corner corner A Week in December

A Week in December
by Sebastian Faulks | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BookGroupMan of Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on 9/10/2010

status (set by Uncruliar): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 10, 2010

I would have got around to this eventually, but half-price at WHSmith's was just too good an offer to ignore. I'm intrigued at the ridiculous over-the-top blurb comments, comparing this to Dickens & Thackeray, a work that, '...fictionalise(s) the state of the nation'. Well, let me be the judge of that!

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, January 03, 2011

(28/12/10) Well, i'm not sure Faulks can be compared to the esteemed C19th writers, but he has written a complex and fascinating novel of its time...maybe in 50 to 100 years 'A Week in December' can be judged? I must admit this was a slow-burn for me, I struggled to see the point of the interlinked stories, until about 3/4 of the way through when some of the threads began to come together at a hospital (a metaphor for a sick society?), not on a train or the dinner party that I had earlier thought. As for the individual characters, there was a mixture of the likable (solicitor Gabriel, train driver Jenni), unlikable (hedge fund manager John Veals and his son, and reviewer R.Tranter), and the more complex (Farooq & Hassan), and a too-large cast of others. In the end I liked that Faulks created a couple of happy endings, and not too many loose ends. No doubt, there are a number of more sophisticated allegories about our modern world; the obsession with money and short-term fame, the breakdown of families, the undercurrents of detachment, cynicism and religious fundamentalism etc. etc. But in the end, the writer has to engage the reader with 'real' people, whether they are nice (empathetic) or nasty ('hissable' but understandable) - Faulks didn't always get it right, but 7*'s for the effort :)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 22, 2011

Passed on to my DD to read - on its way up to Lancaster Uni...I may never see it again!

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, February 04, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

A belated release to my DD, studying in Lancaster...but meeting up in Birmingham. Here's hoping you will let this go after a few bookcrossing false starts!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/14/2011 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to today's Ipswich meet-up, to share and stock up the various Ipswich bookshelves. If you find this, enjoy, and welcome to bookcrossing :)

Journal Entry 6 by Uncruliar at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, May 15, 2011

Recently read my first ever Faulks and enjoyed it enough to pick this up yesterday. Having read BookGroupMan's review I'm wondering if I made a mistake. We'll see.

Journal Entry 7 by Uncruliar at Leiston, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Several of the individual story lines were quite engaging, in fact I would have liked to have known more about Gabriel and Jenni in particular. Perhaps that would have strayed into Mills and Boon territory and so may not be Faulks' style. I suppose I just have to accept that it is a testament to the quality of the writing that I found sme of the characters genuinely engaging. On the other hand I found much of the John Veals story line confusing and, frankly, boring; and I thought I had a reasonable grasp of economics for a layman.

Sadly there was one particular feature of the book which I found quite infuriating. Namely the references to 'Myplace' (I think - it was a couple of weeks ago and I can't find any references now as I flick through the book before releasing it) a fictional version of Facebook/Myspace. I was simply irritated by the incongruity and would have been much happier if one or other of those platforms had been used in the book. Perhaps there were legal issues. Elsewhere there was a reference to 'rectangular chocolate biscuits with a soft chocolate filling'. They are so obviously bourbons I really don't understand why they can't be named. I suppose it is petty but it got under my skin. Maybe I am being R Tranter-ish.

Journal Entry 8 by Uncruliar at Eel's Foot OBCZ in Eastbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/12/2011 UTC) at Eel's Foot OBCZ in Eastbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom

Left on the shelf opposite the piano.