corner corner Mother of Storms

Mother of Storms
by John Barnes | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on Saturday, October 02, 2010

status (set by -Kata-): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, October 02, 2010

"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

This is a wild story about a giant hurricane in the Pacific ocean that was started accidentally by a nuclear explosion. Many other hurricanes also spin off from it. The story takes place some time in the near future when the world is linked by virtual reality networks that people use to experience what others are experiencing first hand. A great romp of a story that takes the reader all over the world. I also enjoyed "A Million Open Doors" and "Orbital Resonance" by John Barnes.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, October 02, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/2/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This book is a surprise gift to thallase in Finland. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Saturday, October 09, 2010

Received the surprise gift yesterday, thank you so much!! I have been wanting to read this book ever since I heard about it in... was it 2006 or so? Meanwhile, Barnes has become my new favourite author, even though I have read only two novels by him.

Journal Entry 4 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Saturday, January 15, 2011

I enjoy a good climate disaster story, and this got plenty of superhurricanes and enormous storms. There were lots of characters and each one was potrayed with interest, even a child-raping sadistic killer. This is one of Barnes' skills: his touch is very human and he seems to understand _all_ kinds of people. I also felt like Barnes had crammed stuff for several books in this one; other topics were e.g. implants and networks offering people a chance to be another person, human consciousness being loaded inside a machine, a sex criminal is hunted. Complex and interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by Thalasse at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland

I'll give the book to a fellow Bookcrosser. I hope you will enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thank you for the book!

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I honestly tried to read the book, but it just didn't get me hooked. Therefore I gave up after 50 pages or so. I guess there was too much stuff and people in it, although the themes are interesting.
I'll think of a place where to release this so that it can again find more appreciating readers.

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu at Yliopisto/University in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Released 3 mos ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Yliopisto/University in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland

To be released at the bookcrossing table at the scifi/fantasy convention Finncon 2014 in the University.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

This was one of the "leftover books" that I picked up from the Bookcrossing table at Finncon when the convention ended on Sunday. The book is now back in Tampere... I'm going to release it somewhere in the near future.

Journal Entry 10 by wing-Kata-wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I took this from our local BC meeting. "One of the best disaster novels ever" sounds interesting enough! :D