corner corner Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt

Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt
by Brad Geagley | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingFraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2010

status (set by Crossing-Guard): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingFraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2010

From Booklist
A woman is murdered. The authorities hire a down-and-out investigator, a boozer who is still hung up on his ex-wife, to solve the case. Except that they don't expect him to solve it; in fact, they want him to fail. But our hero is a lot smarter than his employers suspect, and he uncovers a conspiracy that reaches to the highest levels of government. Sound like a fairly typical private-eye yarn? Well, it isn't. Because the dead woman is a priestess; the authorities are the feuding mayors of Thebes; the down-and-out investigator is Semerket, former clerk of Investigations and Secrets; and the whole sordid story takes place in Egypt, circa 1153 B.C.E. Some mysteries set in ancient Egypt are pedantic, fact-intensive tomes. This one, a first novel, avoids that trap. It's a solid, fast-paced mystery that's never overwhelmed by the author's research. Geagley is a multifaceted fellow--video-game designer, virtual-reality theme-park consultant, Jeopardy champ, film historian (he's an authority on the 1963 film Cleopatra)--and now, novelist. Let's hope he sticks with it for a while.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 27, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/11/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I picked up this book for the December Calgary BookCrossing meet-up at the Joshua Tree Café. The theme this month is Historical Fiction. Normally I don't read this genre, but I totally loved this book!

The author's editor kept telling him "less history, more mystery" and the result was a great page-turner set in 1153 B.C. Two thumbs up!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 11, 2010

I grabbed (politely, I hope) this book as I enjoy Ancient Egypt novels. Thanks Fracula.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 30, 2010

A fast-paced murder mystery with Semerket, a depressed drunk, forced into investigating the murder of a minor priestess amidst the usual political machinations of Ancient Egypt. Interesting twist of a deity helping with the increasingly complicated mystery.
Thanks, Fracula, for this quick Egyptian escape!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 08, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/8/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Brought the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 20, 2011

Picked this up at the January get together at the Joshua Tree Cafe.

An excellent story that drew me in from beginning to end. It's a very well written murder mystery placed back in Ancient Egypt. Though I did have the mystery solved before the end of the book. I liked all the different elements they brought into the story.

Thanks for the great read!

Journal Entry 7 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/12/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the Joshua Tree Cafe for a BC get together

Journal Entry 8 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 12, 2011

I am very happy to have picked this up at the meeting today! I`ve always been infatuated with ancient Egypt! And with 3 great reviews in a row how could I go wrong
Adding to my TBR pile

Journal Entry 9 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 11, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/12/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Good stuff! I love ancient Egypt and I love mysteries, so this book was great because it is both! That said, I still like Pauline Gedge better ;-)
I am taking this to the Bookcrossing meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 02, 2012

OK - I can't believe I never journalled this when I brought it home. I was checking the bottom of the pile and saw this and thought I really should get around to reading it as thought my husband might enjoy it also. By 20 pages in I was hooked. Loved how he thought things through and also the luck he had. Passed it on to my husband as he loves historical fiction and realized I really should have had him do the project I wanted him to do BEFORE he got this as he had trouble putting it down once he started.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Singsong passed to me when I returned home.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the meetup to be passed on or left on the shelves.

An interesting mystery with a somewhat unsatisfying ending but I have hopes that the next book in the series might bring that little plot point to a satisfactory conclusion.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 13 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Picked up this book at the July BC meeting.

Journal Entry 14 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Haven't gotten around to reading this. Rather then hanging onto it for an indefinate amount of time will pass it on.

Journal Entry 15 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the to the May bookcrossing meeting to pass onto the next reader

Journal Entry 16 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Picked this up at May's meeting... Once again I came home with way too many books. This one may be sitting on my TBR shelf for awhile.