corner corner Somebody Else's Daughter

Somebody Else's Daughter
by Elizabeth Brundage | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingHerchellewing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

status (set by Crossing-Guard): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingHerchellewing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Found a few more books today to shore up my toppling Mount TBR

Journal Entry 2 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

From your Mt. TBR to my Mt. TBR...

Thanks a ton, herchelle!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, October 17, 2011

Somebody Else's Daughter is a literary page-turner peopled with fascinating and disturbing characters. In the idyllic Berkshires, at the prestigious Pioneer School, there are dark secrets that threaten to come to light. Willa Golding, a student, has been brought up by her adoptive parents in elegant prosperity, but they have fled a mysterious and shameful past. Her biological father, a failing writer and former drug addict, needs to see the daughter he abandoned, and so he gains a teaching position at the school. A feminist sculptor initiates a reckless affair, the Pioneer students live in a world to which adults turn a blind eye, and the headmaster's wife is busy keeping her husband's current indiscretions well hidden. Building to a breathtaking collision between two fathers--biological and adoptive, past and present-- Somebody Else's Daughter is both a suspenseful thriller and a probing study of richly conflicted characters in emotional turmoil.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, October 17, 2011

I really enjoyed this story. It was like peelling back layers of secrets in a small town where everything looks perfect on the surface, but secrets abound.

Very satisying from start to end and I will look for other titles by this author.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the January meet-up of Calgary Book-Crossers - Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Picked up at January get together

Journal Entry 7 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, June 22, 2012

There were a whole lot of different plots going on through the story, and once or twice I had to re-look up who certain characters were. And there was also a bit too much drinking, teenaged drugs, and affairs for my usual taste. Some of the plot points were predictable. However, it was very well written, was interesting and had good characterization. The different sculptures used for separating the different parts of the book was also a cool idea.

Thanks for the interesting read!

Journal Entry 8 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together at the Joshua Tree cafe

Journal Entry 9 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Picked up at the July Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 30, 2012

This was actually quite a creepy story, because the story focused mostly on everyone's dirty secrets. There wasn't as much focus on Willa's relationship with her biological and adoptive father as I thought there would be, but that was, actually, one of my favourite plots, and I thought it resolved the best.

I kind of wonder if people are really that unpleasant.

Remember to journal this book and pass it on, it relies on you to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 11 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 10, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken back to the Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

The Calgary Bookcrossing group meets every second Saturday in the Joshua Tree. Join us on Facebook!

Journal Entry 12 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 24, 2012

Sorry so late registering this.....Crossing Guard brought it home for me and then I went on holidays....

Journal Entry 13 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

This was an interesting book. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, I guess like dentric trees I would have like more about Willa and her dad. I quite liked most of the characters and found it hard to watch them implode. None the less I did enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 14 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at the Joshua Tree Cafe - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 15 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Picked this up at today's meeting. How did I come home with so many books? Adding to my TBR mountain.