corner corner Ours are the Streets

Ours are the Streets
by Sunjeev Sahota | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingVekikiwing of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 21, 2010

status (set by makke): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 21, 2010

put on the shelf at work - thank you for your contribution to our community library

Journal Entry 2 by wingVekikiwing at New London Theatre, Drury Lane in Covent Garden, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 21, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/22/2010 UTC) at New London Theatre, Drury Lane in Covent Garden, Greater London United Kingdom

leaving it where i found it - on our community library shelf, for everyone to enjoy

Journal Entry 3 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/29/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This was still on our bookshelves, and I spotted it on a certain birthday girl's wishlist... so I couldn't resist the urge to move it along to more welcoming homes
Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thank you so much! This book was on my wishlist for just about two weeks!
Looking forward to reading it....

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, February 18, 2012

An interesting novel about a suicide bomber, written in the form of a letter to his family. It’s a great idea for a novel, but sometimes I felt it could have been done better - there was something lacking in the style. Some parts I found too detailed, with too much focus on less important things. It was very interesting to follow the protagonist’s mental decline, his developing paranoia. But then: Isn’t it a bit easy to “explain” it by mental disorder? I didn’t find the “turn” convincing, emotions were not strong enough, there was only minimal religious motivation, and, most importantly, no moment of “revelation”. I realised I would have found it more convincing if there had been some key element that pushed him, but he’s just drifting into it all. But then - maybe that was the point??? The open ending was a bit of a let-down for me too. Still, it’s a thought-provoking novel that offers some interesting insights and that explores the topics of alienation and belonging, of identity.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to gunmarga!

Journal Entry 7 by winggunmargawing at ---- by post or by hand ----, Skåne Sweden on Monday, March 12, 2012

Thank you so much ApoloniaX! The book was in my mailbox this evening.
I'm looking forward to reading it.

Backside: Imtiaz Raina, born in Sheffield, young father, young husband, son of loving parents, has decided to die. He has convinced himself that he believes in his cause, He wants his family to understand.
Raw, tender, furious, vulnerable, selfish, desperate, proud: this is his story.
It's a story about a longing for acceptance that becomes so extreme he will stop at nothing. It's a story about grief, about belonging, about being lost. It's the story behind the news story. A story for our times.

Edit: My opinion: The book was interesting but it made me depressed because this is happening today. Young men think they do a good thing by blowing up themselves to death where there are many people, to kill as many people as possible.

Journal Entry 8 by winggunmargawing at winner, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/29/2012 UTC) at winner, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Now the book will travel again together with a mp3-book and some different things to drink. The parcel goes to a winner in the scandinavian forum 2012 Håll böckerna i rörelse Trevlig läsning

Journal Entry 9 by mermia at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, July 30, 2012

A beautiful packet containing this book and an MP3 book arrived in my mailbox this morning. In the afternoon I'm leaving for some weeks on the Swedish west coast and it couldn't be a better timing to get a new book to join me on the trip.

Thanks Gunmarga for the kind gift, the nice cards and all the various tea that could be found in the packet!

Journal Entry 10 by mermia at Espressohouse Vasagatan15 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Released 1 mo ago (9/21/2014 UTC) at Espressohouse Vasagatan15 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

Happy Reading!

The book is located in the bookcrossing shelf next to the staircase!

Journal Entry 11 by makke at Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, October 02, 2014

This was still in Espresso House so I took it with me for it to be read during a train journey to Western Germany. We'll see whether I manage. :)

Journal Entry 12 by makke at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, October 27, 2014

This wasn't so my cup of tea. Actually the theme was very interesting but it took me 200 pages to really get going. Before that I had difficulties in following who was who and where the happenings took place, after that the story got some energy. I was also somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning with the variant of English used as I wasn't used to such language but that didn't last too long. But speaking of language I would have wanted the expressions/words used in Panjabi to be translated, of course they bring the Pakistanian world closer but there was no use for me because I couldn't understand them.

I liked the end.