corner corner Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in Japan as Hebi ni Piasu)

Sharing books

Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in Japan as Hebi ni Piasu)
by Hitomi Kanehara | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingmegami-no-ushiwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/14/2010

status (set by Bookworm-lady): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 15, 2010

This book won the Akutagawa Prize for it's author - one of the youngest to do so.

From the inside flap:

An underground world.
A murder.
An international phenomenon.
Snakes and earrings...

Enchanted by the snakelike tongue of a stranger called Ama, nineteen-year-old Lui takes a walk into another side of life. On the Tokyo streets, she finds a world where pain bleeds into pleasure. Where day fades into night. And where right turns into wrong.

I found this book to be a quick and somewhat disturbing read. The extreme body modification sub-culture is one that I have difficulty understanding since the idea of doing those sorts of things to myself is disturbing to me on a visceral level. It was also quite explicit, just to warn prospective readers.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/2/2010 UTC) at VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Taking this to the post office at lunch to be sent off to Tsjara in Europe!

Journal Entry 3 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, November 11, 2010

Got here safely, thanks megami-no-ushi! And for the beautiful card and Howl's Moving Castle sticky note too! (it's one of my favorite movies) ^_^ The book looks great, looking forward to reading it :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 17, 2011

Not sure what to think of this little book. The story was kind of depressing, strange and disturbing.. but told in a very detached way by the protagonist (Lui). It gave an interesting view into a darker side of Tokyo, though I still don't understand the need or fascination with body modification (just the idea of splitting my tongue makes me shudder.. ugh..). However, the story was well told and kept me reading. The outcome had me rather confused though (how could she be okay with it?).
Seems there is a movie too, but I don't think I would want to see it :p
Thanks for sharing the book megami-no-ushi :)

I think I'll put it in a VBB..

Journal Entry 5 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/28/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On its way to a bookcrosser who won this in a VBB raffle... :)

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 02, 2012

Wow, thanks! Sounds quite interesting - and just a tiny bit scary :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, June 29, 2012

I agree with the previous journalers: this was a disturbing read. I don't understand why anyone would want to mutilate their body willingly (I don't even like tattoos, never mind splitting your tongue!) and I don't understand S/M either.

I've read a couple of other new(ish) Japanese novels and they've all shared the same, weird feeling of detachment, which is another thing I don't get. The story and the characters seem very shallow to me, things happen to them and they just drift along without showing any feeling. I'm not sure why that is - I don't know Japanese culture nearly well enough to interpret it.

I'm satisfied I managed to finish this book, but I'm not going to seek out Kanehara's other books (if she has published more).

This book will now travel on to soozreader who picked it from a Finnish VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thank you very much for this book, I look forward to reading it!:)

Journal Entry 9 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, September 02, 2015

I think this was a strange book about tattoos, piercings, body modifications, violence and dependency... Not really my kind of a read in the end but I did read it:)

This book is reserved for the EU - Already Crossed VBB
Edit 21.09.2015 This was not chosen in the VBB, will release it some other way.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 31, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (10/31/2015 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

One Book a Month RABCK - October. The book is on its way to China and to the next reader. Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 11 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The book arrived in China, thanks a lot Soozreader for offering it to me!

Journal Entry 12 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Monday, April 04, 2016

This is a short book, not for the faint hearted. We have really explicite description of body modification, SM, etc.

But I found fascinating how the author delves into the mind of what we could typically call "disanchanted youth" and Japan counter-culture.

Journal Entry 13 by BaiLong at Book & Bookmark , Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 04, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/5/2016 UTC) at Book & Bookmark , Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

The book will be on its way soon to the winner!

Journal Entry 14 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Thank you so much, BaiLong, for sending this well-travelled book my way (I enjoyed the previous readers' posts, and it seems certainly intriguing!)
Thanks for the most beautiful and delicate bookmark, and for taking the time to write a friendly note to me, really appreciated.