corner corner The Brethren

The Brethren
by John Grisham | Literature & Fiction
Registered by MapheadMike of Norfolk, Virginia USA on 10/10/2010

status (set by nicolesinger): available

Journal Entry 1 by MapheadMike from Norfolk, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 10, 2010

I think I'd read this one before. The plot is intriguing, but like in most Grisham books, the bad guys never get their comeuppance. I guess not everyone lives happily ever after either.

To the finder,
Thank you for taking this book. I hope you enjoy it as much or more than I did. Please take a moment to log your find, either anonymously, or through an account on bookcrossing.com.

Journal Entry 2 by MapheadMike at Newport, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/13/2010 UTC) at Newport, North Carolina USA

The package with the wishlist book just wasn't heavy enough, so I added this one to the box and sent it to...

Journal Entry 3 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Friday, October 15, 2010

...me! What an unexpected treat, especially as I wasn't expecting any books at all. I'm not a huge Grisham fan, but I've enjoyed the books of his I've read, and I'll definitely want to read this before I pass it along.

Thanks so much, QOCMike!

Journal Entry 4 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 31, 2011

This was a lot of fun. Lots of great details thrown in for amusement value. There were some objectionable stereotypes of gay men and I didn't care for that, but the comments did make sense in the mouths of the characters who said them, so I will give Grisham the benefit of the doubt there.

In a Florida prison, three former judges are running a prison scam. Elsewhere in the country, a Congressman is offered money and support to run for higher office on a rather sinister platform. Before long, the two groups are on a collision course. I was left guessing until the end about who would get what over on whom and whether anyone would crash and burn, and it didn't turn out nearly as I expected it to.

I don't plan to do anything that would get me sent to prison, but if I ever do, I hope it's a minimum security federal prison!

I will pass this book along or release it. Thanks again for the fun read!