corner corner The Songlines

The Songlines
by Bruce Chatwin | Travel
Registered by Dunzy of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, November 04, 2010

status (set by maryzee): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Dunzy from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, November 04, 2010

For me and for years, this remarkable work -- part Oz-located travels
and part mythomancy -- has been one of the Samarkands of 20th-century English literature. It was worth the wait.

Journal Entry 2 by Dunzy at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, January 30, 2011

Well, THAT was a bit of all right, all right!! It has been vastly enjoyed in short travel-takes, as a walkabout book.

Journal Entry 3 by Dunzy at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 18, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/18/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Mailed as RABCK to fellow-BXer. I'll be amazed and disenchanted if she takes it casually.

Journal Entry 4 by florafloraflora at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 26, 2011

Got this in the mail, from Vancouver. Thank you, Dunzy!

Journal Entry 5 by florafloraflora at Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bruce Chatwin wrote so beautifully, he could make me read anything. So it was a bonus that I learned a lot from reading this. It's interesting that he mixed in the notes he'd made for a book on nomads. He might have known by then that he was dying, and wanted to preserve that work somehow, and then a lot of it ties in nicely with the more overt subject of the book. I have real doubts about the stuff on ethology and human evolution he discusses here, but I doubt my engagement with that subject will go beyond the superficial.

Thanks again, Dunzy!

Journal Entry 6 by florafloraflora at Chick-Fil-A in Leesburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/16/2012 UTC) at Chick-Fil-A in Leesburg, Virginia USA

At today's meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thanks so much for bringing this to the meet, Florax3. It was nice to see you again; it's been too long! I've wanted to read this for a while, one of those books that was on my periphery (but not in the forefront of my book searches). I first heard of the dreamtime years ago when I read Barbara Woods' The Dreaming (one of those books I remember as enjoying, but don't remember anything specific - of course, it's probably been about 15 years). I've also heard good things about Bruce Chatwin on BC, and travelogues and memoirs are two of my favorite genres, so I'm looking forward to reading this.