corner corner Passage

Passage
by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 14, 2010

status (set by 6of8): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 12, 2011

I read this book several years ago, and loved it. Connie Willis stretches the bounds of what you believe, but she makes it believable. Hope the next reader enjoys this book as much as I did!
I recently found this copy at the Book Thing.

From the cover -
Dr. Joanna Lander is a psychologist specializing in near-death experiences. She is about to get help from a new doctor with the power to give her the chance to get as close to death as anyone can. A brilliant young neurologist, Dr. Richard Wright has come up with a way to manufacture the near-death esperience using a psychoactive drug. Joanna's first NDE is as fascinating as she imagined - so astounding that she knows she must go back, if only to find out why that place is so hauntingly familiar. But each time Joanna goes under, her sense of dread begins to grow, because part of her already knows why the experience is so familiar, and why she has every reason to be afraid. Yet just when Joanna thinks she understands, she's in for the biggest surprise of all - a shattering scenario that will keep you feverishly reading until the final climactic page.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 09, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/9/2011 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

This will be offered on our book buffet at our meet this afternoon at Birdie's. If no one picks it up, it'll be left on the bookshelf in the back room. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Since there's already a hb copy of this on the bookshelf, I brought it home after our meet. This'll find a new reader sometime :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (9/17/2011 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

This will be left on the bookshelf in the back room. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Picked this up at yesterday's meetup at Birdie's in Westminster, MD. I recently read Doomsday Book by Willis and absolutely loved it, so I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Dr. Joanna Lander is studying near-death experiences, or NDEs. Dr. Richard Wright has discovered a way to chemically replicate what the brain goes through chemically during an NDE. Richard asks Joanna to confirm that what his volunteers are experiencing are indeed NDEs, but when funding and volunteers become scarce, Joanna goes under herself. I found this book extremely difficult to take, but in a good way: it's extremely suspenseful and the characters are likeable and sometimes infuriatingly realistic. At first I wondered if this lengthy novel could have been shortened, but the various stories and details shared become important eventually, and add even more to the realism. Though at times emotionally harrowing, this was one seriously excellent story. A little dark in places - it is largely about death, after all - but it never loses all hope. And now I need to go pick up everything else Willis has ever written.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand - rings, RABCK, meetings, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Melydia and I arrived first at the mini-meet-up at Soho Tea and Coffee. She unloaded all of the books she had brought and specifically recommended this one. Since I recently read and really enjoyed To Say Nothing of the Dog, I was quite willing to give this one a try. On top of Mt. TBR it goes!