corner corner Sunshine

Sunshine
by Robin McKinley | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2010

status (set by roommush): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2010

Unfortunately, she wasn''t alone. She never heard them coming. Of course you don''t, when they''re vampires.

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I'm sending this out as a bookray.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1. carelaisa - Canada (NA)
2. ksloan23 - US (NA)
3. Aramena - US (US)
4. Guinneth - US (US)
5. imawinn2 - US (Intl)
6. silvia-pco - Portugal (Europe)
7. Tsjara - Netherlands (Europe)
8. kirstykat - UK (Europe)
9. katrinat - UK (Intl)
10. Spartaca - UK (Intl)
11. ArabellaFigg - UK (Intl) - no response - skipped
12. raeliz64 - UK (Intl)
13. lady-anglophile - Kuwait (Intl)
14.

This book will begin its journey on November 19th. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 3 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

got it yesterday! looks like a nice read.

I will get to it soon - have another book to read ahead of this one - and then will send it to the next bcer on the list.

thanks lauraloo29 for sending it my way!

Journal Entry 4 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An interesting read...

It’s a good story of vampires and supernatural beings, there’s a twist different from I’m used to see so far in vampires’ stories. The narration is okay, not too hard to follow and we get to discover Sunshine through out the book. A nice discovery of this year even if the book has already been out for a few years.

Now, it's on its way to ksloan23 as of today, dec 13th. Hopefully, it will make it just before Christmas but I cannot guarantee it...

Journal Entry 5 by ksloan23 at Manhattan, Kansas USA on Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I haven't read this copy...but I have read this book before! I really like it and I wanted to use this as my first time participating in a bookray! I am in the middle of novel at the moment and will start this one right after that. I hope to get it read while I am on Christmas break from work and school.

Journal Entry 6 by ksloan23 at Manhattan, Kansas USA on Monday, January 10, 2011

This was as good as I remembered from the first time I read a few years ago. I'm glad I got to participate in this book ray. I am sending it off to Aramena today.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Arrived today. I'm in the middle of a Silhouette romance right now so I'll finish that either today or tomorrow and then I can get right to this.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I finished this last night and I really like it. It was very different than the vampire stuff I usually read, but I'll admit right now that I haven't really read as much as I thought I had, once I started thinking about it. I've read the Anita Blake series up to about the 8th or 9th book, and I'm currently reading the Argeneau series, which of course is vampire romance. Two different takes on vamp culture, and then here's Sunshine with an even different take.

The book was very busy, in that there is so much detail tossed in about supernatural stuff, the partbloods and the charms, etc., sometimes I felt a little like I'd come into a story where I missed the background. But it wasn't anything complicated, where you can't comprehend the story because you're confused. It was more conversationally, as Sunshine narrates her story she throws in these little asides.

I definitely want to read more of this author.

I PMd Guinneth a few days ago or her address but haven't heard back from her yet, so I'll PM her again now.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, January 28, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/28/2011 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

In the mail to Guinneth today.

Journal Entry 10 by Guinneth at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Sunshine has arrived - thanks, Aramena! :-)
I've already started it.

Journal Entry 11 by Guinneth at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 12, 2011

I *loved* this book! Robin McKinley has a real gift for fully realized worlds and characters, and Sunshine is no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed this absorbing story. Thanks so much for sharing it, lauraloo, and another GIANT thank-you to Aramena for persistance. :) I'm very glad I got to read this.

I PM'd imawinn a couple of days ago and am still awaiting an address.

Journal Entry 12 by Guinneth at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oops - forgot to indicate that I mailed this out on 2/14! The del. conf.# is 0310 1230 0000 4347 0778.

Thanks again for sharing this, lauraloo; I really loved it.

Journal Entry 13 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Friday, February 18, 2011

Book has arrived. I seem to be getting hit with a lot of rings/rays lately. I have one big book ahead of this one. But I will try and get this read in a fairly timely fashion. Thanks for including me. I'm really looking forward to reading this story.

Update: 3/16/11 - Started Reading

Journal Entry 14 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, March 28, 2011

Finished reading Sunshine while vacationing in sunny Florida. I was glad that I had lots of uninterrupted reading time for this book. I liked this slightly different vampire story. I enjoyed McKinley's imagination and the characters that she created. Although, I had troubles, sometimes, following some of the narration as it seemed a little jumpy, but nothing I couldn't figure out. When I reached the end, I was hoping that we would see a continuation of Sunshine and Con's adventures. But I'm sure that Sunshine would just be happy to live quietly the rest of her life simply making cinnamon rolls and other bakery delectables. ;- ) Thanks for sharing. I've already contacted the next participant and hopefully, once I get her address, I will get this off on its journey this week.

Journal Entry 15 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/30/2011 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Sending this off to silvia-pco. Enjoy the book! Also, I made a little something for you and put it inside the cover. Hope you like. ;- )

Journal Entry 16 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, April 04, 2011

Ooooh, thank you so much imawinn2! I loved, loved, loved the bookmark. So clever, using stamps. I would have never thought about using them in that way. It'll be bookmark of choice for when I read smaller books from now on :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Got here safely today. Thanks for sending the book Silvia-pco! (the bookmark is lovely! and thanks for the stickers as well ^_^). I have only read one other book by Robin McKinley before (Beauty?).. but this sounds quite different. Look forward to reading it (though I do have a couple books in front, will get to it as soon as I can). Thanks for sharing the book Lauraloo29!

Journal Entry 18 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, September 02, 2011

A little update: I'm currently reading this, not very far yet.. but enjoying it already. Hope to finish this in a week or so (hope that's okay?).

Edit 10 Sept.2011:
Loved it! It's been a while since I've read a good adventure story that I can't put down but don't want to end either. The characters are great, and I liked the bits with Sunshine and Con most. There was quite a lot of detail, and only after a little while did I find out that this was set a somewhat different world (the author/narrator did tend to ramble a bit..). The only thing was that there was quite a lot left unresolved, so I hope that there will be a sequel someday. Hmm.. and I'll need to find a copy for my PC :p

Kirstykat asked to be skipped because she has a lot to read at the moment, and Katrinat has another copy of the book.. so I PMed Spartaca for her/his address, will send it on as soon as I can.
Update 24 Sept.: I've finally received Spartaca's address, and will put the book in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (9/26/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On its way to Spartaca (with the beautiful bookmark :))
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 20 by Spartaca at Oldham, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 05, 2011

An intriguing story. I liked it. I won't give a review because it would be too easy to give away bits of the plot, but it's a good read. The only thing not so good about it was that the pace of the story never varies, so I found myself skipping odd bits to move on faster in the story.
I have pm'd ArabellaFigg as she is next on the list.

Journal Entry 21 by Spartaca at Oldham, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

nNo reply from ArabelleFigg ater three tries, so I have PM'd the person after her, Realiz64, for an address.

Journal Entry 22 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sadly, I'm declaring this bookray lost. I have pm'd Spartaca numerous times and have not received a response. :(

Hopefully this book will resume its journey at some point.

Journal Entry 23 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Received today - thanks very much.

Journal Entry 24 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 06, 2012

Hmmm...this was a strange one! I did enjoy it, I really liked Sunshine and Con and would have liked to know more about Mel, but there was quite a lot of book where very little happened - probably a bit too much information about cinnamon rolls and other minutiae.

Journal Entry 25 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Lady-anglophile (who is now called norafrvr) has already read the book so I'll see if anyone else would like to read it.

Journal Entry 26 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/12/2012 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

On it's way to xlacrimax - I hope you enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 27 by roommush at Panevėžys, Panevėžio Lithuania on Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm happy the book reached me, thank you :)