulli has been PM'ed.

Journal Entry 20 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

I have finally finished it, which went pretty quick, although you wouldn´t say. I liked it. It was entertaining. I wouldn´t actively search out other books by this writer, but I wouldn´t say no either. The book is packaged and ready to go.

Journal Entry 21 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Released 8 mos ago (2/22/2014 UTC) at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Off to the next participant.

Journal Entry 22 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2014

Received safely, thank you. Looking forward to reading this alongside the other three Tudor books I have going simultaneously - Philippa Gregory, Hilary Mantel and Alison Weir! Great to add a new author, as I think historical fiction is one valid approach to history as long as you read a variety of authors so you get several scholarly angles. :)

Journal Entry 23 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I quite enjoyed this, although I prefer historical fiction that is an interpretation of historical events, rather than completely made-up events! Brendan read like a child to me, it was hard to remember that he was meant to be at least 20 years old. He seems to go from completely naive and inexperienced to fully understanding the intrigues and complexities of multiple noble families in the space of a few days which seemed unlikely. But a likeable character nonetheless.

Did anyone else notice that this copy is "advance uncorrected proofs"?!! How did we come to have that?!

Off to Bluezwuzl in Germany today.

Journal Entry 24 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Monday, April 07, 2014

Sorry, forgot to register its arrival...
An entertaining read for a rainy holiday. Although, as historic novels go, you would expect a little bit more awareness for detail... And then - I wouldn't expect conversations (and relations) between people of such divers rank run as smoothly as in this story.
Hm, I noticed that inscription, too. Is it an invitation or a command, I wonder...
Nevertheless - thanks for sharing the book!
Waiting now for the next reader...