corner corner The Lovers

The Lovers
by John Connolly | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingyorkshire-lasswing of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 12/3/2010

status (set by KawasakiBabe): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingyorkshire-lasswing from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, December 03, 2010

Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, when you have finished it please make a journal entry so that I know what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and completely private your e-mail address is never given out) please say yorkshire-lass sent you. Happy BookCrossing!

Amazon.co.uk Review
In The Lovers, John Connolly’s latest, highly individual entry in his distinguished Charlie Parker series, his doughty private eye’s life is in a downward spiral. The authorities don’t trust him, and he has been deprived of his investigator's license (including his right to bear arms). He’s holding down an undemanding job in a Portland bar. But Charlie is not the kind to stay in the shadows for long: he is about to undertake the most challenging (and potentially destructive) assignment of his life: he has decided to uncover the facts behind his policeman father’s death and – even more importantly -- the killing of a young couple that his father was responsible for. Immersing himself once again in the painful circumstances of his own childhood, he comes across a mystery: an unidentified young man and woman who appear to have been present at many death scenes; and – even harder to accept – they have been seen right back to the days of the suicide of Charlie’s father. This mysterious duo are shadowing Charlie -- will he find out the motivation behind his father’s terrible act before he, too, violently dies?

Dublin-born John Connolly is as celebrated in the US as he is in Britain for his perfect assimilation of American idioms in the remarkable series of crime novels featuring Charlie Parker, but it goes without saying that bestselling success requires something more than nailing a US tone of voice. That such as Connolly winners as Every Dead Thing,The Reapers and now, The Lovers, work as well as they do is also down to the fact that he is able to import a striking and stylish use of language into his violent narratives. And there is another element to his work – an audacious move beyond the parameters of normality. The Lovers, like other Connolly books, transports the novels’ battles between good and evil into an almost metaphysical realm. This is always the most controversial component of his books, and inevitably, it’s not to everyone’s taste. But those who love John Connolly know such things are part of the warp and woof of his work, and they move him into a territory that is very much his own. --Barry Forshaw

I think this book has a different feel to the other Charlie Parker novels,more restrained and reflective, but still a dam good read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, December 03, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (12/4/2010 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

On its way as a little Christmas surprise for my friend Plum-crazy, who like me is a big John Connolly fan.
Happy Christmas P-c!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!! This surprise has made my day....& the choccy will go down very well too :o)

I know I won't be able to resist this for long & I have "The Whisperers" lined up ready to read after it....& that's got your name on it!

Have a wonderful Christmas yorkshire-lass & thanks again.

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 27, 2010

As yorkshire-lass says this book does have a slightly different feel to it than the rest of the Charlie Parker series. While Louis, Angel, & indeed the Fulci Brothers (they always make me smile!), get a passing mention, this book is lacking those little touches of black humour I so enjoy. That said this is still a really good read & for those of us that have followed Charlie Parker over the years it does help to start filling in some of questions about his past & begins to explain how he's become the person he is today - though I'm sure there's an awful lot more yet to be learnt!

I have "The Whisperers" waiting to be read but sadly it's up in Scotland & I probably won't get my hot little mitts on it now 'til March but as soon as I've read it, it'll be on it's way to Maidstone :o)

Read as part of the 2010 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Waring Green Launderette. in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 02, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/2/2012 UTC) at Waring Green Launderette. in Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Given to KawasakiBabe for her launderette OBCZ :o)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Congratulations - You've found a free book !

Enjoy your book!

Journal Entry 6 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 02, 2012

This is destined for the book-laundering shelf: may read it first!
Thanks, Plum-crazy x

Journal Entry 7 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Phew! Just finished it. Eternal lovers Anmael and Semjaza, descendants of the 10th angel, the bad one, and their leader Mister Goodkind, are hunting for Charlie Parker, and I found myself constantly asking WHY him specifically after all these years?
Like Plum-crazy says, there must be more to come to explain things properly.
I haven't read any others by this author: I suppose if I find a follow-up to The Lovers, I'll read it, but I won't be playing "catch-up" with the ones I've missed!
On its way to the launderette at some point - thanks Plumster!

Journal Entry 8 by KawasakiBabe at Todmorden Train Station OBCZ in Todmorden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/29/2012 UTC) at Todmorden Train Station OBCZ in Todmorden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Thank you for taking the time to visit us at book-crossing. You may remain anonymous or you may wish to join; it's free, and spam free, and you are only known by your chosen nick name.
Whatever your decision, please let us know here where you picked up the book, what you think of it, and what you decide to do with it, so previous and future readers can follow its progress around the world.
Happy reading.