corner corner Saint Maybe

Saint Maybe
by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 10/25/2010

status (set by Nakipa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 25, 2010

From the back:

"In 1965, the happy Bedloe family is living an ideal, apple-pie existence in Baltimore. Then, in the blink of an eye, a single, tragic event occurs that will transform their lives forever - particularly that of seventeen-year-old Ian Bedloe, the youngest son, who blames himself for the sudden 'accidental' death of his older brother.

Depressed and depleted, Ian is almost crushed under the weight of an unbearable, secret guilt. The one crisp January evening, he catches sight of a window with glowing yellow neon, the CHURCH OF THE SECOND CHANCE. He enters and soon discovers that forgiveness must be earned, through a bit of sacrifice and a lot of love..."

***

From the book recycling shelf in Kamppi, Helsinki.

N.B. My copy has a different cover.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 13, 2014

Perhaps not my favourite among Anne Tyler's novels, but still very enjoyable indeed. There's just something about her style that appeals to me greatly. I love the realness of her characters and the detailed, but not stuffy, writing.

Journal Entry 3 by LolaRobin at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Thank you for this wishlistbook! :) Can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by LolaRobin at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, May 31, 2015

This was a enjoyable book. I liked "Dinner at the homesick restaurant" more, but it does not make this one bad.

There's something in these books what makes me feel sad. Maybe it's because they tell stories of totally normal people, normal families. There's nothing, how would I put it? Extraordinary happening in their lives. And still the books are interesting to read.

I guess this book made me sad because I felt that Ian threw his life away because of Second Change. It felt so real. He thought he had a reason to live, but didn't realize his life was passing by him. I have nothing against churches or religions, but when you need someone to tell you how to live your life.. It makes me sad and pitiful. I know, I know, it shouldn't but I can't help myself.

Anyhow, I liked this, and I sure want to read more from Tyler.

*This book is reserved for the Tasteletters 2015*

Journal Entry 5 by LolaRobin at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/4/2015 UTC) at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This is the book you chose from the Tasteletter! Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by Nakipa at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, September 16, 2015

And this book has arrived. Thank you!