corner corner A Woman of Independent Means

A Woman of Independent Means
by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingvalpetewing of Walnut Creek, California USA on 10/22/2010

status (set by ReallyBookish): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, October 22, 2010

I just read this for a book discussion group and every one loved it. I found it on another BCer's Wishlist. Sending it along for your reading pleasure!

Journal Entry 2 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, October 22, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (10/26/2010 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjumpinginwing at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thanks very much, valpete. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

This book intrigued me. It was very interesting to see how the reader could get to know all the characters--and their reactions to and thoughts about the main character--even though the story was told completely through the letters of Bess.

Thanks for sharing, valpete!

Journal Entry 5 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, October 31, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (10/30/2014 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sent to booklady331, who requested it from bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, November 06, 2014

The book arrived today. Thank you very much for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015

an interesting way to write a book. I felt like I came to know the characters. What is interesting was to see how what was happening in the world had very little effect of Bess. The concept of an independent woman was interesting, but probably would not have worked well on a woman who did not have the money to do what Bess did. Trust to find a new reader for this book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/6/2015 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Wishlist KTM RABCK to ReallyBookish

Journal Entry 9 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This arrived today from booklady331. Thank you so much! It looks like a gem, and I'm sure I will be getting to it soon. I look forward to reading it -- thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 30, 2016

Hmm... I seem to be in the minority here, as everyone else appeared to like this book a lot. This one simply didn't work for me because of the main character. I didn't find Bess the least bit likable. In fact, I disliked her -- strongly! She struck me as arrogant, entitled, controlling, and manipulative. Ugh!

The book, an epistolary novel, was well-written; however, I just couldn't get past the fact that I heartily disliked the protagonist.

Hopefully the next reader will find the book more to their liking!

Journal Entry 11 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 04, 2016

Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"A bestselling sensation when it was first published by Viking in 1978, A Woman of Independent Means has delighted millions of readers and was the inspiration for the television miniseries starring Sally Field.

At the turn of the century, a time when women had few choices, Bess Steed Garner inherits a legacy—not only of wealth but of determination and desire, making her truly a woman of independent means. From the early 1900s through the 1960s, we accompany Bess as she endures life's trials and triumphs with unfailing courage and indomitable spirit: the sacrifices love sometimes requires of the heart, the flaws and rewards of marriage, the often-tested bond between mother and child, and the will to defy a society that demands conformity. Now, with this beautiful trade paperback edition, Penguin will introduce a new generation of readers to this richly woven story. . .and to Bess Steed Garner, a woman for all ages."

Journal Entry 12 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 24, 2017

Removing from the General Literature VBB and making available.

Journal Entry 13 by wingReallyBookishwing at GIANT Food in Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, August 20, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (8/20/2017 UTC) at GIANT Food in Horsham, Pennsylvania USA

Will release at the grocery store. I hope the finder enjoys it!